New member & Vaper, MVP 3.0 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

DK87

Sep 3, 2015
Hi all,

Just a quick introduction. My name is Dan, I'm 28 years old and I've been smoking cigarettes for ... too long. I got really sick a week or two ago and decided to kick it. I've been "analog" (see I've been reading!) free for 9 days and counting now - thanks to vaping.

I decided to jump into the vaping scene with both feet. I have an EVOD from a while ago that I started out with when I decided on a whim to quit smoking. I then went ahead, and did a ton of research (I went from literally knowing NOTHING about this stuff to being fairly knowledgeable about it - for a newbie - in a short period of time) and purchased myself an Innokin MVP 3.0 Pro which I just received today in the mail.

As much as I'm a newbie, I also have a 510 (I believe it's called) from way back and one of the first e-cigarettes made, but I never really got into it. This time I'm serious!

Anyhow, I the reason I decided to go with the MVP 3.0 Pro is because I didn't want to get a basic one and end up wanting to upgrade soon after. I figured this one would last me a while, and be somewhat future proof. And of course I spent hours and hours comparing, and decided to go with what I felt was a solid unit that is built well and may serve multiple purposes in terms of vaping.

So to the reason why I'm writing here today. I have a few questions, and though I'm sure some may be answered in other threads - some are more specific, and I'd like to start contributing to the forums as well!

My MVP 3.0 Pro kit came with the iSub G Tank. Sub-ohm vaping probably isn't the best place for a new vaper to start out I suppose, but I just figured it got me started with the kit and I am surely going to be purchasing a new tank for multiple reasons.

So here are some questions/situations I am left with ..

1. Vaping seems to really bother my throat .. from what I've learned, this could be from a myriad of things. ie. the PG/VG ratio, nicotine level, ohms, etc etc .. and I know sub-ohming would probably make things worse, but even on the EVOD it bothers me quite a bit. The juice I'm using now is a max VG juice called "wonderland" with 6mg nic - I've also used the muffin man juice as well which seemed slightly easier on the throat. Have my unit set to 22.5 Watts currently with this setup (any higher and it's almost unbearable for my throat/cough) - coil is rated for 20-35W. But overall, I can't seem to vape big clouds simply because it hurts and/or makes me cough. And in the mornings/throughout the day I'm left with feeling like I can't clear my throat but something is there. Any insight? Keep in mind, I have been an analog smoker for a long time and do enjoy some throat hit, but not when it actually "hurts" my throat, and/or makes me cough. It's kind of hard to explain the difference!

2. Is the MVP 3.0 Pro ideally made for sub-ohm vaping, or can it be used for +1ohm vaping just as well? ie. could I easily use something like the Aspire Nautilus tank on this unit without problems (not that I necessarily want to, just to confirm my thought process). I'm thinking maybe increasing the resistance for now will help with my throat/cough issues.

3. Can anyone recommend some good tanks for someone like me that would pair well with the MVP 3.0 Pro? I'm thinking something that can make use of coils ranging from the sub-ohm category to the 1+ ohm category so I can experiment and have some wiggle room without having to purchase multiple tanks (like the iSub G Tank I have now that - as far as I know - only supports the one 0.5ohm coil). Or some good coils/ohm levels for specific tanks to start out with that produce lots of flavor and vapor but without killing my throat or waking up with a sore/dry throat/cough.

I have a million thoughts and questions running through my head, but I'll put these out there first before I get carried away and this gets too long! If anyone has any juice recommendations that would be nice as well. I find I am liking the more creamy, thicker type of juices .. but I do like quite a bit of flavor. As a starting point, I went out and got Hawk Sauce and Thug Juice just because of the reviews .. and .. took about 2 puffs on them and that was enough. I didn't realize they were mint/menthol .. but now I know I do not like that stuff when it comes to vaping.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and/or respond to this thread. Any insight is greatly appreciated, and keep in mind I am still new to all of this! I look forward to any responses and contributing to this great community/forum which has already helped me so much!

Cheers,
Dan

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Welcome.

You did your research well. The MVP3 is an excellent beginner/intermediate mod. Unlike many of the other regulated box mods in its class, the MVP can step down its power accurately below the battery's actual voltage charge. This ability comes in handy if you find you like to vape at lower power settings. So, you can use both normal and subohm tanks equally well.

For instance, the similar eLeaf iStick mod can not use step down (buck circuitry) accurately. These are not capable of down regulating power (they can be widely inaccurate, especially at lower voltages). They can't output voltages between 3v and 4.2 volts even though their display say they can and are. Therefore, they may appear to be vaping "hot" or harsh at lower wattage settings.

upload_2015-7-6_10-46-36-png.469194

The harsh vapor and coughing is quite common among new vapers. You most likely experienced the same when you began smoking, until your body adapted to the smoke. The same will be true with vapor. Give it some time, your body will adapt.

I'll recomend the Aspire Nautilus with the normal resistance coils in case you find that your natural preferance is for a cooler vape.

Last edited:

DK87

Sep 3, 2015
Welcome.

You did your research well. The MVP3 is an excellent beginner/intermediate mod. Unlike many of the other regulated box mods in its class, the MVP can step down its power accurately below the battery's actual voltage charge. This ability comes in handy if you find you like to vape at lower power settings. So, you can use both normal and subohm tanks equally well.

The harsh vapor and coughing is quite common among new vapers. You most likely experienced the same when you began smoking, until your body adapted to the smoke. The same will be true with vapor. Give it some time, your body will adapt.

I'll recomend the Aspire Nautilus with the normal resistance coils in case you find that your natural preferance is for a cooler vape.

Thank you for your input.

I am glad to hear that! I like the ability to use it in multiple applications which is nice for options.

I'm hoping it is something that will just pass with time, yes. I have heard some people are sensitive to PG, or even VG specifically. Hopefully this is not the case! Your post gives me hope at least :)

Reactions: Baditude

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Throat hit is mostly caused by pg and nic. When moving to sub ohm's most people cut their nic in half or more because of the throat issues. Staying hydrated is important when switching to vape from cigs also.

The Kanger Subtank Mini is a great tank for learning. You can buy the 1.5 or .5 ohm factory vertical coils or learn to build on the build deck (it's easy). Though subtanks in general are mostly for lung hitters, I changed out the drip tip for a more restrictive one and use a smaller air flow for mouth to lung vape. I mouth to lung with my Subtanks.

The rule of thumb is "the better the delivery device the more juice consumed and therefore more nicotine ingested." You can buy the same juice in a zero nic and mix equal parts of the nic juice to cut the nic content by 50%.

The Aspire Nautilus Mini is probably one of the best tanks for someone newly coming off the cigs. It is mainly for mouth to lung vape, similar to a cig. The 1.6 or 1.8 ohm vertical coils give a great vape. Moving to a "above ohm coil" will help if your throat issues are caused by the nic.

The mod (MVP Pro) is an excellent choice. It will have no issue on 99% of the tanks available today.

I'd suggest finding a local vape shop and going there to sample the flavors to find what you like. For shopping online you might check here:

DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals | E-Cigarette Forum (go to last couple pages)
FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

Good luck in your vape journey and welcome to the sanity.

DK87

Sep 3, 2015
Throat hit is mostly caused by pg and nic. When moving to sub ohm's most people cut their nic in half or more because of the throat issues. Staying hydrated is important when switching to vape from cigs also.

The Kanger Subtank Mini is a great tank for learning. You can buy the 1.5 or .5 ohm factory vertical coils or learn to build on the build deck (it's easy). Though subtanks in general are mostly for lung hitters, I changed out the drip tip for a more restrictive one and use a smaller air flow for mouth to lung vape. I mouth to lung with my Subtanks.

The rule of thumb is "the better the delivery device the more juice consumed and therefore more nicotine ingested." You can buy the same juice in a zero nic and mix equal parts of the nic juice to cut the nic content by 50%.

The Aspire Nautilus Mini is probably one of the best tanks for someone newly coming off the cigs. It is mainly for mouth to lung vape, similar to a cig. The 1.6 or 1.8 ohm vertical coils give a great vape. Moving to a "above ohm coil" will help if your throat issues are caused by the nic.

The mod (MVP Pro) is an excellent choice. It will have no issue on 99% of the tanks available today.

I'd suggest finding a local vape shop and going there to sample the flavors to find what you like. For shopping online you might check here:

DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals | E-Cigarette Forum (go to last couple pages)
FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

Good luck in your vape journey and welcome to the sanity.

Thanks so much for all of your insight! I had a feeling, yes. I started off with 6mg nic, though I do have higher nic juice as well. I'm thinking I may drop it down to 3, especially if I stick to the sub ohm vaping. I'm noticing it's already getting much better on my throat just in the one day I've been using it.

I am definitely interested in learning to build my own coils, though currently I know absolutely nothing about it. I think I am becoming more of a lung hitter than mouth to lung already, probably mostly because I find it doesn't hurt my throat as much and I can get more vapor. Do you still get lots of vapor when you do mouth to lung hits? I was going to say, the tips on these tanks seem to big for a comfortable mouth to lung hit they almost force me to take a straight lung hit!

Great point about the juice, I will definitely keep that in mind. I will probably try out the 3mg first and take it from there. I also feel like I will be leaning towards the higher VG juices, but don't want to sacrifice flavor and/or vapor .. so I will have to see what I do best with (maybe dropping the nic will make enough difference where the PG/VG won't matter as much).

I guess I am looking for a tank that has the capabilities of sub ohm and above ohm coils so I can experiment and see what works best for me. And also having the ability to build coils would be nice too down the road. I suppose there are only certain tanks you can rebuild coils for?

This kit came with the iSub G Tank, but one of the o-rings was completely destroyed inside of it when I opened it so I contacted the place I got it from and they are sending me a new replacement tank. Since they don't stock the iSub G Tank, they are sending me an Aspire Atlantis 2 tank which I think is pretty good? I'm not sure but I think you can use the 0.3, 0.5 and 1 ohm coils with it, which gives me somewhat of a variety .. but still nothing over the 1ohm range. So I'm sure I will buy another one at some point, but figure it's probably a better tank to start out with than the iSub G Tank since it has more options.

I read somewhere that something about the wick in the Atlantis tanks isn't healthy, that it's not cotton or something? Is this true or was this only the case with the first revision of the Atlantis tank?

Cheers,
Dan

DK87

Sep 3, 2015
The 3.0 pro is a super piece of hardware.

You can 'downgrade' your tanks all the way to something that works for you, at your stage.

Be happy! Good decision! Vape on! :)

I'm glad to hear that! Sounds like I've made a good choice.

That is definitely something I will be experimenting with.

Thanks! Cheers!

Dan

Reactions: djsvapour

magicmake

Aug 17, 2015
Australia
  • Deleted by retired1

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Thanks so much for all of your insight! I had a feeling, yes. I started off with 6mg nic, though I do have higher nic juice as well. I'm thinking I may drop it down to 3, especially if I stick to the sub ohm vaping. I'm noticing it's already getting much better on my throat just in the one day I've been using it.

I am definitely interested in learning to build my own coils, though currently I know absolutely nothing about it. I think I am becoming more of a lung hitter than mouth to lung already, probably mostly because I find it doesn't hurt my throat as much and I can get more vapor. Do you still get lots of vapor when you do mouth to lung hits? I was going to say, the tips on these tanks seem to big for a comfortable mouth to lung hit they almost force me to take a straight lung hit!

Great point about the juice, I will definitely keep that in mind. I will probably try out the 3mg first and take it from there. I also feel like I will be leaning towards the higher VG juices, but don't want to sacrifice flavor and/or vapor .. so I will have to see what I do best with (maybe dropping the nic will make enough difference where the PG/VG won't matter as much).

I guess I am looking for a tank that has the capabilities of sub ohm and above ohm coils so I can experiment and see what works best for me. And also having the ability to build coils would be nice too down the road. I suppose there are only certain tanks you can rebuild coils for?

This kit came with the iSub G Tank, but one of the o-rings was completely destroyed inside of it when I opened it so I contacted the place I got it from and they are sending me a new replacement tank. Since they don't stock the iSub G Tank, they are sending me an Aspire Atlantis 2 tank which I think is pretty good? I'm not sure but I think you can use the 0.3, 0.5 and 1 ohm coils with it, which gives me somewhat of a variety .. but still nothing over the 1ohm range. So I'm sure I will buy another one at some point, but figure it's probably a better tank to start out with than the iSub G Tank since it has more options.

I read somewhere that something about the wick in the Atlantis tanks isn't healthy, that it's not cotton or something? Is this true or was this only the case with the first revision of the Atlantis tank?

Cheers,
Dan
I wouldn't be concerned about the wick in the Atlantis, it's cotton. I get enough vapor with mouth to lung. I really don't care about the clouds, I much prefer flavor chasing, which is why I vape higher pg juice. The Kanger Subtank Mini does put out nice clouds if you want it, even with the above ohm coils.

Building coils is pretty easy, check out you tube on any specific tank like the Subtank Mini. The tank has to have a build deck to build coils, I don't believe the Atlantis has one.

Good luck in your vape journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread