Tobacco Absolute - A Flavor All By Itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Or maybe I made a mistake in mine? ;) I'll also need to check my notes. At 0.5% I taste it fine. 1% is already darn close to too much. 2%, have not tried but I know it would blow my socks off lol.

Actually when you think of it, a 10% solution of the 10% Rustica dilution comes down to 1% of raw Rustica in your final vape. It doesn't sound too high on the face of it.... By the same token, a 2% solution of the 10% amounts to just 0.2% of raw Rustica in your final mix. I am seriously puzzled why some consider 0.2% as being too high. That is why I am thinking there might be an error in calculations - mine or theirs :(

As for using filters, you should be OK since they are routinely used in Naturally Extracted Tobaccos - TA being a NET as well.
But you can minimize your particles by preparing your Rustica with Pure Grain Alcohol rather than just PG.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I finally got around to trying Rustica alone as a base for a Ry4 type mix. It's really good, but I'll have to admit I slightly prefer combining Rustica with other tobacco's for this type of mix. Here's what I mixed and tried after 2 days steep time.
Rustica 3%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 2%
TFA Vanilla Bean 1%
TFA Caramel Candy 2%

I mixed this up a couple days ago and it's disappearing fast, but I think I'm going to add in some Ina tobacco and some more base and see how that goes.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I'm not much for sweet mixes but if that's what your going for you hit the nail right on the head. If your wanting to get more tobacco taste then your plan of adding a suitable tobacco flavor on top of the rustica is a sound plan. I would think increasing your total tobacco to 6 - 7 % would be good. maybe 2% rustica and 4 - 5% tobacco flavor if it's hangsen if using inawera 2 - 3% on top of the vanilla's and caramel would work nicely.

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I'm not much for sweet mixes but if that's what your going for you hit the nail right on the head. If your wanting to get more tobacco taste then your plan of adding a suitable tobacco flavor on top of the rustica is a sound plan. I would think increasing your total tobacco to 6 - 7 % would be good. maybe 2% rustica and 4 - 5% tobacco flavor if it's hangsen if using inawera 2 - 3% on top of the vanilla's and caramel would work nicely.
Right on. I wound up adding base and Ina Tobacco at 3% and it suits me better now. Mind you I'm being really picky here. I'm trying to come up with the combo's I like best and making note of them.

Reactions: Dixie1954

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I've found a touch of apricot or peach go well with Rustica. Not as a mix but dripped on occasion. I mixed some of my precious (no longer produced) ADV, and it seems Rustica has usurped it to my delight. Been on that one for 4.5 years with no replacement. Happy camper.
Great, and congrats on finding a flavor that you like even better than the one it replaces.

I wouldn't have thought of apricot for a hundred dollars but I guess it does get used in pipe tobacco some. I may have to pick up a bottle on my next order. What brand do you use?

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I'm giving my 2 cents again on another Tobacco Absolute.
I bought a jug of FA Tuscan Reserve Ultimate from RTS Vapes, its been rebottled into 10ml glass bottle but thats no biggie to me.
I built a 5% mix Tuscan with no nic on Aug 24. mixed it with my magnetic mixer and had a smell, it smells dirty like a ashtray, had a taste of the young mix and it tasted like the super elcheapo 100ml for 3 bucks Chinese no name juice in which is like licking a ashtray...YUK.
Today Sept 2 I had another taste and its still like licking a ashtray but more predominate, this Tuscan TA is disgusting and I wasted 30 mls of base. This is another flavoring I'm going to add to the shelf of shame and prolly throw it away. I'll still give it a couple more weeks steep time but I don't think time will fix this YUK flavoring.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I'm giving my 2 cents again on another Tobacco Absolute.
I bought a jug of FA Tuscan Reserve Ultimate from RTS Vapes, its been rebottled into 10ml glass bottle but thats no biggie to me.

Which one of the TA's is your favorite? I recall you mentioned TA by RTS is the sharpest of the bunch. I have yet to find a Virginia type TA flavorful enough for me.

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
I have a question - where in the world did you get the idea that FA Tuscan Reserve was a TA?? o_O Also if you try it out at 1% and work up - you may find it different. ;) There is NO way I'd suggest anyone try any of the FA tobaccos at 5% :shock: But this is just my :2c: "Tuscan Reserve - Start at 1%. A new flavor from Ultimate project. The "Toscano" is the finest Italian cigar. This flavor developed with Toscano as target, offers a nice, smooth and delicate cigar flavor with a hint of charcoal smokiness in the background. An excellent vape after a robust dinner. Perfect for those who like a slightly dark flavor with a clean finish." (a copied review) :vapor:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Ya I thought it was TA, I dunno what made me think that. I am so wrong...its a flavoring. Hmmm owell never the less even at 3% It would be yuk. Now that I went and looked RTS has only the 1 tobacco absolute and thats the one I like the most mixed with my Hangsen tobacs. 5% RTS TA, 60/40 with no nic sit for a month...wonderful taste. 50mls Hangsen and 30mls of the TA mix, add nic to offset the 30mls with no nic, let it sit for a few days before I begin to enjoy. My Hangsen tobacs are Highway, Desert Ship and No5, their all equally good. I add no sweetener so my vapes are somewhat dry but I'm no where near as parched as I was vaping commercial juices and I just don't get sick of the taste. I also get well over 2 weeks of 2-3+ kayfun fills a day and the coil hardly gunk'd and the rayon is still nice. A 1.2ohm twisted 30 gauge spaced coil on a provari is my work and go everywhere PV.
I don't care what people say, I got the Isticks, mechs IPV2...ect ect but the provari provides the smoothest most consistent vape that I haven't got from any other PV.
If your into the ash taste then the Tuscan is right up your alley.
I should add the 5% INW Garuda I made over a month ago is really good also with the same grassy as the RTS TA but not as strong taste and a little sweetness so my next mix will try 6% and see how it goes. I have to build the FA 7Leaves at 12% so I can get some flavor, its a nice addition but having to use so much...na, I got other flavors I can spend on instead.

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I have to build the FA 7Leaves at 12% so I can get some flavor, its a nice addition but having to use so much...na, I got other flavors I can spend on instead.

You either have a bad batch, or you are using it excessively, which according to some, will diminish flavor, rather than increase it. Most of FA is recommended around 2-3%. I use 7 Leaves at 2% and couldn't be happier.

JD, I have the chart you are referring to and will post it once I locate it.

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I read somewhere that FA flavors begin to lose their taste once you go beyond a certain % . Sounds strange, but sometimes true. They are super concentrated flavors with 2-4 % recommended range. Your 7 Leaves might be coming from a bad batch. I use it at 2% with good results.

JD, I have the chart you are referring to and will post it once I locate it.
Great. I'll get it bookmarked again. I think I had it bookmarked at one time and somehow lost it. Hopefully some others will find it as interesting as I did.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
You either have a bad batch, or you are using it excessively, which according to some, will diminish flavor, rather than increase it. Most of FA is recommended around 2-3%. I use 7 Leaves at 2% and couldn't be happier.

I first made the 7leaves at 5% and nothing as a standalone so next try I made 10% and it was still very mild but way better than my previous attempt and it went well with the hangsens. The last batch is 12% and being only a week or so old I haven't tried it. I could very well have a off batch but the only way to learn is to try and the 7leaves is not that bad at all, once its gone its gone.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Thanks, but I don't have anything on my computer that will open that at the moment. I finally found a thread here on ECF that has the info. I think Flavourart may have taken the original down or they've moved it because the link given goes to 404 not found.

I've often wondered if a thread on flavor descriptions would be helpful. For instance, terms like earthy, woody, spicey, just to name a few. I'd think those would probably mean different things to different people and we'd never get a good consensus anyway lol. Some of our reviews sound like a wine tasting convention already. :D

Anyways, here's the link to the ECF page for anyone that's interested. FlavourArt Tobacco Flavor Chart | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread