Why do we still call our vapes e-cigarettes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
I apologize in advance because I know I have seen the explanation here, but I cannot find it now that I am having a discussion about it. My husband wants to know why I am not upset by this. I told him that I see the term e-cigarette as a bridge to help those still smoking feel that they are going at the quit thing slowly. I also told him that many people use the terms vape, PV, or one of my favs to chuckle about P.E.N.I.S (I know, but it is fun to act 7 now and again).:lol: So my question is in hopes to find a better explanation as to why we do not change the use of the term e-cigarette. Just as a side note, he is a dual user but is not a member here. Apparently this is the first time he noticed the name of the forum I spend so much time on. o_O Help me out good folks. :thumbs:

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
Another stab at changing the name is one I'm using lately, like this, EC (ecig)

I like that EC, If I am speaking with a smoker or somebody that I think probably has not heard other terms I will still call it my e-cig but more then often I fondly call it my vape, although I have used other fun terms to describe it.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Last edited:

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Those who know nothing about vaping MAY only know about e-cigarettes = electronic cigs from the news. Two yrs. ago, I only knew about an electric Blu thingy that looked like a cigarette. Wasn't until I started looking into them that I found out about vaping, mods, tanks, etc. and....... I was a smoker interested in finding out.

Non smokers (most of the general public) have no interest in finding out about vaping, so would only perhaps be familiar with e-cigs if they know anything at all and only because they heard it on the media. When I've used the word vaping or PV or vapor with a non smoker, I get the clueless expression. If I use the e-cigarette description, half the time they understand. When I whip out the ol' box mod with refillible tank with drip tip, their eyes grow big; and, of course, they say, "That doesn't look like a cigarette at all!" THEN I explain the difference. :)

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
If I use the term vaporizer people would think I am smoking the other stuff...

Exactly! One of my husband's friends called a few weeks ago, and we were chatting and I told him I'd quit smoking and started vaping (he smokes). He lives in The Big City, and I just assumed he would have heard of vaping, but his response was, "Oh, switched to the 'good stuff,' eh?" sigh... I told him no, it was an ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE, and all of a sudden he understood.

When I first started looking into vaping, I did a search for "e-cigarette" because that's the term I'd always heard. It's how I found this forum. :D Now I know better, but I'd still know nothing if I hadn't found ECF!

~Lannie

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Even though it's easier to understand, I do think it's time to move on. While smokers might understand it better, the non smokers are pulling out their pitch forks. We really need to seperate ourselves from the Big Tobacco Cigalike.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
e-cigarette-mechanics-copy-1024x627-300x183.jpg

Ummm, I really do think the reason its called an ecig is quite obvious, dont you think?

No one has ever said "check out my ecig" then whipped out a provari.

Besides, it's a,
Personal
Electronic
Nicotine
Inhalation
System.

Anyways :?:

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
Because our technology has surpassed our nomenclature. I'm prone to calling it my over-the-counter nic inhaler around the clueless. My wife still says she's smoking an electronic cigarette amd refers to the vapor as smoke. I try telling her that's not helping our cause, but for one so young, she is certainly set in her ways.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
View attachment 486745

Ummm, I really do think the reason its called an ecig is quite obvious, dont you think?

No one has ever said "check out my ecig" then whipped out a provari.

Besides, it's a,
Personal
Electronic
Nicotine
Inhalation
System.

Anyways :?:
Keep in mind though that the term was coined before our products even existed. Big Pharmaceutical isn't calling their Quick Mist a cigarette. Why should we?

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread