Boxer Mod 200W with Evolv DNA200 Temperature Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
I thought the limit would be lower in temp mode like current devices.

Not with the DNA200 which is one of the many, many, many reasons it is sooo awesome! The only limit on wattage is on the dual 18650 mods (to 133 watts) which was done by Evolv through their software because of the lower input voltage (I believe) of having 2 18650s as opposed to a 3 cell LiPo.

I am super excited, I am waiting for tomorrow to see Yozhik's impression of the alumylon, but I am going for that or the black in a DNA133 Boxer.

Last edited:
Reactions: mario23

Landman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Central AR
Speaking of the Boxer DNA200's being sent out... I received an email earlier today from GV stating they had pulled the orders from shipping because they're uncomfortable with the configuration of the board's main power-in and connections. I don't know if they stopped every single order from going out or just most of them, but it looks like there will be a delay. They have emails in to Evolv and hope to get the issues resolved this week.

Oh well... the Opus will have to wait for a break and continue it's full time duties. :thumb:

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Speaking of the Boxer DNA200's being sent out... I received an email earlier today from GV stating they had pulled the orders from shipping because they're uncomfortable with the configuration of the board's main power-in and connections. I don't know if they stopped every single order from going out or just most of them, but it looks like there will be a delay. They have emails in to Evolv and hope to get the issues resolved this week.

Oh well... the Opus will have to wait for a break and continue it's full time duties. :thumb:

I was on the phone with GV a little bit ago. They discovered an issue with the wiring, so they've recalled what they shipped and hope to have the issue resolved and restart shipping out mods by Wednesday. They are pretty much erring on the side of caution so that we all remain happy customers over the long term, even if it means us having to wait a few more days.

On the good side though, my shipment was the only one they couldn't stop (thus the call), so I'll get a chance to look at the Alumylon version briefly before shipping it back. :)

cimon

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2015
UK
I was on the phone with GV a little bit ago. They discovered an issue with the wiring, so they've recalled what they shipped and hope to have the issue resolved and restart shipping out mods by Wednesday. They are pretty much erring on the side of caution so that we all remain happy customers over the long term, even if it means us having to wait a few more days.

On the good side though, my shipment was the only one they couldn't stop (thus the call), so I'll get a chance to look at the Alumylon version briefly before shipping it back. :)

That will be great to see close up photos. Im wonder of back (fixed) cover. It was changer (redesigned).

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
Yozhik: sorry to hear the bad news that you have to send your Boxer back upon receiving it, I hope this is a quick fix. However, I did want to say thank you a million times and I greatly appreciate you still taking the time to take some pictures of the Boxer when you receive it to benefit the rest of us. This is going a long way in my decision (and seems like other peoples' decisions) of what to buy in terms of color! Thank you!

Last edited:

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
drKs16s.jpg

L9Aw8LQ.jpg

A0SfG6v.jpg

H9LhC8H.jpg

PSN2GVk.jpg

ccF3B6R.jpg

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
I took photos using my iPhone 5, which admittedly is not the best camera.

I didn't fire the unit - it's locked, but I did throw on the Kanger STM without a coil/rba to show dimensions.

Thoughts:
- Alumylon is definitely a more rigid/stronger plastic - buttons still work fine.
- Alumylon has a different texture - a little more grippy.
- Alumylon does have a slight metallic sheen to it.
- The extra length of the battery pack makes it less ergo-friendly than the dual 18650 model (love versus like sort of thing).
- Screen is considerably bigger than the sx350J.
- LiPo being held in by the clip is quite firm - this takes any momentum from the battery translating into the battery door cover if dropped.
- Battery door is a good secure fit - doesn't easily pop off.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
What's the issue with the wiring, from what you can see in the pics, it looks pretty clean...?

They're switching the wiring on the battery to 16 gauge (Evolv recommends 18 to 14 gauge for the battery using PVC wire), as they feel with a larger gauge the solder connection one can achieve isn't strong enough for long term use. The DNA 200 uses a surface mount solder connection for the battery wires, rather than a through hole solder connection, which consequently makes it harder to get a strong solder connection with the larger gauge wire. If you never or rarely changed the battery, it probably wouldn't ever be an issue.

Reactions: xtwosm0kesx

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
They're switching the wiring on the battery to 16 gauge (Evolv recommends 18 to 14 gauge for the battery using PVC wire), as they feel with a larger gauge the solder connection one can achieve isn't strong enough for long term use. The DNA 200 uses a surface mount solder connection for the battery wires, rather than a through hole solder connection, which consequently makes it harder to get a strong solder connection with the larger gauge wire. If you never or rarely changed the battery, it probably wouldn't ever be an issue.

That's accurate, on my homebrew DNA200 brick i stepped the battery leads from 14g down to 16g and hard-soldered the battery to the board since i didn't have any xt60/30's or anything similar on hand at the time, the 14g definitely would've been a bigger pain.

Better safe than sorry i suppose(especially if its gonna affect their desire to honor warranty), but looking at it, don't know if i'd even bother sending it back, going to have to pull pretty hard on that battery to pop a solder, even on a larger wire.

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
Yozhik: what color SX Boxer did you have? Are you happy with the alumylon now that you have seen one in person? After seeing those pictures, I think I'll go for the alumylon in my 18650 Boxer. My only concern is how it will hold up over time because it does have that metallic shine to it - that might scratch off?

Edit: just wanted to say thank you again for posting those pictures. As amazing and responsive as Ginger Vaper support was, they were not able to provide pictures (such as the ones that you provided) that I was asking for.

Last edited:

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yozhik: what color SX Boxer did you have? Are you happy with the alumylon now that you have seen one in person? After seeing those pictures, I think I'll go for the alumylon in my 18650 Boxer. My only concern is how it will hold up over time because it does have that metallic shine to it - that might scratch off?

The aluminum is mixed throughout the polyamide, so it can't rub off like a coating. Also, since it's not dyed, it won't fade if left out under the hot sun. The material can get dirty, but you can wash it with soap and water using a hand cloth.

As to the aesthetics, I think it has to be judged both in terms of texture and looks. In terms of texture, the aluminum adds grit to the texture. This makes it feel a bit more like stone than plastic when holding it, which I like. Sort of like a whetstone, except obviously one shouldn't sharpen their knives with it.

In terms of looks, the aluminum gives the mod a differing look depending on light. Under bright light, the reflective aspect of the aluminum makes the mod rather interesting to look at. In low light, it's more of a flat grey tone. Regardless, in both cases I think it looks way better than the photos of the "distressed grey" pure polyamide version.

In terms of color preference, I already have the black sx350j boxer. It's nice, but black is kind of a safe yet boring color. Kinda wished I had gone with blue back then, but then maybe I'd have been thinking with the blue I should have done green or orange. It's sort of like my red Jeep. I really like the color, then I see one in a different color and I go, oh that'd be cool to have. Heck, I was even really tempted by the bright yellow version of the Jeep they offered when I bought my red one (there'd have been no problem finding that car, unless I parked it next to some school buses). So given that, I like the Alumylon look, especially under good light, but at the same time, I'd be lying if I didn't say I also still covet some of the other colors available. The one thing though is that I'd probably miss the texture of Alumylon compared to the pure polyamide colored versions.

Put another way, would I buy it again? Too early to tell, I really haven't used the chip at all, which has yet to prove its value to me. Nonetheless, I'd say the ergonomics on the 18650 version are more to my liking. So unless the DNA 200 is a disappointment, my suspicion is that I might end up wishing I had the Alumylon 18650 over the Alumylon LiPo, but otherwise happy (and yet still coveting other Boxers). ;)

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
To better understand the ergonomic difference, look at how my fingers end up on the two different models. With the 18650, it's perfect fit on my hand for that hold, while with the LIPo my finger joints don't quite make it past the battery. So with the LiPo version, I'll probably have to hold it the other way shown in the above photos to make it a more comfortable hold. Time will tell...

And to the extent anyone what's to know my hand size, I wear large size gloves in the winter. ;)

6uO6mrv.jpg

A0SfG6v.jpg

Reactions: Dobo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread