Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
The thing that puzzles me is why would you want to pay Amazon for a dongle to plug into your TV then pay, again, to watch a movie? Netflix, Hulu and a bunch of other don't make you buy a dongle.

I had Prime for about two months and couldn't find anything I wanted to watch for free so all it was, to me, was a pay to join, pay to watch, movie service and, basically, useless. Yeah, I know free shipping on Amazon, but I don't buy enough to justify the cost of Prime.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Has anyone heard of the Amazon Firestick? It is a thingy that you put in a portal in you TV and then your wireless router lets you use the Amazon Library of movies and TV shows and radio stations on your TV.

There is something called Prime Instant Video where you can get some movies and TV shows for free.

Has anyone used this?
Amazon Prime is NOT free. It's like $100+ /year. But you get free 2-day shipping with that too. And on Prime, not everything is free after the membership. Mostly local shows (usually current season only) and older movies. The other stuff you pay for as you go, then I think you get a couple of days to watch it.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@Renolizzie . . .

If I may suggest, there are a few much better items to consider and/or services to get . . .

1) First and foremost, a "Smart HDTV" or a DVD "Smart Player"

or

2) A "Roku" or "Google dongle" (If Ya' Must)

All of these will connect a TV to the Internet via a router for both Fee for Service "Apps" such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. and some Free via Internet Services too . . .

Personally, "My" sister got "Me" a subscription to Netflix about 10 years ago as a present, so I got a Roku (which will also stream additional service/Their TV Channels) to stream Movies directly to "My" Older TV . . . Than a couple of Years later, I was lucky enough to get a Samsung HDTV "Smart TV" for X-mas and a year after that a Samsung DVD "Smart Player" that was an Open Box + 30 % Off Sale at Best Buy (right after X-Mas) that I use on the TV in BDRM . . . With all these devices I can stream any available Movie/TV Show on Netflix (and/or Other Pay a Fee Services) to them without any problems . . . Also, "You" might want to consider a "Tablet" that can connect to a Screen via a HDMI Cable . . . The Xoom Tablet (which is no longer available) I have does - so I can use it to watch a lot of other Free TVShows/Movie via the Internet and website that provide those services . . . One of the best parts about this - is that once the "Tablet" is connected to the HDTV (Like most computers can too) I also have a 46" "Computer" Monitor to view what I want, including even ECF Web Pages . . . AND - With a "BlueTooth" Mouse and Keyboard (although can be a "PIA" with the delay) the Whole World Wide Web is - HUGE - & Open to almost anything I want to see . . . ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
@Renolizzie . . .

If I may suggest, there are a few much better items to consider and/or services to get . . .

1) First and foremost, a "Smart HDTV" or a DVD "Smart Player"

or

2) A "Roku" or "Google dongle" (If Ya' Must)

All of these will connect a TV to the Internet via a router for both Fee for Service "Apps" such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. and some Free via Internet Services too . . .

Personally, "My" sister got "Me" a subscription to Netflix about 10 years ago as a present, so I got a Roku (which will also stream additional service/Their TV Channels) to stream Movies directly to "My" Older TV . . . Than a couple of Years later, I was lucky enough to get a Samsung HDTV "Smart TV" for X-mas and a year after that a Samsung DVD "Smart Player" that was an Open Box + 30 % Off Sale at Best Buy (right after X-Mas) that I use on the TV in BDRM . . . With all these devices I can stream any available Movie/TV Show on Netflix (and/or Other Pay a Fee Services) to them without any problems . . . Also, "You" might want to consider a "Tablet" that can connect to a Screen via a HDMI Cable . . . The Xoom Tablet (which is no longer available) I have does - so I can use it to watch a lot of other Free TVShows/Movie via the Internet and website that provide those services . . . One of the best parts about this - is that once the "Tablet" is connected to the HDTV (Like most computers can too) I also have a 46" "Computer" Monitor to view what I want, including even ECF Web Pages . . . AND - With a "BlueTooth" Mouse and Keyboard (although can be a "PIA" with the delay) the Whole World Wide Web is - HUGE - & Open to almost anything I want to see . . . ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
hahaha my mom got me addicted to Korean drama through Roku (we're Filipino). I found a free channel that has a bunch of Korean shows and we watched them 24/7 when she was in town. :laugh:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
hahaha my mom got me addicted to Korean drama through Roku (we're Filipino). I found a free channel that has a bunch of Korean shows and we watched them 24/7 when she was in town. :laugh:

YEA - Although I am not Korean (like I had to tell Ya' . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:) I got into a couple of Korean programs that were on a PBS station up North late at night for quite some time . . . One was about the rise of Korea & actually becoming a Nation and the others were kind of "Soap Operas" that mainly focused on the Korean Families, their Business/Work conditions, and their differences - even class struggles - between lovers/married couples who lived with parents/family . . . AND - Although I didn't understand a word (Thank you closed captioning and the sub-titles) most of the time they were always filled with some form of action adventure that I enjoyed . . . :D

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
We already have Directv which hubby loves and I just signed up for the better DVR thingey called Genie that lets you record more shows.

I already have a Prime membership because I buy a lot of stuff online so I don't have to go into town to shop. So far, I actually like the Prime membership since so many items ship for free.

Nice to hear all these thoughts on the Fire TV dongle.

Don't you have to pay a fee for Netflix and Hulu?

Duh you said there is potentially a fee.

Last edited:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I tutored the kids again today. It was all pretty normal, but at reading time, I gave The Jungle Books a try with the girl reading a section aloud. There were some words she didn't know, but she's determined to read it so she can find out what happened. Music to my ears! She may be a reader yet! I told her wanting to know what happens next in a story is called "suspense," and it's what makes reading fun. I think till now, the reading she has done was factual or silly fairy tales that didn't really engage her, and finally, Kipling (of all authors!) is grabbing hold of her. This is an 8-year-old girl who speaks English as a second language! I can't believe she did so well. Actually, I told her it would be hard going, that it's not really written for kids, and warned her that I'd read it aloud if she found it too difficult. That challenge may have inspired her to spend so much energy on reading it. At the end of the first chapter -- Mowgli is raised by wolves, a bear and panther befriend him and teach him, and then Shere Kahn, the evil tiger, who has always wanted to have Mowgli for dinner, influences some of the wolf pack to turn against him, and that means he has to go back to the humans -- the girl asked, "Will he find his mother?" I said we'd have to wait and see. But she said, "You read this already, so you know." But I wouldn't tell, just repeating what I said about suspense.

The next chapter goes back in time to when Mowgli was younger and still learning all he can from Baloo, the bear, about jungle ways and how to speak to all the different animals. I wonder if the girl will be disappointed that she won't get to see right away what happens to Mowgli among his own kind, a boy raised by wolves, so he has no idea of human ways. And will he finally kill Shere Kahn, the sly tiger who wants him dead?

My mother read this story to me when I was little, and I doubt I've read it since, so I hardly remember all the details myself. If the girl remains interested, it should be fun for both of us.

I then tutored the new girl for the 2nd time. She did her homework, except that I asked her to write the alphabet again, and she didn't do it. I emphasized that she should do it -- maybe she forgot, and I should have written it down -- and gave that sheet back to her. She tried to find the ABC song on YouTube but said she could only find where people spoke the alphabet, so she practiced singing it w/o a guide. She was off tune, but otherwise knew it pretty well, and she sang along with me much better. We got her iPad and looked for a suitable site. I wish she had email so I could send her a link I looked up at home. I hate to take precious tutoring time doing stuff like that. Still, I taught her how to look at all the sites that came up on YouTube and select the one she thought was most useful.

Interesting that this girl is in the same grade and same school that the other girl is in, and they are so different in skill. One is reading Kipling, and the other is still learning the alphabet and how to sound out words.

Today, I introduced the concept of verbs to the new girl. There were sentences on a worksheet, and she had to circle the verbs. She needed a lot of help, and some words in the sentences she didn't know, so they became vocabulary words. She did her first fill-in-the-blanks sheet, which I make up for the kids of words they didn't know in their reading. We are also going through Dolch word lists to see what basic words she needs to know. I started the first lesson with preschool, and she knew all of them, so this lesson she had 1st grade Dolch words, and she didn't know one, and next, we'll do the 2nd grade list. She speaks a lot more clearly than the original boy and girl at the same level of work. Interesting. She can even say the "th" sound, which still gives the boy a bit of trouble. He wants to pronounce it as an "f." When I correct him, he can say it, but old habits die hard.

The little one still hasn't learned "giraffe," which I've dealt with a couple of times now. And today, we went up to the kitchen to see the refrigerator and learn that word. I have a picture of it, but he wasn't sure what it was, so I took him to see a real one. Grandma was in the kitchen (unfortunately for her clean floor, mopping the floor, which we walked across), but she was interested in learning the word, too. She told me when she was in China, learning English some 30 years ago, no one had a refrigerator, so that word never came up in vocabulary. So in the car on the ride to Ithaca, I taught her to pronounce "refrigerator," breaking it down into syllables and speaking clearly and slowly. She said it almost perfectly after my coaching, but while talking about them, the word disintegrated into her strong accent. I wish I could teach all the adults to lose their accents! They are sometimes hard to understand, especially the new girl's mom. Maybe I'll get used to her in time, and it'll get easier.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
There is something called Prime Instant Video where you can get some movies and TV shows for free.

Has anyone used this?

I personally do not have it, but I know a few people that do. Not all movies are free, but many are and the others can be streamed for fairly cheap. It does not have as much as Netflix, but if you are interested and can use Prime - why not...

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
We already have Directv which hubby loves and I just signed up for the better DVR thingey called Genie that lets you record more shows.

I already have a Prime membership because I buy a lot of stuff online so I don't have to go into town to shop. So far, I actually like the Prime membership since so many items ship for free.

Nice to hear all these thoughts on the Fire TV dongle.

Don't you have to pay a fee for Netflix and Hulu?

Duh you said there is potentially a fee.
Lizzie, since you already have Prime, finding a cheap way to use Prime Vid would just let you take better advantage of your membership. :) I say do it! They have some pretty good stuff. You could binge out on a TV show (haha watch all the episodes all at once) and they have a ton of older movies that are still fun to watch.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

SandySu - I was reading Kipling at a fairly young age. Who doesn't love Jungle Book?

Speech, language and the way we learn to make the different sounds is actually a very interesting topic. If you don't learn a few of the sounds when you are very young, it is very difficult to learn them when you are older.

I enjoyed everyone's input about the Amazon Fire Stick. I'm still reading on this topic. Electronics is hard for me. I'm more of an organic person:) Dogs, plants, horses....That I understand!

I don't know if hooking the TV up to the computer is worth the effort. I have the tablet and I have the computer. I heard there are now TV's that have built-in hook up to the wireless in your house. I don't think they had that when we got our TV a few years ago. I usually resist change. For one thing, it definitely costs money to buy new equipment.

Several years ago we got the new flat screen TV which is really nice and it is a lot lighter than the old TV.

The new computer was a huge step up from the old computer. I am amazed at how much memory is in the newer computers.

We had dial up internet until it literally became useless because it was so slow!!!!! I had to do a lot of research to find our internet service. We love this internet provider. The speed is incredible.

Wireless has been around for awhile but it took our old printer dying for me to look into it. The printer cable is such a pain and you want to be able to place the printer not so close to the computer.

Once we had wireless router, we realized we could get a tablet. I like the tablet a lot because it helps keep me organized without a notebook to keep my lists in:)

We then got wireless speakers so we could send music outside for our BBQ last year.

It seems like wireless is the reason you can have internet on your TV. So amazing!!!!

I'm stuck with DirctTV for two years now that we signed up for the Genie but it really slays me to have to pay so much to watch TV. Personally, I would just cancel the whole TV thing but Hubby really likes being able to watch TV. I have been without TV a number of times. When I first moved to Reno I didn't have television. I finally got a small TV with rabbit ears because I missed watching TV while I was eating dinner. You don't get a lot of TV on local channels so I had the TV off most of the time.

I still don't run the TV all day like many people I know. I enjoy the sounds of silence:)

Supposed to be 81 degrees today and the trend has been downward in the temps. Looks like fall is sneaking up on us although it is staying fairly warm for the time being.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I don't know if hooking the TV up to the computer is worth the effort.

I still don't run the TV all day like many people I know. I enjoy the sounds of silence:)
Since I have cable TV and internet, my monitor IS my TV. I just switch back and forth. Really saves space, which is a real plus, given how little room I have.

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Your nearest hydrogen bomb.
Hm yes it was a bit tall. Around 50-56 meters but it's an old tower and had a balcony on top, very convenient. We had to relocate a 3 inch pole on the outside of the tower (the wrench you hear is the tightening of it), i was about to leave for the ground and got a video before i left. Relocating is a bit dangerous and we were 3 people for the transfer, then we lifted up 3 new LTE antennas and all the subsystems with optic fibers and stuff.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltpeeps!

Labor Day weekend is coming up and I am looking forwards to the annual rib cook off in Sparks.

The TV guy hooked up my Genie DVR and it seems nice. He also hooked up Directv on Demand which I thought would have cool free stuff but so far it doesn't look like it has much for free.

I looked on the internet and people were saying that if you pay for HBO and/or other special movie channels like Starz then you have more "free" movies to choose from but you have to pay for those channels and I absolutely refuse to pay for movies when I am already paying to watch TV. Ridiculous!

DirectTV on Demand also hooks up to your wireless and some people have been charged lots of money by their internet service according to the installation guy. So, he had me call the internet service and they told me I have a100 gigabytes a month and I am using 25 gigabytes per month. The installation guy thought I would be fine.

The internet people are very sweet and she said that, unlike some companies, they monitor your account and if it starts going high they will call me to find out what is up with that. It won't be like "Surprise, here is your giant internet bill." I love my internet service.

I'm going to take a closer look at what is available on Demand TV but if it looks like we aren't going to use it, I'm turning it off so I don't end up using lots of my internet gigabytes on something I am not even using.

So far, Amazon Prime has lots more movies and TV shows that I might watch than DOD. I have never seen the Sopranos or Glee [I caught a couple of episodes of glee]. We don't watch many movies so I might watch Erased or a bunch of others than are on Prime.

We shall see.

I have to work today and then run some errands:)

What does everyone have planned for the big weekend?

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I just love cable TV services. When we lived in Bordentown, we had Comtrash cable and internet. It would go down at least once a week and stay down for days at a time. Calls to them are like calling the Motor Vehicle Department.

When we moved here, we got FiOS with the HD package. What they don't tell you is that the HD package doesn't include an HD set top box, which is another ten or fifteen bucks a month. I will say it hasn't gone down other than in extreme storms, and then only for a few hours. On the other hand, the cost keeps going up and up and they keep dropping channels, not that we watch the channels being dropped, but it is the whole point of less service for more money.

Neither of us are into "reality" TV shows or the network series stuff. Zombies, we both worked with them for years. To be honest, there isn't a whole lot that is worth watching to us, anyway. If it wasn't for "needing" a decent internet connection I'd just put up an antenna on a rotor and watch Philly, NYC and, maybe even, Baltimore commercial TV for local news. Movies can be had from a variety of sources.

This weekend Mrs. Awsum is going into Queens to visit some relatives she hasn't seen in a long time, I'll be here working outside. Monday, we'll probably do a barbeque after working outside, again. Tomorrow is "Shade Tree Mechanic" day for me, working on the Jeep, trackbar, steering stabilizer and front shocks (I hope). The Jeep is getting new sneakers on the front today.

Last edited:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Hubby loves DirecTV so I am stuck with paying for TV. We do watch a couple of shows on a regular basis like Project Runway [my show], and Hell on Wheels and The Vikings and The Americans which we both love. Hubby likes UFC fighting and the WWII channels. I don't watch either of those.

Honestly, most shows are drivel but I don't mind watching a bit of TV.

Cable was very bad in Carson City. The service was down all the time but with the satellite TV we have very little problems. Maybe if it is raining or snowing hard we have a bit of a break in service.

The internet service is sort of like a cell phone with a little tiny dish on the roof facing Eagle Ridge. That service only goes out if there is heavy rain or snow on the ridgeline or if the wind knocks something loose during one of our big wind storms. They always fix it quickly.

Hubby needs to play mechanic this weekend too. He has a windshield wiper pump to replace and he needs to fix the tube that is leaking gear shifter fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread