Need help choosing what to purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redleg26

Aug 31, 2015
new to the vaping world and need to purchase a bunch of stuff to get me rolling

First I need to decide on a charger. Have pretty much narrowed it down to either the nitecore i4 or the efest blu6. I like that the efest can charge 6 at once and let me choose at what rate to charge. Thoughts?

Also need to get an ohm meter. Any recommendations on which one? I don't want to go cheap, but don't want to spend $100 on one either. Looking for good quality...something accurate and durable.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I have the D4, but the I4 is new and offers more visual info on the battery status and such.

For an ohm reader, I used to have the little box ones and they never seemed to work well. I us a $15 Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) now. More accuracy and flexibility. I also use the the ohm readers on my mods. For safety, I always have two checks.

What else are you looking for?

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I'd be leary of buying some stuff on ebay.

However, I have a Nitcore charger now. My next one with be the XTAR VP4.
I use a cheap ohm meter, but the Tab 521 from coil master has everything you need. Ohm meter, can fire your coils, can check voltage drop of mech mods. I'm sure a few other things I'm missing.

What mod are you going to be using? A lot of us use the Samsung 25r or the Sony VTC4.
Kanthal can either be Lightningvapes which I use or Temco.

Reactions: Romano Cheese

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I just realized that I have the i4. Both, the i4 and the Blu6 have 4a total charge at one time. I did notice a price difference.

These three links are available via Baditude, and I thank him. Battery safety is very important.
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
(12) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part I | E-Cigarette Forum
(11) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part II | E-Cigarette Forum

My battery source: Authentic AW Batteries - RTD Vapor

Going to the appropriate sub-forum and using the search bar will provide extensive info.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: dcfluegel

Redleg26

Aug 31, 2015
Ok...made my purchases. Went with the Efest Blu6 charger...works like a champ thus far. Not sure how much I will use the app...but it does its main job well. Also bought the coil master tab 521 ohm meter (looking forward to playing with that). Also bought 6 more efest 18650s, 200 ft of Kanthal, dark horse rda (clone), and tools to aid in building coils. Think I set myself up pretty well being that I'm a noob.

Reactions: dcfluegel

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Ok...made my purchases. Went with the Efest Blu6 charger...works like a champ thus far. Not sure how much I will use the app...but it does its main job well. Also bought the coil master tab 521 ohm meter (looking forward to playing with that). Also bought 6 more efest 18650s, 200 ft of Kanthal, dark horse rda (clone), and tools to aid in building coils. Think I set myself up pretty well being that I'm a noob.
sounds like a good deal overall, though be careful with those batteries and don't push them too hard - i use samsung 25r's in my sig 100, as the efests don' t have the best rep (tend to be rewraps and generally labeling on them overstates their amp rating compared to actual tests)...

really interested to hear what you think of the CM tab 521

Reactions: Baditude

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
I have the D4, but the I4 is new and offers more visual info on the battery status and such.

For an ohm reader, I used to have the little box ones and they never seemed to work well. I us a $15 Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) now. More accuracy and flexibility. I also use the the ohm readers on my mods. For safety, I always have two checks.

What else are you looking for?
actually, I believe the D4 was an upgrade of the I4, according to the research I did before purchase...

cody gabriele

Aug 31, 2015
Should keep you busy for a while for sure.

BigGOOSE

Verified Member
Jul 6, 2015
sounds like a good deal overall, though be careful with those batteries and don't push them too hard - i use samsung 25r's in my sig 100, as the efests don' t have the best rep (tend to be rewraps and generally labeling on them overstates their amp rating compared to actual tests)...

really interested to hear what you think of the CM tab 521
Technically isn't every 18650 a "rewrap" ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Technically isn't every 18650 a "rewrap" ?
Lg, Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung, and Sony actually manufacture their own cells and sell them under their brand name. Second and third tier cells from these manufacturers are sold to other companies who rewrap those cells under their own brand name. AW allegedly has an arrangement with the original manufacturers to purchase first tier cells, which they rewap as the AW brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooch

Redleg26

Aug 31, 2015
I've seen the threads on the efest rewraps. The ones I purchased were legit non-rewrapped. The only thing I don't like is how they label them 35A when they are actually 20A. You would think everyone would go with one standard on something so important. Maybe I should start manufacturing American made batteries....that way we wouldn't have to rely on manufacturers playing shady games halfway around the world.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I've seen the threads on the efest rewraps. The ones I purchased were legit non-rewrapped. The only thing I don't like is how they label them 35A when they are actually 20A. You would think everyone would go with one standard on something so important. Maybe I should start manufacturing American made batteries....that way we wouldn't have to rely on manufacturers playing shady games halfway around the world.

All Efests are rewraps. They don't make the batteries they sell. They buy them from a battery manufacturing company, remove that company's wraps, and put on their own.

Good point about the 35A/20A!

Reactions: Baditude
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread