Status
Not open for further replies.

maf2k8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
Hi Mark! Thanks for chiming in. Could you please tell us whether you'll be receiving hcigar VT200 for review and when?

I should have one Sept 1st.. Either i will receive it on the 1st or it will ship on the 1st. I am very excited to check one of these out. I have been talking with hcigar and i was told that EVOLV and Brandon has worked with them on this mod and that Brandon has approved of everything right down to the gauge of wire being used on the battery.. If this is true? I am not sure but thats what i was told.. So it seems hcigar has put a lot of time and thought into this mod.. We shall see.

DARKFiB3R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
SE London
about.me
I know this thread is about the VT200 but i see a lot of talk about the VTbox200 so i just wanted to chime in about my quick look video.

Vape Cige contacted me about a month or so ago talking about there new DNA200 mod and asked if i would be interested in reviewing it. I said sure! Well they finally contact me last week and said they shipped it and to please review it and give them the link once the review is finished, Ok not a problem..

I received the red/black one ( i have only seen the white/black one) i decided to do a "Quick Look" video on the device simply because i know a lot of people were interested in this device and there are many pre-orders going on for it, So i knew people wanted to see it.. I usually only do "quick looks" on popular products and then the review usually will follow 1-2 weeks later..

Anyways... After using it for 5 minutes i removed my RDA and the entire 510 connection came off, I applied no force or anything to it, It just popped off..It had very little glue around the 510 connection and the box itself.. I was rather shocked someone would glue a 510 connection down..

Well during the first look, The magnets on the door all just fell off, Then the button housing/ring (the ring that holds the button down inside the mod) started to unscrew.. I am not sure if the housing/ring (not sure what its called) is suppose to be glued into place or not, I assume it would need to be to prevent spinning off, Also to prevent the ring from getting loose and the button falling out. Another thing that worried me that i did not include in the video is that the lipo battery is a VERY VERY tight fit.. Also the DNA board is protected and covered by some type of clear vinyl tape that is used for electronics, Which i think could have been done better. Usually the chip is covered by a plastic or aluminum cover.

Anyways.. Once the video went live Vape Cige contacted me and said all i needed to do was to super glue the 510 connection.. I told them a glued-in 510 connection was a horrible design and why would they do such a thing. Anyways, after talking with them for about 20-30 mins they informed me that the White/Black version (the one that is on every website) does not have this issue and that the White/Black version has a press-fit 510 connection and the version being sent to vendors and being sold was the white/black version with the press-fit 510.

They asked if i could remove my video because they were getting contacted by various people in regards to these issues and that nobody had to worry because the version they would receive would in fact have a press-fit 510 (still a bad design if you ask me)

Ok well if they knew it had these issues then why did they send the red/black version? or why did they not contact me and tell me this? That makes no sense.. Its not a pre-production unit, That much i made sure of. It was a design flaw that only 200 units had.

I told them that i would not remove my video for any reason because i am simply showing the product that "I" received. They guaranteed me that the white/black version does not have these issues and that they were sending me the "corrected" device.

So i said once i recieve the corrected device and had PROOF the issues were taken care of that i would record another quick look and that i would verify and let everyone know that the problems have or have not been fixed and i would make notes on my previous video.

The statement that they released that everyone sees is dated back to April, Which once again, Makes no sense? They knew this problem was out there, So why did they send these units for review? Also, they say that if you receive a bad unit, They will replace it at no charge to you... Well i thought this issue was only with the first 200 units? So why would anyone get any bad units?

If they have simply said, We are sending a pre-production unit or the unit we sent has issues, just wait for the updated version, I would have done just that but they said review it..

With all that said, Something seems strange about the construction of the mod and Vape Cige's statements.. Once i receive the white/black version i will make another video updating everyone..

Also, I am not sure if it has been said yet here but the HCigar VT200 does have a 1300mah 30c 11.1v Lipo battery..

Mark
VapnFagan

I don't see the... button retention ring? as an issue, unless it keeps coming loose. Is that the case? Either way, I'm still glad you pointed it out, but you did seem to make too much of a deal about it.

I'm wondering if the spongyness of the fire button is due to it hitting the ribbon cable for the screen. Any chance you could take a closer look at that for us?

All Evolve products have a conformal coating, which is a protective chemical coating or polymer film 25-75µm thick (50µm typical) that 'conforms' to the circuit board topology. Its purpose is to protect electronic circuits from harsh environments that may contain moisture and or chemical contaminants.

The buttons are also waterproof, and kapton tape is awesome stuff, so that isn't an issue either.

But yeah, that was a real stupid move, them sending you a device in that state. Here's hoping that they keep to their word, and the final product is better made.

Sorry for keeping on about the VTBox in this thread, but this is where the convo is happening.

If a mod could move our posts to the correct thread, that would be cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wingsfan0310

Dobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Tbilisi, Georgia
Thanks for the reply. I'm considering buying this mod. Can I inquire what other DNA200 mods are you awaiting for reviewing?

I should have one Sept 1st.. Either i will receive it on the 1st or it will ship on the 1st. I am very excited to check one of these out. I have been talking with HCigar and i was told that EVOLV and Brandon has worked with them on this mod and that Brandon has approved of everything right down to the gauge of wire being used on the battery.. If this is true? I am not sure but thats what i was told.. So it seems HCigar has put a lot of time and thought into this mod.. We shall see.

maf2k8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
I don't see the... button retention ring? as an issue, unless it keeps coming loose. Is that the case? Either way, I'm still glad you pointed it out, but you did seem to make too much of a deal about it.

I'm wondering if the spongyness of the fire button is due to it hitting the ribbon cable for the screen. Any chance you could take a closer look at that for us?

All Evolve products have a conformal coating, which is a protective chemical coating or polymer film 25-75µm thick (50µm typical) that 'conforms' to the circuit board topology. Its purpose is to protect electronic circuits from harsh environments that may contain moisture and or chemical contaminants.

The buttons are also waterproof, and kapton tape is awesome stuff, so that isn't an issue either.

But yeah, that was a real stupid move, them sending you a device in that state. Here's hoping that they keep to their word, and the final product is better made.

Sorry for keeping on about the VTBox in this thread, but this is where the convo is happening.

If a mod could move our posts to the correct thread, that would be cool.

Well during the quick look the retention ring was loose which was causing the switch to be mushy, Which i didnt notice until later in the video.. So i complained about the switch and the ring simply because it loosened up. I have since tightened up the ring with some needle nose and the switch is much more firm and the ring hasnt loosened up yet. This is why i really dont do many quick look videos and like to spend a good amount of time with a mod before i review it (1-2 weeks) exactly for reasons like this, If i would have caught this before hand, Then i probably would not have complained about it. Now if the ring remains tight and doesnt loosen up over time.. Only time will tell.

I took 2 photos and i am not sure if you can tell by the photos but pushing the button down and looking at the cable, It slightly comes into contact with the ribbon cable when the button is pressed down.

i have to remember that with most DNA mods the button sits right on the board and the buttons are not as firm as other mods..

Attachments

• 2015-08-27 11.52.12.jpg
    2015-08-27 11.52.12.jpg
    981.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 2015-08-27 11.52.59.jpg
    2015-08-27 11.52.59.jpg
    888.4 KB · Views: 180

DARKFiB3R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
SE London
about.me
Well during the quick look the retention ring was loose which was causing the switch to be mushy, Which i didnt notice until later in the video.. So i complained about the switch and the ring simply because it loosened up. I have since tightened up the ring with some needle nose and the switch is much more firm and the ring hasnt loosened up yet. This is why i really dont do many quick look videos and like to spend a good amount of time with a mod before i review it (1-2 weeks) exactly for reasons like this, If i would have caught this before hand, Then i probably would not have complained about it. Now if the ring remains tight and doesnt loosen up over time.. Only time will tell.

I took 2 photos and i am not sure if you can tell by the photos but pushing the button down and looking at the cable, It slightly comes into contact with the ribbon cable when the button is pressed down.

i have to remember that with most DNA mods the button sits right on the board and the buttons are not as firm as other mods..

Thanks for the update and photos, much appreciated :)

I'm still glad you did the "quick look" vid. In fact I think it's needed, if only to give us .... to talk about :D

maf2k8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the reply. I'm considering buying this mod. Can I inquire what other DNA200 mods are you awaiting for reviewing?

Currently at the moment, The only other DNA200 mod i have up for review is the VT200 (along with the revised VTBOX) but i do have my eye on few other DNA200 mods ( one from Lost Vape and The 44 from Litt Up Customs) so i will have a few more in the future.

cimon

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2015
UK
He had a right to do it "that way" so..
Biggest BS for me is, that theres NOT a single video or closeup photo after ECC finished. I was more than sure that reviews gonna pop up like mashrooms after rain soon as ECC ends - they were not. Thats biggest (?) here. +/- 10.09.15 thats the day I will measure EVERY SINGLE SCREW in there and bold it wherever need.

Since then, first BOXERs should arrived so quite interesting time going on.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
He had a right to do it "that way" so...

Not exactly.

Spam videos (mass advertising) is not allowed on YouTube, one of the many reasons that you almost never see vendors doing reviews. YouTube (Google) charges enormous fees for advertising.

But unless someone (or many people) report videos like his as spam, it'll remain.

An indirect, 3rd party ad is allowed when accompanied by a review and is not considered as direct advertising.

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
I was in a prebuy for one of these but it got shut down. It was on FB and visible to the world. I suppose if he had kept it to pm's it would have floated but as a vendor he just complied . hcigar don't like less than retail sales. I sure do like less than retail buys though....

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
I was in a prebuy for one of these but it got shut down. It was on FB and visible to the world. I suppose if he had kept it to pm's it would have floated but as a vendor he just complied . hcigar don't like less than retail sales. I sure do like less than retail buys though....

Good thing the ECF has a firewall for their coop section. ;)

Reactions: bilboda

drewburton48

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
Hornsea,UK
Just had a message from cigreen.com 're my pre-order. The first units will be ready tomorrow but will be shipped after the Chinese holiday on 7th September.
Assuming the Chinese shipping info is correct, I should receive mine in the UK between 13th and 17th September.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

cimon

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2015
UK
Just had a message from cigreen.com 're my pre-order. The first units will be ready tomorrow but will be shipped after the Chinese holiday on 7th September.
Assuming the Chinese shipping info is correct, I should receive mine in the UK between 13th and 17th September.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Had same info.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California

This isn't necessarily the case. On my own DNA200 designs, the buttons are firm and clicky with very nice tactile response, so a mass produced mod should be able to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread