Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Having a push toy stolen because it looked identical to one that was lost by a neighbor kiddie. Picking little red holly berries by the truckload, putting them in a bucket, and throwing them at the neighbor kid who stole my toy.

Hey, I live in Cali.

Me and most of the boys in my neighborhood were poor, we spent a lot of time fishing in the local rivers and ponds, we caught a lot of trout, bass, and horned pout, also pickerel and perch. In the summertime when it rained at night, we would go out with flashlights and catch night crawlers, large worms that came out of the ground to mate when the dirt was saturated. We would keep them in the cellar in a big galvanized tub with moss in it, and use them for bait. Our parents didn't worry if we were gone for half a day or more, they knew we were watching out for each other, and we'd come home with a big creel full of fish, clean them, and that would be dinner either that day or the next. It was a very small town, and everybody was known to each other. I go back there now and the place feels alien.

Sometimes a few of us daredevils would climb to the very top of some large pine trees, and look out over the town, just hanging out way up in the treetops. The scary part was climbing down. We swam in the river when the water was high, jumping off of the 30 foot high granite cliffs into the current, the older boys taunting those that hesitated.

When me and my brothers would stay up the hill at our grandparents house, we had the orchards to play in, they were owned by the family across the way from pépère's house, but the old man didn't mind us kids being there as long as we behaved. There were wild concord grapevines that produced a ton of fruit every year and we would eat those and green apples till we got stomach aches. We would feed the dairy cows the tall grass that they just couldn't reach through the barbed wire, and apples, we'd give them apples. The farmer didn't like that, he said it makes them drunk :)
Pépère and I were quite close, we would walk in the woods for hours and just be there, seeing the wildlife, picking wintergreen berries, and talking...

In my teens I felt very displaced. Nothing made very much sense to me, the war, the hippies, the protests and riots on the TV. I had a paper route and did a lot of odd jobs for the elderly customers on my route. I would hang out with them afterwards and just talk. We were in the same boat at different ends of the age spectrum, we were without a place to be or a purpose it seemed to me...

My childhood was very special looking back, I wish more folks could have experienced the same type of things that I have been fortunate to have enjoyed. Now I'm feeling a little weird writing all of this down here...

POST OF THE WEEK HERE, Sir ENAUD. :thumbs:

LOVED this!

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Every once in a while, a group of posts comes along that give me a cause-to-pause. This is one of those times.

ENAUD, I agree with Kat - I LOVED THAT POST.

Along with quite a few of the others. Just great memories and all 100% sincere. Marvelous stuff, folks - thank you.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Fishing, sledding, forts, set up jumps for our bikes, kill the kid with the ball, snowballs at cars, blow up model cars & motorcycles with firecrackers, stealing smokes and beers from our folks, bang the steel trashcan we aimed at the vice principle's house with sticks to get chased by the cops, TWTD :)

ropeswings, always ropeswings - "There are many ways to enter a swimming pool and the ladder isn't one"

Do you live on my street too, by any chance? ;)

Another BIG :thumbs:.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Me and most of the boys in my neighborhood were poor, we spent a lot of time fishing in the local rivers and ponds, we caught a lot of trout, bass, and horned pout, also pickerel and perch. In the summertime when it rained at night, we would go out with flashlights and catch night crawlers, large worms that came out of the ground to mate when the dirt was saturated. We would keep them in the cellar in a big galvanized tub with moss in it, and use them for bait. Our parents didn't worry if we were gone for half a day or more, they knew we were watching out for each other, and we'd come home with a big creel full of fish, clean them, and that would be dinner either that day or the next. It was a very small town, and everybody was known to each other. I go back there now and the place feels alien.

Sometimes a few of us daredevils would climb to the very top of some large pine trees, and look out over the town, just hanging out way up in the treetops. The scary part was climbing down. We swam in the river when the water was high, jumping off of the 30 foot high granite cliffs into the current, the older boys taunting those that hesitated.

When me and my brothers would stay up the hill at our grandparents house, we had the orchards to play in, they were owned by the family across the way from pépère's house, but the old man didn't mind us kids being there as long as we behaved. There were wild concord grapevines that produced a ton of fruit every year and we would eat those and green apples till we got stomach aches. We would feed the dairy cows the tall grass that they just couldn't reach through the barbed wire, and apples, we'd give them apples. The farmer didn't like that, he said it makes them drunk :)
Pépère and I were quite close, we would walk in the woods for hours and just be there, seeing the wildlife, picking wintergreen berries, and talking...

In my teens I felt very displaced. Nothing made very much sense to me, the war, the hippies, the protests and riots on the TV. I had a paper route and did a lot of odd jobs for the elderly customers on my route. I would hang out with them afterwards and just talk. We were in the same boat at different ends of the age spectrum, we were without a place to be or a purpose it seemed to me...

My childhood was very special looking back, I wish more folks could have experienced the same type of things that I have been fortunate to have enjoyed. Now I'm feeling a little weird writing all of this down here...

What a WONDERFUL post! I enjoyed every word TWICE! Thanks for giving such a nice snapshot into your childhood. Yes, thank you!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

I liked it! I remember growing up during the Viet Nam war. My P's would have the news on and it was always showing our boys getting shot and killed, being rushed out of the jungles on stretchers. I had older brothers of many of my friends who went to Viet Nam...those who didn't were hippies. I grew up thinking that's just what people do...kill each other. I figured I would be doing the same thing when I got old enough. Never doubted it. The last US chopper lifted out of Saigon just two years before I was old enough to be eligible.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Thanks for the kind words, each and every one of you. My wife and I are going up north to visit family and friends soon, I tend to get a tad reflective whenever I visit home.
I was born in Highland Park, MI (Detroit). It was a community of starter homes. Nice little town. Moved out when I was an infant. Now it is a burnt out hell hole and you take your life in your hands if you dare walk the streets.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Bronze, your post regarding those times really struck a chord with me. I have recollections of those newscasts, Walter Cronkite, the daily body counts, as a small boy I remember asking my mom if I would have to go to war when I got big. She replied yes, if your country needs you son.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
I liked it! I remember growing up during the Viet Nam war. My P's would have the news on and it was always showing our boys getting shot and killed, being rushed out of the jungles on stretchers. I had older brothers of many of my friends who went to Viet Nam...those who didn't were hippies. I grew up thinking that's just what people do...kill each other. I figured I would be doing the same thing when I got old enough. Never doubted it. The last US chopper lifted out of Saigon just two years before I was old enough to be eligible.

I must be father time. Grew up a hippy, went to the sewer of the earth, and returned a hippy. End of story, except I'd rather take a bullet to the head then buy anything made in vietnam.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Bronze, your post regarding those times really struck a chord with me. I have recollections of those newscasts, Walter Cronkite, the daily body counts, as a small boy I remember asking my mom if I would have to go to war when I got big. She replied yes, if your country needs you son.
I never asked my Mom. I figured it was just what big boys did when they became of age. I turn 18 and I go to a jungle and shoot people and get shot at. Just thought it was a part of life. Some would come back home, others wouldn't.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I must be father time. Grew up a hippy, went to the sewer of the earth, and returned a hippy. End of story, except I'd rather take a bullet to the head then buy anything made in vietnam.
Returning is the most important part.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

Glad you made it back, Ping.

You're a bit ahead of Bronze and me. I too watched it all on TV, at a relatively tender age. I recall having nightmares about war. I lived my life very-much anti-war because of those experiences.

Until 2001. 'Nuff said.

Kat told me that the P3 Ti's are on special this week. Not a good situation. Thankfully, not the Stealth ones (or I'd be done).

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Go for the TI P3.

A light year ahead of you and Bronze and anyone else on this thread.

And WHAT would I do with a Ti P3, I ask???

Now that Stealthy Ti (with all due respect & genuflection to Mamu), well, it's another story. With that one, I can go on the attack, dressed like a tree even! Did you SEE that video? That's what I can some fun.

Regarding your light-year'ness, I can only speak for myself when I say that it's a not a very far jump to accomplish that which you stated. Even Larry Bird would make it. And the only time his feet get off the ground is when is laying down.

Go Knicks!
I can believe I even typed that. How embarrassing.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Kat told me that the P3 Ti's are on special this week. Not a good situation. Thankfully, not the Stealth ones (or I'd be done).

Is it me or do you keep raising the stakes? First you were waiting for a Ti P3 (was it gun metal before that?), but now that it's out and on sale it's not good enough.

ETA: I just saw a polished/satin hybrid on ProVape. I wasn't aware of that one.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
And WHAT would I do with a Ti P3, I ask???

I can't explain it to a Dolphins fan. No I can't.

On another subject I can't explain to you my Plasma Tank arrived and is in the drying mode at this time. I hope Karl's arrived or close to his mailbox.

Where on earth is RB?

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Is it me or do you keep raising the stakes? First you were waiting for a Ti P3 (was it gun metal before that?), but now that it's out and on sale it's not good enough.

It's not you it's the CA CT couple who can't decide. You'd think they lived in Ohio the undecided state.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

ETA: I just saw a polished/satin hybrid on ProVape. I wasn't aware of that one.

It's not you it's the CA CT couple who can't decide. You'd think they lived in Ohio the undecided state.

I'm afraid you're both off base, albeit just slightly. And given the fact that I've setup shop in the P3 thread, it's quite understandable. A refresher:
  1. I purchased a v2.5 Ti shortly after they were released. I didn't care about the cost because I knew I'd love it. I did, and still do (love it).
  2. I lobbied hard for them to put the v2.5 GMZ on "special", at which point I committed to buy one.
  3. I ended up getting one before they ever did but them on special, but DID end up buying one when they DID (drop in price).
  4. The P3 was only ever a marginal interest to me, but I did say (at one point) that the only one I'd even consider would be a Ti (which was not yet available at the time). But I never indicated that I would get one (as I had clearly done with the v2.5 GMZ).
  5. The Stealth Ti makes my heart beat a bit faster. If they had that same thing, but in v2.5 (at a cost reflective of the "lesser" version), I'd pounce.
Fact #1: I like the v2.5. I LIKE THE OLD MENU, and I like the operation. And I like the fact that it costs a whole lot less than the P3. This is not a knock on the P3 - just a personal preference. One of the reasons I sold off two SX Minis was because the menu drove me absolutely nuts. I am a very simple man, and cannot absorb too much information at one time.

So scrolling menus, with IQ, blood pressure, and INR readings simply don't work for me. I'm sorry but it's the truth.

Do I lose my entry pass into this joint now?

Fact #2: If they came out with a true v2.75 (old menu, new top cap), I'd pounce. Maybe I'm glad they haven't because I'd want to replace all of my 2.5's with that one. Or at least most of them.

Fact #3: The day ProVape makes a box mod, I'm in. I dig boxes. :pervy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread