Does everyone really have an allergy to PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
It seems these days, everyone and their mother (who is now vaping by the way) has an allergy to PG. Its either a sore throat, headaches, this or that....

Is it just mass paranoia, like how everything thinks they are gluten intolerant now?

I KNOW some people are allergic to PG, but I just don't believe its 9 out of 10 vapers.

What do you guys think?

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I think that the desire for bigger vapor led many to move to more VG, while only a small number have a real allergy. Much like the gluten issue, where those who have celiac disease are a much smaller number. It's too bad in both cases it's a trendy thing, as it makes some scoff at those with legitimate issues.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Truth be told:

Most new Vapers have no clue about the things they are using.
Dry Hits
Low Power
High power
Cheap Clearo's with poorly aligned coils
Caked coils
Etc.

All lead to crappy rough vapes.

By the time they get everything under control and start understanding how to take care of their gear, someone has convinced then it was the PG, not their lack of knowledge, causing all their problems.

A tickle, a scratchy feeling, a cough a Mouth sore or any other symptom in and of itself may or may NOT be an indication of an Allergy.

Special testing is required to determine if an Allergy actually exist in most instances.

Self diagnosis is always 100% correct:facepalm:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think for many noobies the side effects of harsh vapor or throat hit may be due to Pg. Or too high a nic concentration or trying to vape with too much voltage/wattage..
I'd describe a hypersensitivity or allergy as burning or itching irritation, swelling or reddness, blisters, or difficulty in breathing.

Last edited:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
i think it just appears that PG is such a issue as most
people wind up here when in search of an answer to a problem
on the interwebs. theoreticly 3% or less of the population
will have a sensitivity to PG.
of course there is a little of that misusing gear and
excuse to use more VG thing thrown in too.
regards
mike

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I don't have a severe allergy to it, but I am definitely "sensitive" to PG. I get small sores on the back of my throat and my lungs get dry and itchy. The "heavy lung" thing some folks get from VG is't really an allergy. It's just that the VG coats your lungs and makes it hard to take a deep breath.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I don't have a severe allergy to it, but I am definitely "sensitive" to PG. I get small sores on the back of my throat and my lungs get dry and itchy. The "heavy lung" thing some folks get from VG is't really an allergy. It's just that the VG coats your lungs and makes it hard to take a deep breath.
Yes! It is why I see high consumption of juice (like 30 ml/day) as a way to get lungs rather thick coating of VG/PG/flavorings.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
It seems these days, everyone and their mother (who is now vaping by the way) has an allergy to PG. Its either a sore throat, headaches, this or that....

Is it just mass paranoia, like how everything thinks they are gluten intolerant now?

I KNOW some people are allergic to PG, but I just don't believe its 9 out of 10 vapers.

What do you guys think?
I do not have an allergy to PG but prefer a balanced 50/50 blend.high VG causes heaviness in the chest which I find unpleasant.but I guess cloud chasers have gotten use to that. maybe this is just another straw argument used to promote sub-ohming.

OfTheBrave

Jul 13, 2015
I think that too many people assume that because this youtube vaper or that guy down at the vapor shop vape a certain brand, said brand has been vetted and tested properly.

Think critically here for a moment. The max vg sub ohm crowd has been pushing the limits of vaping since the start. They push it with heat, battery spec and now they are pushing it with making juice.
Now, everyone and their mom has a juice company.
You know this and I know this.

These guys tend to start by making it for themselves and their buddies so they can vape 50ml a day on the cheap and so they buy cheap ingredients.

Good, levorotatory (not misspelled, look it up) nicotine is not cheap.
Good laboratory grade PG and VG are not (as) cheap.
Good flavoring cannot be purchased in the food aisle.
And IMHO, I really don't think that vaping juices with sweeteners all the time is a good idea. Sure, top off with some cosmic fog once in a while, but to vape it all the time seems crazy.

Send your juice to a lab or buy juice from a juice company that pays to have their juice tested.

Reactions: EleanorR

Troy Noh

Apr 12, 2015
california
I don't have a problem to PG, when I make my DIY juice. I blend a 50/50 mixture, sometimes 60/40 depending on the recipe. I mostly use RTA, and a heavy VG based juice is not good for a RTA.
I think most people who say they having a allergy to PG are full of it, PG carries the flavor, but also give the throat hit, most vapers aren't drinking enough water, heck people in general don't drink enough water to keep themselves hydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread