CALIFORNIA VAPERS: Things are getting ugly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I'm fairly certain it would work similar to cigarettes, the average clerk and customer won't even be aware of it. It will be added into the wholesale cost to the retailer. Now... how that works for those "manufacturing" it, I'm not sure. Possibly they'll just pay the tax on the wholesale bulk nic liquid? If they do, we shouldn't have to pay a second tax.

ETA: In which case local "house brews" would become the more economical choice. That is, if shops are still allowed to manufacture house brews...
that would d make sense if in fact if nicotine was the issue.
nicotine as been a zero issue since 1964.
forget about nicotine.
lets get back to what might actually harm you.
insert your provable references here.
hi you all,
mike

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
that would d make sense if in fact if nicotine was the issue.
nicotine as been a zero issue since 1964.
forget about nicotine.
lets get back to what might actually harm you.
insert your provable references here.
hi you all,
mike
Oh, I'm not saying nicotine is harmful at all. However, if I were vape shop that mixed liquids, and I was ordering bulk PG and bulk VG, paying a wholesale tobacco tax on those would not sit well with me. If this were to pass, the only portion of their ingredients I would expect to be taxed would be the nic base.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
The two ingrediants for 0mg liquid are available in walk in retail everywhere. My calculation is a 2 liter bottle of 10% nic would cost me $100 and last me 8 YEARS. 2 days ago I took a couple of long time smokers on a walking tour at a museum. Not so long ago I must have been like them. I could see the burden they were carrying from smoking. It was heart breaking. I talked to the wife about my vape, showed off my rig and said go to a vape shop. She looked interested but where is public health encouraging her?
I think most people on this thread aside from Lessifer (he has a valid reason) are fairly well prepared for this should it all turn out badly for us either in CA, the FDA or both. In question to to support for your wife, you live in the wrong country. :( E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review - Press releases - GOV.UK
I'm fairly certain it would work similar to cigarettes, the average clerk and customer won't even be aware of it. It will be added into the wholesale cost to the retailer. Now... how that works for those "manufacturing" it, I'm not sure. Possibly they'll just pay the tax on the wholesale bulk nic liquid? If they do, we shouldn't have to pay a second tax.

ETA: In which case local "house brews" would become the more economical choice. That is, if shops are still allowed to manufacture house brews...
You don't think people will notice if their $20 30ml bottle suddenly costs $50+? I could barely afford my stuff when I first started (the time it worked). If they'd had that tax back then, it would have been cost prohibitive. It's going to discourage a lot of people from just trying vaping. This will kill people if they go through with it the way it seems to be written now.

I ran across this looking for pictures for the petition thread.

Funny-Kittens.jpg

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I think most people on this thread aside from Lessifer (he has a valid reason) are fairly well prepared for this should it all turn out badly for us either in CA, the FDA or both. In question to to support for your wife, you live in the wrong country. :( E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review - Press releases - GOV.UK

You don't think people will notice if their $20 30ml bottle suddenly costs $50+? I could barely afford my stuff when I first started (the time it worked). If they'd had that tax back then, it would have been cost prohibitive. It's going to discourage a lot of people from just trying vaping. This will kill people if they go through with it they it seems to be written now.

I ran across this looking for pictures for the petition thread.

Funny-Kittens.jpg
Oh, people will notice. I just meant that looking at a price tag on a bottle of juice it won't be obvious. It won't say: e-liquid $20, tobacco tax $19, total $39.

It will be like cigarettes where the price you see is $5, because the retailer bought it for $4 and $1.10 of that $4 went to the Federal Government, and $0.87 went to the state, except now it will be $7 because the state wants $2.87 since even though CA has one of the lowest smoking rates in the nation, we're just not keeping up with everyone else.

You are right about the cost being prohibitive. When many smokers are on either fixed or low incomes, they don't have an "additional" $100 to take a CHANCE on vaping.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Last time they tried to hike the tax, the people voted it down so this time they're just going to bypass the people. Makes perfect sense.
It's insane, even the TC experts know that they've pushed economic motivation as far as it can go. For the most part, the only people still smoking are those who DON'T WANT TO QUIT, or those who CAN'T through "traditional" methods. They are the ones who will continue to smoke and pay the higher costs, or find other ways of getting their smokes, and bypass the tax altogether.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Last time they tried to hike the tax, the people voted it down so this time they're just going to bypass the people. Makes perfect sense.

Why Run the Risk of screwing things up by doing the Will of the People if you are an Elected Official?

An Elected Official, who's job it is to Represent the Will of the People.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
We'll soon have the Mexican Cigarette Cartel.
Why Run the Risk of screwing things up by doing the Will of the People if you are an Elected Official?

An Elected Official, who's job it is to Represent the Will of the People.
Why did they have a limo on call for when they were too drunk to drive? Large egos.

ETA - And tax payers were paying for that limo.

Reactions: Lessifer

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa

We're expected to be the minions.

Once legislation is "in the books" it's extremely difficult for it to be even changed in any substantial way, let alone removed. This is the strategy of tyranny: it worked with the ACA. Pass the legislation first, and worry about the details later.
They don't have a clue or even a care about what they're doing, except to get the law "on the books".

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So I spoke with D-Sen Galgiani's aide today. AB-16 is pushed on to next years session schedule. It will be going to the Assembly first for Amendments and an up or down vote.

That gives us a decent headway to get in front of this. Speaking with some people, one of the things we've come to realize is that there is no CLEAR metrics on just how big of an impact the industry is here in california. Most companies are private, and do not want to share financial information.

I'd need some support, and probably a little assistance, but we can build an anonymous form so that we can get employment statistics, Gross revenues, property taxes paid, sales taxes paid etc to really shake things up. This is the hard data we need to bring in next year to our Assembly people to show just what they would be killing.

If you'd like to join me in getting this program and survey together, please drop me an email, me@johngrefe.com. I can accept PGP encrypted email here if you'd like to be sure your information is safe.

John - Congrevape / British American Juice / Jack Cali's

This was posted to CASAA's fb page a few minutes ago. I haven't tried to confirm any of it yet.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So there is still time to Fill a Freezer.

Right. Our leaders are so concerned about "safety" of our e-liquids. Just imagine how much safer things will be when every vaper in Ca starts stockpiling gallons of 10% nicotine...

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Just as I thought. Nothing happened, then it will be delayed or tabled indefinitely. Maybe all the money BT has been spending lobbying against these bills has paid off...
Even if one bill were pushed to next year, there are still the other five in play. I know you don't think anyone ever has to do anything about any possible legislation, I just don't really know why you feel the need to keep posting about it.

Or how you still believe it's a non-issue after Arkansas and Indiana

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread