Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Yeah. The wire box says on it UD Roll coils Youde Technology. The sticker on the back says '28 awg*2*Ribbon*5m Twisted Kanthal (3 wires).'

For my taste it's a little brittle of a wire which I don't like since the terminals clamp it down sometimes the grounding terminal snaps the 3 wire twist and then the whole vape misfires which I hate. Had to rebuild a few days ago with a 2-post atty in the simplest of 5 wraps with medium wick.

Now it works fine. Still in my opinion a bit of a mystery. Manufacturers website here for the wire. Likely wire in the coil I'm guessing.

Stuff seems brittle in my opinion in the future I will probably just roll a pure nickel non-twisted wire for ease and temperature control. This twisted wire snapped and caused one of my coils to non-ground itself between the grounding terminal and the coil. Fixed but hazard for sure if not noticed while dripping the juice. Overall though I'm actually using the same wire in a two post, two coil build on a aluminum atty which works fine. 5 wraps and good wick job (pat on back). Thing throws clouds pretty good on 50w with lots of airflow.

If they're UD prebuilt what sounds like tiger coils they're Kanthal A1. I personally dislike prebuilt coils...unless I know the builder. And the builder is almost always me. So I like my coils. Order some wire for yourself! Kanthal isn't compatible with TC...yet. Since you have a TC mod you should get some 28g Ni200 wire, and I'd say 24g Kanthal A1 since you think the UD wire feels brittle. The 28g Ni200 is brittle in a sense, it's just really really bendy and sensitive but easy to work with once you understand it.

Well, I decided to hold off on the pheno-L.. for now. I just want to see more reviews/feedback on it before I take the leap.. probably buy one later this month. Went to twisted messes site to order a couple decks and saw he released a blacked out RDA w/ gold plated pos pin. I'll let you know what I think in a couple days. :banana:

I just checked out twisted messes website and that black atty is effing dope. I may have to get it lol.

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
If they're UD prebuilt what sounds like tiger coils they're Kanthal A1. I personally dislike prebuilt coils...unless I know the builder. And the builder is almost always me. So I like my coils. Order some wire for yourself! Kanthal isn't compatible with TC...yet. Since you have a TC mod you should get some 28g Ni200 wire, and I'd say 24g Kanthal A1 since you think the UD wire feels brittle. The 28g Ni200 is brittle in a sense, it's just really really bendy and sensitive but easy to work with once you understand it.

I just checked out twisted messes website and that black atty is effing dope. I may have to get it lol.

Twisted Messes, ohmboyoc, squidoode are all great builders and have great tutorials and reviews on the kind of attys people who build complicated will like. I can dig up their YouTube channels later if you like.

Tom and Slip are my sensais to building coils, always given sound advice and every little trick has worked. Get yourself some k1 and nichrome 80 20g - 40g of each lol

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Twisted Messes, ohmboyoc, squidoode are all great builders and have great tutorials and reviews on the kind of attys people who build complicated will like. I can dig up their YouTube channels later if you like.

Tom and Slip are my sensais to building coils, always given sound advice and every little trick has worked. Get yourself some k1 and nichrome 80 20g - 40g of each lol
Lol no not yet that's a ton of wires. And yeah they're all great builders, don't forget floral_face though & the entire NJ Coil Council.

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
speaking of UD
my first dual paralel ud clapton/26 kanthal build
.13 ohms is a bit too much for me but I need to test to extremes my mod
so far works great
sbcxRtR.jpg

It was a PITA to trap the leads on the negatives, but managed to :)

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia

Got one on the way homie. The doge v2s is sitting in my mailbox.

Superfecta_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2015
Colorado
don't forget floral_face though & the entire NJ Coil Council.

Funny you mention that guy, I follow him on IG, and just made this framed stapled build that hes been posting lately. I won't get to try it until I get my lightning vapes order for more ribbon for another coil. Looks sexy though. 8x.4ka1 ribbon framed with 2x26n80 fused up with 40n80.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
After making coils all weekend I'm burnt out, literally. So single Arched Clapton 26G N80 core, 30G K1 wrap. Edit: 0.29 ohm
View attachment 486114 View attachment 486115
I can't wait til my macro lens shows up. Taking pics through magnifying lens.
Making coils all weekend = making money all weekend. We all need a break sometimes Retro..on most Monday's I don't even want to look at a drill haha. Have you started braiding yet?

True, I forgot to show love to the council. Don't know florals work to well.
I met him at the NJ expo, very cool dude. He's on another level with his coils and retailing them. M.terk is probably the best builder in my area.

speaking of UD
my first dual paralel ud clapton/26 kanthal build
.13 ohms is a bit too much for me but I need to test to extremes my mod
so far works great
sbcxRtR.jpg

It was a PITA to trap the leads on the negatives, but managed to :)
My father has a tugboat v1 clone, and that thing is a pain to trap leads in, so when I built him a 26/32g Clapton parallel to 24g, I had to tie the Clapton leads around the screws and put the 24g in the post holes. Gotta think outside the box with small post holes

This is the thing with FT they will bring out so many versions of the same atty that some are awful and some can be better but what i did wanna show you is that on the same batch of those sapor's they did have this one which has all the same size post holes just to show you the variations that can happen between two items numbers but the same name $13.61 Authentic Wotofo Sapor RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

i only post the attys for you guys cus i see you all are interested in them, i'm still vvery happy with my Velocity and Tmesses and have no intentions on any more buys any time soon :)

I have a Question Tom, what template wire did you wrap your clapton wire over for the 4x 28g arched. The vid on youtube that shows the arched wire tutorial uses 3x 26g and 20g as the template? i dont remember its been a while
The arched vid with ohmboyoc has him doing 30/18g initial Clapton, then decoring, arching and 3x26g. I use 18g as my initial core but you can use 20g depending wrap gauge and on what you want to shove inside of the decored pinched wire. Once you start pinching the wire to get the arch look, it opens up more to allow for more wire to be passed through while remaining parallel. I used 18g, made a set with 5x30g cores with a 32gN80 wrap and the one with 4x28g/30g arch in my hobo was also around 18g. I have done 20g, but can only fit 2x26g inside comfortably.
Super macro:
image.jpg

Edit: side note...what should I do with this?
image.jpg
It's a triple interlocking 30g alien on a single strand of 24g. Stovetop it? Wrap n parallel it?

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
You know what Tom i'm gonna get me some 18g A1 and to actually vape on aswell as to do the 3x26g arched, the 20g A1 reel i have is getting low and that's been a very nice vape when you just wanna quickly chuck some wire in an atty ;)

i made myself a single stapled helix at 0.1ohm that is quite nice :) it seems really quite compared to an alien coil but is a nice little coil ....

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
You know what Tom i'm gonna get me some 18g A1 and to actually vape on aswell as to do the 3x26g arched, the 20g A1 reel i have is getting low and that's been a very nice vape when you just wanna quickly chuck some wire in an atty ;)

i made myself a single stapled helix at 0.1ohm that is quite nice :) it seems really quite compared to an alien coil but is a nice little coil ....
Don't limit yourself to only 3x26g, the ohms come out super low. I'm almost sure the formula for it is 3x26, 4xx28, 5x30 but you may be able to to for 6x30g if you make the arches super flat. I made that triple interlock out of scrap wire, who knew I'd actually have success when every other try was a fail haha
Staples are hard for me. Single strand ribbon staples are awesome though, the most recent staple I made for myself was 7 ply .6mm x .07mm with 40g. I got an 8&1/2" section of perfectly clean wire. Show me this staple helix you're talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread