Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I was already somewhat perturbed by my long term ISP. Usually I have good service, and excellent help, on the rare occasion that I need help that is. The older modem supposedly most likely reset itself after an "update". I told the tech I've never had that happen before, ever. I didn't know they sent updates to the modem. I personally think it is more nosey stuff, and maybe my older unit wasn't as friendly as they make them now. My power, dsl, and ethernet lights were green. There is one thing that makes me think it even more, but I will keep that to myself. I am tired of these big companies insisting on getting in your business. I already closed the account for Bill Me Later, than Pay Pal. Now Ebay I have tried to close too. I really hated to close the Ebay one, even more than PP. But I can't agree to their new terms. I don't want my data shared. I don't want my personal info floating around for some low life to use, or sell. I don't want to be called or texted with "offers". I have always been a private person, and this just rubs me the wrong way.
I would have just told this ISP to forget it, and get a new one, but the competition here really stinks. The cellular ISP would have worked, but they wanted to tie it to my phone, and put me on a data plan. HA. I want unlimited data, and I don't have a smart phone. I have a basic cell phone, that I rarely talk on. I only have it for emergencies mainly. The internet is vital to me, and I prefer a desk top computer. I don't have cable, or satellite, or anything like that.
I am looking forward to the HHV sale. It won't be a big buy for me, thanks to my modem purchase. But I will order enough for a little while.
RJ, I am very happy for you and Calve. Being in love is such a cool thing. I am not holding my breath on falling in love again, or marriage. If it happens, that would be awesome. It would take a special guy to deal with me....rotflmbo. I am lucky to have my dog, and I love her, and she loves me. Not the same thing of course. She loves me unconditionally. I can't ask for more than that. When I was younger, every time I felt like I needed a new baby, I got a puppy instead...lol. My clock isn't ticking, and I am just fine on my own. I've got two great grown up kids. So far no grandchildren....at least not that I am aware of!

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I'm so glad that worked! You might know this - it's good to power down completely every couple of days and leave the phone off for a bit. That clears out any running processes and helps keep it from acting up. It can also reset and improve your cell signal.

It's a pain to not be able to replace the batteries. Darn planned obsolescence and short consumer attention spans. I have a 2011 MacBook Air and the battery lasts maybe 15 min. I can send it into Apple for battery replacement for around $200. I probably will since I love that little thing. Then again, the next OS might not run on it. You never know. :facepalm:
That's a good idea, Lori, I'll make a note of it. I should know this from my time working in techno... Getting old I guess.

My 2006 MacBook is not supported any more and my iMac will be right behind it. It's a shame because they still work flawlessly. The MacBook is two OS behind because it won't accept the new OS, but the iMac is probably on it's last OS upgrade, Yosemite OS X 10.10.5

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Geez, all these people love your house while that butthead screwed around. Oh well. He's history and it looks like you'll unload it now on people who are ready, willing, and able to purchase. Let us know when they sign the dotted line. We'll keep our fingers crossed until then.

They've agreed to our counter offer! So now we have a much better sell price and so far nicer folks to deal with. The former guy was difficult from day one - but I was desperate. And I always hope for the best. The deal with him wasn't the best but now this one is so far. Hope for the best and receive it! The Agreement will be signed tonight or tomorrow. More inspections, another appraisal - and still hoping and praying for the best. :)

That's a good idea, Lori, I'll make a note of it. I should know this from my time working in techno... Getting old I guess.

My 2006 MacBook is not supported any more and my iMac will be right behind it. It's a shame because they still work flawlessly. The MacBook is two OS behind because it won't accept the new OS, but the iMac is probably on it's last OS upgrade, Yosemite OS X 10.10.5

I get to wondering if we need those new OS updates anyway. Lots of times they cause more problems. We will just keep using our gear and enjoying it. :toast:

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
They've agreed to our counter offer! So now we have a much better sell price and so far nicer folks to deal with. The former guy was difficult from day one - but I was desperate. And I a,ways hope for the best. The deal with him wasn't the best but now this one is so far. Hope for the best and receive it! The Agreement will be signed tonight or tomorrow. More inspections, another appraisal - and still hoping and praying for the best. :)

:w00t:!!!!! Praying that everything goes right this time!!!!!!

I get to wondering if we need those new OS updates anyway. Lots of times they cause more problems. We will just keep using our gear and enjoying it.

I keep putting off updating my iPad. It seems every time they put one out, there are a lot of people that complain about this or that not working correctly. The last one people were saying that they didn't have enough space for the update!?! What????

I figure I'll update when I absolutely have to. :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
:w00t:!!!!! Praying that everything goes right this time!!!!!!

I keep putting off updating my iPad. It seems every time they put one out, there are a lot of people that complain about this or that not working correctly. The last one people were saying that they didn't have enough space for the update!?! What????

I figure I'll update when I absolutely have to. :)

Same here. There always seem to be articles about people's phones being bricked. And I'm way too geeky to do an "over the air" update. So much can go wrong via a wireless connection. Now Microsoft is pushing Windows 10. My computer is still Win 7. I'd still be on XP if I could. Charging a monthly subscription for an OS is a tough pill to swallow. I pay monthly for Adobe tools because I need them for my business. But I don't like it one bit.

Thank you for praying! It means a lot and I KNOW it helps.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I am still on XP :) if it was possible Id be on 3.1, the only reason I upgrade is because the last version of Diablo required it :)
they make bigger HD's faster RAM, Faster CPUs and then turn around and glut the system with 100's of background programs and slow it all back down again... Id bet my 486/33 boots faster than what I have now...

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I've heard Windows 10 is pretty good. There are some things regarding privacy that Are issues but those can be turned off. It takes time to get through all the privacy stuff. They've kind of buried it but can be found.

If you decide to install windows 10, be sure to google how to install without Microsoft being able to get data. I do know that you don't want to install the 'recommended' way, you want to custom install.

Sorry I'm so vague. I don't have a technical mind. I just remember bits and pieces of stuff. :oops:

Good Morning :)

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
I've heard Windows 10 is pretty good. There are some things regarding privacy that Are issues but those can be turned off. It takes time to get through all the privacy stuff. They've kind of buried it but can be found.

If you decide to install windows 10, be sure to google how to install without Microsoft being able to get data. I do know that you don't want to install the 'recommended' way, you want to custom install.

Sorry I'm so vague. I don't have a technical mind. I just remember bits and pieces of stuff. :oops:

Good Morning :)
I allowed our laptop to do the install last week. It was free if we did it now and would cost money later so I guess we are part of the trial run? So far haven't had too many issues with it except the new edge browser wouldn't work with certain sites. The whole "this site or plug in is not supported on this browser"

But I usually use chrome anyway so that hasn't bothered me

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
geez, good thing it didn't put a hole in the side of your house where it was unlivable.
True. I will be grumping at them all if its not getting anywhere soon though. This old house leaks bad enough in the winter, it will be worse with half the newer siding missing.

Turns out part of the draftiness is they never wrapped the house before putting the new siding on :facepalm: so the air goes right through the vinyl siding to old wood siding full of holes. I swear the people that renovated this place had too many screws loose to even be touching a hammer

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Turns out part of the draftiness is they never wrapped the house before putting the new siding on :facepalm: so the air goes right through the vinyl siding to old wood siding full of holes. I swear the people that renovated this place had too many screws loose to even be touching a hammer
:facepalm: Ya wonder sometimes what people are thinking. Probably trying to cut costs renovating for a sell. Sheesh. Good thing LA is not like that :wub: :D

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Always, that kind of poor renovation stuff makes me crazy. I hope they will be wrapping the house in the repairs. You are facing disruption though. Hopefully it will go quickly along with being done well.

Robin, my poor realtor had to stop me from disclosing every little quirk and issue with the house on the seller's disclosure! Apparently, I don't know how to sell a house. ;) I just thought the new owner should know everything to keep an eye on, and all the stuff that I knew will eventually need to be replaced. None of it was huge or scary. I'm too honest for sales. I think I'll make myself a t-shirt of that.

I've heard Win 10 is pretty good. Until a year from now, people can upgrade and it will be free for a lifetime. Privacy is a concern too, along with the constant updates that are installed automatically. The kind of updates that break things. And like BK said, they keep bloating your computer with stuff that makes it slooooowwwww.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread