Vaping at Disney (And Around Annoying Smokers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Andria, it's all relative :) On the subject of control freaks... let's say you are in a bar, and the bar allows vaping. There are 100 people in the bar, and 99 of them have no issue with your vaping and it is not bothering them. One person goes up to the manager or a bartender, behind your back, complaining. You are now asked to stop vaping. You don't even know who it is was, or if you really bothered them in any way other than the fact they don't want to even see this behavior they object to.

Now... is that the ultimate in control or not? Doe sit bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?

That happened to me several times the past 9 months or so, so it is a real thing with me, not theoretical.

It would make me FIGHTING mad... and I'd be looking around to see who had the smug self-righteous look on their face! So that on my way out, I could blow a HUGE cloud right at them!

Andria

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I can see how people can view vaping the same as smoking. We inhale from a tube and blow out a stream of something that looks like smoke. In their minds they think, "If it looks like a duck, it must be a duck". They've all been taught by the media that sidestream smoke is dangerous to their health.

Education is key to understanding. That's why I tend to educate people if they are interested in listening. If not, then I walk away.

Maybe we all need to carry a card with a link to respected vapor air quality testing reports.

Stratsworth

Jun 24, 2015
Education is key to understanding. That's why I tend to educate people if they are interested in listening. If not, then I walk away.

This. It's up to the individual vaper (and the vaping community) to educate the public. It's not the media's job, and it sure as hell isn't the government's job.

OP's post is old, but I can't help saying this: My enemies don't treat me half as bad as his friends treated him. If you're a vaper that allows this type of abuse from 'friends' or family then misinformation regarding vaping is the least of your concerns.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This. It's up to the individual vaper (and the vaping community) to educate the public. It's not the media's job, and it sure as hell isn't the government's job.

OP's post is old, but I can't help saying this: My enemies don't treat me half as bad as his friends treated him. If you're a vaper that allows this type of abuse from 'friends' or family then misinformation regarding vaping is the least of your concerns.

I've not had anyone express disgust with my vaping habit. Everyone I know and come in contact with considers vaping to be a good way to get off cigarettes. The ones who ask about the rumors they've heard get an education about temperatures and formaldehyde, and what's in the vapor. If I have the opportunity I do the paper towel exhale test and show that the vapor produces a clear wet spot on the towel. They all know that tobacco smoke leaves a yellow-brown stain.

I also mention that after 40 years of smoking and 5 years of vaping, I recently had a lung X-ray that was graded as normal. My lungs are clear in the X-ray and don't show any signs of smoking. That was a miracle in itself to me.

BTW, I'm at home eating a dish of ice cream. In the list of ingredients is Propylene Glycol.

Stratsworth

Jun 24, 2015
I've not had anyone express disgust with my vaping habit. Everyone I know and come in contact with considers vaping to be a good way to get off cigarettes. The ones who ask about the rumors they've heard get an education about temperatures and formaldehyde, and what's in the vapor. If I have the opportunity I do the paper towel exhale test and show that the vapor produces a clear wet spot on the towel. They all know that tobacco smoke leaves a yellow-brown stain.

Yeah, and I think we're in the majority. I'm know some vapers catch flak from strangers or associates, and I sympathize. I'm surprised I haven't been quizzed about that scorched atty formaldehyde study. That's why I agree wholeheartedly with your advice: Educate if they'll listen, but don't waste time with those who are more interested in FUD than weighing both sides to make an informed decision (taking liberties with your wording).

That paper towel thing is brilliant. That's a strong visual, and people respond very well to that.

Cool guitar in your avatar, btw! I'm a big LP fan.

Edit: I'm sure you know this, but in my little rant I was using the general form of 'you', not singling you out personally (I would never attack a person with a guitar in their avatar). I just get fired up when I hear about vapers taking abuse from family and friends. There's a larger issue at play if a person takes the sort of abuse that OP talked about.

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
I also mention that after 40 years of smoking and 5 years of vaping, I recently had a lung X-ray that was graded as normal. My lungs are clear in the X-ray and don't show any signs of smoking. That was a miracle in itself to me.

BTW, I'm at home eating a dish of ice cream. In the list of ingredients is Propylene Glycol.
LOL

Ditto, Dave! - after 31 years of smoking and, come October, four years of vaping, I also had a lung X-ray this year that showed normal lungs. This after a doctor told me, back in 2005, that if he didn't know anything about me except my lung x-rays, he would guess me to be in my late sixties and teetering on the brink of emphysema. I was 41..hospitalized AGAIN for pneumonia so severe, I was at 1/8th of normal lung capacity.

Vaping saved my life.

haveblue

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2014
Kansas
I still smoke a few"dizzysticks" these days,but mostly vape...It is true that smokers try to defend smokes..some would rather even switch to chew, rather than vape...because, "it is too much work to vape" BS! Find a system that works for you,and the smokes are forgotten. Smokers often find overpriced cheap junk at the gas station,hoping it will fill in for smokes..when they find they are wrong they judge ALL e-cigs as such...some "believe" the hype that e-cigs are bad, but they are jealous, because I smoke very little now, and they don't have the knowledge, or the willpower to find an alternative. Yes, I am a smoker..But I mostly vape now, and feel that it is a healthier alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread