The Washington Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
This article is just more fear mongering about hypothetical, potential and unknown long term risks of flavorings.

Toxicology studies are easily misinterpreted by nonscientific news reporters, especially when e-cig prohibitionists misrepresent their findings to them.

Mossy

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2013
Sydney Australia
What's the problem with Java Scripts?

Javascript can be quite dangerous because it allows control of all settings inside the browser. A simple example is seen on many web sites that disable your back button as soon as you arrive at the site -- trapping you on their site. You have to actually close your browser to get out. Very annoying. But more dangerous is the fact that they can change ANY setting in your browser -- not just the back button. So javascript apps can actually turn off your security settings in your browser, and then let all types of malicious software in from that (or other) web sites. I recommend keeping javascript off for safety, except for sites that you trust and really require it to run. Ditto for activeX and most of all, Flash

The best way to find out yourself is to run an extension in firefox called NoScripts.............you can turn it off and on so it is not a problem in itself. You will be amazed at who is trying to access your computer.:shock:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I don't think it was presented well, but I think it's important for vapers to have some of that info on flavors, without trying to scare people. There was only a weak attempt at putting it in perspective.

It would lack any credibility if it said vaping is completely safe, there are no possible unknown risks with flavors or that long term studies aren't needed...

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
It would lack any credibility if it said vaping is completely safe, there are no possible unknown risks with flavors or that long term studies aren't needed...
It is extremely important that they put it in context. They did a very poor job of that. Thereby, the article does more harm than good, and misinforms more than it informs.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Javascript can be quite dangerous because it allows control of all settings inside the browser. A simple example is seen on many web sites that disable your back button as soon as you arrive at the site -- trapping you on their site. You have to actually close your browser to get out. Very annoying. But more dangerous is the fact that they can change ANY setting in your browser -- not just the back button. So javascript apps can actually turn off your security settings in your browser, and then let all types of malicious software in from that (or other) web sites. I recommend keeping javascript off for safety, except for sites that you trust and really require it to run. Ditto for activeX and most of all, Flash

The best way to find out yourself is to run an extension in firefox called NoScripts.............you can turn it off and on so it is not a problem in itself. You will be amazed at who is trying to access your computer.:shock:
I've encountered those sleazy websites that run browser-grabbing ads. Certain people of my acquaintance seem to love posting links to them, and those people seem to get viruses on a regular basis. I try to just avoid those websites, and if I hit one anyway, I just deal with it by exiting. I think disabling java would cause more aggravation than it avoids. Anyway, I visit Wapo every day and have had no problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread