Need help new Gauge wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

makuto

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2014
Santo Domingo, DR
Ok so since I started vaping 9 months ago I got myself some 24 gauge Kanthal and it has been working just fine. I watched a video I think from Rip Trippers that he said that the 28 gauge is for flavor. So I went ahead and bought some 28 Gauge since Im flavor chasing right now and want to stop consuming so much battery life. But the thing is that now with a simple build of 5 wraps on a 2.5 mm bit and I am getting exactly the same ohms and I am vaping at 35 watts and flavor is just not there.. I am using an twisted messes rda while I wait for my tobeco velocity rda and the TM rda is open like 1 1/2 holes.

And is just not satisfying.. Am I doing something wrong or do you have a build for chasing flavor with this wire?

Thank you for your replies!

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
There's not really a specific gauge for flavor, flavor is subjective dependent on the atty and the coil build. Try twisting (if you have a drill to use) 2 or 3 strands of the 28g and coiling that up. 28g is much thinner than 24g & the resistance of the wire is 5.27 Ω/ft up from 2.04Ω/ft 24g. But with 28g you can try twisting it in a drill chuck or if you don't have access to a drill, try doing a 3 loop vertebraid, there's a tutorial on YouTube on how to do a braid. They're quite simple and pretty great.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

JohnnyKay

Jun 19, 2015
I'm gonna recommend a parallel build with your 28g, in that RDA, simply because of the amount of airflow it has. I can explain why, if you'd like; just let me know.

So, try 11 wraps of parallel 28g kanthal with a 2.5mm inner diameter (for a dual coil). That'll get you to .5 ohms, which is a pretty solid place to be for a flavor build.

A parallel build is (in my opinion) all about flavor. It's ups your surface area, which is bomb for flavor. Personally, I like to use a single piece of wire folded in half for each coil. It keeps the coil together far better than if I had used two separate wires.

Hope I helped,
-Johnny

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I'm gonna recommend a parallel build with your 28g, in that RDA, simply because of the amount of airflow it has. I can explain why, if you'd like; just let me know.

So, try 11 wraps of parallel 28g kanthal with a 2.5mm inner diameter (for a dual coil). That'll get you to .5 ohms, which is a pretty solid place to be for a flavor build.

A parallel build is (in my opinion) all about flavor. It's ups your surface area, which is bomb for flavor. Personally, I like to use a single piece of wire folded in half for each coil. It keeps the coil together far better than if I had used two separate wires.

Hope I helped,
-Johnny

I was going to post basically the same thing. I love my twisted messes, but it is rather airy. I normally wrap dual parallel 28G 8 wraps on a 1/8 drill bit. I keep trying all these cool twisted stapled helix'd claptons but I keep coming back to my 8 wrap dual parallel.

Reactions: JohnnyKay

JohnnyKay

Jun 19, 2015
I was going to post basically the same thing. I love my twisted messes, but it is rather airy. I normally wrap dual parallel 28G 8 wraps on a 1/8 drill bit. I keep trying all these cool twisted stapled helix'd claptons but I keep coming back to my 8 wrap dual parallel.
If you have an RDA that can rock a single coil - and you enjoy the cereal flavors (The Milk by Breakfast at Teleos) - perhaps try a parallel 30g, 7wraps on a 2.5mm bit. It's a treat at 25W.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
If you have an RDA that can rock a single coil - and you enjoy the cereal flavors (The Milk by Breakfast at Teleos) - perhaps try a parallel 30g, 7wraps on a 2.5mm bit. It's a treat at 25W.

My ADV is a Unicorn Milk clone that I diy. with dual parallel 26G wrapped 8 times on a 1/8th rod in my Twisted Messes RDA vaping at 75W.... I can hit that for hours. I know its a limitation in how I build, but when ever I build a higher ohm coil or smaller gauge than 28 and have to run my wattage lower I just feel like somethings missing... I hve my Subtank Mini built right now with a .08ohm 28G NI200 TC coil and vape it at 20J 400f. While a nice decent vape especially at work in my office, it just seems to be lacking a bit compared to my at home dripper I listed above. When I first started Vaping I kinda skipped over the entire Evo stage... Started with a Nautilus and then 3 days later bought a dripper and have been hitting them since I stopped Smoking Cigars and pipes last thanksgiving. Never been satisfied on low power. Im sure some one who knew what they were doing with building it could set a genny or something up that would be good for me, but I vape what I know how to build.

JohnnyKay

Jun 19, 2015
My ADV is a Unicorn Milk clone that I diy. with dual parallel 26G wrapped 8 times on a 1/8th rod in my Twisted Messes RDA vaping at 75W.... I can hit that for hours. I know its a limitation in how I build, but when ever I build a higher ohm coil or smaller gauge than 28 and have to run my wattage lower I just feel like somethings missing... I hve my Subtank Mini built right now with a .08ohm 28G NI200 TC coil and vape it at 20J 400f. While a nice decent vape especially at work in my office, it just seems to be lacking a bit compared to my at home dripper I listed above. When I first started Vaping I kinda skipped over the entire Evo stage... Started with a Nautilus and then 3 days later bought a dripper and have been hitting them since I stopped Smoking Cigars and pipes last thanksgiving. Never been satisfied on low power. Im sure some one who knew what they were doing with building it could set a genny or something up that would be good for me, but I vape what I know how to build.
To each their own. It's far from a typical low wattage vape, though. Regardless, vape what you love and love what you vape.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ok so since I started vaping 9 months ago I got myself some 24 gauge Kanthal and it has been working just fine. I watched a video I think from Rip Trippers that he said that the 28 gauge is for flavor. So I went ahead and bought some 28 Gauge since Im flavor chasing right now and want to stop consuming so much battery life. But the thing is that now with a simple build of 5 wraps on a 2.5 mm bit and I am getting exactly the same ohms and I am vaping at 35 watts and flavor is just not there.. I am using an twisted messes rda while I wait for my tobeco velocity rda and the TM rda is open like 1 1/2 holes.

And is just not satisfying.. Am I doing something wrong or do you have a build for chasing flavor with this wire?

Thank you for your replies!

So what exactly is the ohms? 0.8 ohms? at 35 watts that would be too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread