Last place you were asked to stop vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I haven't been asked to stop vaping yet - but there are places I just choose not to vape in. If I need to vape, I choose to do it outside as I don't want people to look at me like an ....... for "smoking" in a place where "smoking" is prohibited. If it's a bar that still allows smoking to be done indoors, and yes there are some around, I will take a few toots indoors being conscious of those around me that don't smoke. And most of the time when I do, I get asked a lot of questions as to whether it works which gets me a few people asking where they can "pick up something like that".

And yes... I know it's not "smoking", but what a vast majority of people don't know is what it is I'm doing. All they may see is a stream of vapor floating away from me. And therefore they assume I'm "smoking".

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I was out of town and in the smoking area outside of a Peoria IL sports bar and grill where one of the smokers had the audacity to ask me to stop vaping because, "the second hand vapor is 50 times worse than his cigarette" After a moment of trying to explain the truth I realized it wasn't going anywhere, shook my head and walked away.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I was out of town and in the smoking area outside of a Peoria IL sports bar and grill where one of the smokers had the audacity to ask me to stop vaping because, "the second hand vapor is 50 times worse than his cigarette" After a moment of trying to explain the truth I realized it wasn't going anywhere, shook my head and walked away.
Wow.

If I were there in your place...
Things would have probably gotten ugly...

But I most definitely NEVER would have walked away.

People are so different.
Makes for a strange world to live in.
:laugh:

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Wow.

People are so different.

While I certainly did not want to walk away I realized the person in question was obviously intoxicated and closed minded. I can't reason a person out of a position they didn't use reason to come to in the first place. He was confrontational and I did not want things to get out of hand.

Reactions: DC2

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
While I certainly did not want to walk away I realized the person in question was obviously intoxicated and closed minded. I can't reason a person out of a position they didn't use reason to come to in the first place
But you shouldn't have to be the one to walk away.

Reactions: SpaceApe

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
But you shouldn't have to be the one to walk away.

Should have not had to yes, but I felt that no good would have come out of me being persistent. I elected not to argue with an irrational idiot, as I was once told, "don't argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".

Last edited:

Inni

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Pasadena, California, US
I've never been asked to move/leave while vaping - but I have gotten some very intense looks!

I really don't understand, other than the bull media - why anyone would think vapor is more dangerous than tobacco smoke?!

On the positive side - I've had more people glad I switched, and tell me the vapor smells nice, and my house smells a LOT better!!!

Now if I could just get rid of the occasional urge to smoke an analog. My son was in a car accident this weekend, and the first thing I thought of was to buy a pack of cigs... I didn't, but I want to. :(

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
Never in my vaping life. Of course I use common curtesy even on public sidewalks. I will hold a cloud until people have passed me rather than make them walk through it. I stand down wind unless the other parties are smoking real cigs. Stealth vape if I just need it indoors. Most people are just glad I don't smell like an ashtray.

Reactions: Rossum

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
I never have been asked to stop but to be fair I usually don't, or stealthy vape where is is frowned upon.

But yesterday I had to take my brother to a hospital in Fort Worth, TX where the "campus" in no smoking anywhere on campus. While he was under anesthesia getting the procedure performed, I slipped outside to vape. Once outside I realized the whole place was no smoking - so I did what any red-blooded American vapor would do, I vaped in front of the no smoking sign. A campus cop was walking back to his car just down the drive a bit, stopped and looked at me, then continued on when he realized what was going on. I consider it a win.

I have not been vaping that long. I have often wondered about this situation however. My precise plans are not to vape anywhere. The people that know me quite well will notice that I don't have a death stick hanging out of my mouth. This is the part that I am looking forward to the most. Because I live in the State of Montana, I have hundreds of square miles that I can vape in without a person in sight. Good enough for me :D

Nolongerpuffin

Aug 1, 2015
Absolutely. not. I apply common sense to these regulations.

Now, I brace myself for the inevitable, "You are gonna make so many people mad it will ruin it for everyone and it will be banned because of you being an inconsiderate jerk" comments....
Not at all. I was a very courteous smoker. Only smoked in areas where it was allowed. Always asked permission before lighting up around other people in the days when it was allowed in restaurants and bars, etc., so I've just carried that over to vaping. As a result, I've had no problems with vaping in public.

I did however get pulled over by a cop up in the Northwoods who saw me taking a hit off my vape pen at a traffic light. He wanted to know what i was smoking (SNIFF> SNIFF>) and was a bit confused when all he smelled was cinnamon). Once i explained the whole PV and vaping thing to him, he got interested in the concept and we had a nice conversation. I ran into him a couple of weeks later at a gas station and he had to show me his set-up...a PROVARI. I guess they pay Rhinelander cops better than I'd thought.

fg2015

Aug 20, 2015
People smoke all over the place here. And the amount of vapers have increased too, tons of smokers have converted over and I consider it a success every time I get a smoker to start vaping and dropping his cigarettes. I've had people come over to me (smokers mostly) when they see me vape and ask me about vaping. I spend a while telling them about it and majority of the time,they take the plunge. Of course there are the stubborn ones who are confident they won't enjoy vaping so there's not much you can do there.

I vape whenever really, the outdoors, in the car, at home, at our restaurants (where smoking is allowed) but I make sure I don't smoke in places like the mall, or in the cinema, hospitals, etc. It's all about being respectful and having common sense. The vapor might not be as dangerous as second hand smoke, but it does have smell and the amount of vapor might be an issue too for some people. So just be smart and don't annoy people with it.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I recently had a gas station attendant about to go off on me

A friend and I filled our bikes. He went in to pay, and I was vaping while I waited. Attendant was gonna come out and yell at me for smoking at the pump...

He should have IMO.

For one, depending on someones perspective, they might not see the e-cig or mod in your hand and think that somethings on fire. It would be even worse if that someone was a cop....or if someone was already in their vehicle and decided to get the hell out of there......fast.....and they hit someone in the process.

And two, our mods can cause a spark. They work on electricity after all and something as innocent as static electricity caused by touching a plastic bed liner, has killed people at the pumps.

If you want to take that chance alone, fine but do not place my safety, or anyone elses, in danger in the process.

Last edited:

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
Wow.

People are so different.

What makes this world so strange IMO is the large number of people who want to go to battle about Everything they have an opinion on.

There is truth to the saying, Choose your battles.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Strings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Manitowoc WI USA
Zapped, you MIGHT want to learn a lil bit about how combustion of gasoline works, before you lecture others

I have personally put lit cigarettes out in gasoline. Combustion requires a certain combination of circumstances. A PV of any kind, in the open air, is about as unlikely to cause a fire as the pistol on my hip at the time

As for someone freaking out and causing an accident: seriously? Someone that unhinged would be just as likely to freak over the 2 bikers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread