Battery Pairing: how strict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokin909

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2014
Milan to Minsk
Hi all,
I have two new Samsung 25r batteries I bought about a month ago.
I was going to use the pair on rotation for my IPV D2, so thinking I'd never need to pair them, I used them twice down to 3.7v, separately, on a mech mod and recharged them twice. In the meantime I have decided to get a dual 18650 regulated mod (sigelei 150w) and the IPV D2 is nowhere in sight (yet) so the question is:

Can I still marry the two to the sigelei, having used them and charged them twice, or is it a no go?

smokin909

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2014
Milan to Minsk
Thank you Baditude for that - I was hoping that might be the case but I just wanted to be sure.
I'm not sure when the D2 will ready for shipping (FT preorder), but the Sigelei is ready to go, so I figured I could use the 25rs until I actually received the D2 (who knows when!) then I'll get a couple of VCT5s and marry them right away to the Sigelei and swap the Samsungs over to the D2.
Or I might love my Sig so much I'll cancel the D2 all together and keep using my mech 18350s and Tesla 2 sub box as my stealthy runarounds.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi all,
    I have two new Samsung 25r batteries I bought about a month ago.
    I was going to use the pair on rotation for my IPV D2, so thinking I'd never need to pair them, I used them twice down to 3.7v, separately, on a mech mod and recharged them twice. In the meantime I have decided to get a dual 18650 regulated mod (Sigelei 150w) and the IPV D2 is nowhere in sight (yet) so the question is:

Can I still marry the two to the Sigelei, having used them and charged them twice, or is it a no go?

I agree with @Baditude...no problem pairing them up.

smokin909

ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2014
    Milan to Minsk
    There is strong evidence that the vtc5 is only a 20 amp cdr. The vtc4 is a true 30 amp cdr battery.

Yes I had read this - why is it that everyone is listing them as 30A CDR? Reputable vendors and even the guy I get my batteries from state it. The vendor I buy from when I'm here buys his AW IMRs direct from Mr AW, he does mAh batch tests his VCT4 and 5s to ensure that they are indeed 4s or 5s and buys direct from the source, not using reclaimed laptop batteries and he states them as 30A CDR as well. I'll message him and find out more - otherwise I'll stick with the VCT4s so that I'm on the safe side.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Yes I had read this - why is it that everyone is listing them as 30A CDR? Reputable vendors and even the guy I get my batteries from state it. The vendor I buy from when I'm here buys his AW IMRs direct from Mr AW, he does mAh batch tests his VCT4 and 5s to ensure that they are indeed 4s or 5s and buys direct from the source, not using reclaimed laptop batteries and he states them as 30A CDR as well. I'll message him and find out more - otherwise I'll stick with the VCT4s so that I'mon the safe side.
    Mooch has been doing independant bench testing, look for the link to his blogs in his signiture.

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Yes I had read this - why is it that everyone is listing them as 30A CDR? Reputable vendors and even the guy I get my batteries from state it. The vendor I buy from when I'm here buys his AW IMRs direct from Mr AW, he does mAh batch tests his VCT4 and 5s to ensure that they are indeed 4s or 5s and buys direct from the source, not using reclaimed laptop batteries and he states them as 30A CDR as well. I'll message him and find out more - otherwise I'll stick with the VCT4s so that I'm on the safe side.

Most vendors don't have the time to test their batteries. If most people say the VTC5 is 30A then that's what they'll sell it as. The tech info document for that battery though only shows discharge graphs up to 20A, at temperatures high enough to indicate that's as far as the battery should be taken.

How did it get rated at 30A? Perhaps early testers/reviewers didn't measure temperature (very few do) and just saw they could discharge it at 30A and rated it at that? They would have to ignore the huge voltage drop too, but I've seen that happen before. Or, they only did pulse testing and that rating became popular and spread?

smokin909

ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2014
    Milan to Minsk
    Thats interesting how results taken out of context spread and become a specific fact. Thankfully we have people such as yourself who are willing to put these claims to the test - then it's up to each of us to make a choice with all the available information.

In the meantime, I'll just stick to building within the 20A limit of the battery - fancy that!

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread