Batterie Extremly Hot - Was gonna explose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
I will assume that this is a genuine post from someone who actually wants info, and just doesnt know anything about batteries.
u shorted your battery. Yes, It would have exploded all up on your leg, and your leg woulda been pretty badly hurt, probably woulda been a lot of blood too.
First. never put a battery in your pocket.
One time, I put a pair of batteries in my backpack without a case, only because my case broke and I was on Vacation, so didnt have a spare. I made sure there was nothing in side that pocket.
unwrapping your batteries is not usually a good idea. did you rewrap ?

Rule of thumb, If you do not trust your vendor enough to trust that the batteries are authentic or not, you probably should not be buying your batteries from that vendor. :pop:

tjeco

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Manila, Philippines
It was in my left pants pocket..with my house key, a chrysler 200 key and a small flashlight.

Yeah, one of the DONT'S of Vaping is, do not EVER put your batteries in your pocket along with your keys, coins or some kind of metallic object that can come in contact with the positive and the negative. Unless you want a short or battery vent in you pocket, and if that's what you want then go ahead. lol!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
One time, I put a pair of batteries in my backpack without a case, only because my case broke and I was on Vacation, so didnt have a spare. I made sure there was nothing in side that pocket.

Yeah, here's what happened when someone didn't check the pocket in a backpack for metal objects when carrying batteries. An extreme and dramatic example to be sure, the battery's circuit was completed with something metalic in the bag causing the battery to vent in thermal runaway. You see the inside contents of the battery exploding from the cell casing like they are an accordion. Battery was an AW 18490 IMR battery...a safe chemistry battery. Imagine this happening inside a pants pocket, purse, or mod.

phot1o-jpg.255217
photo-jpg.255218

Hi All - from a shaken up Provari AW 18490 battery owner!

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
Yeah, here's what happened when someone didn't check the pocket in a backpack for metal objects when carrying batteries. An extreme and dramatic example to be sure, the battery's circuit was completed with something metalic in the bag causing the battery to vent in thermal runaway. You see the inside contents of the battery exploding from the cell casing like they are an accordion. Battery was an AW 18490 IMR battery...a safe chemistry battery. Imagine this happening inside a pants pocket, purse, or mod.

phot1o-jpg.255217
photo-jpg.255218

Hi All - from a shaken up Provari AW 18490 battery owner!

Haha yea, I know... I like to think that I have a fairly good knowledge about battery safety, And I think ( Hope) That you would agree, seeing as how most of that knowledge came from you...haha!
Yea, That coulda happened to the OP's leg.
Almost worse if it goes off inside a cheap clone with not enough vent holes. BOOM!
These kinda stories give vaping a bad name
Lets look at it from a hypothetical.
Battery blows in your pocket. Your leg is all messed up... pretty bad, you needed a couple operations etc.
Media gets wind of it.
What kind of battery. Oh an 18650 (or similar). What are they used for? Oh Laptops, Flashlights, Vape gear.... Hold on what?
Interviews !
Papers get plastered with Electronic cigarette battery explodes.
Tons of people probably going to be scared off vaping. Vaping gets more of a bad rap.
Not practicing proper battery safety is bad for all of us.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Also, some day ago, I did remove the "plastic" of the battery.
To check if it was a genuine Pannasonic.
Maybe that did not help..
Don't EVER do that!! Tell me you at least rewrapped it before using it again or putting it your pocket full of keys...
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Reactions: thetrucker

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Any battery, regardless if it is for ecigs or not, should never go in a pants pocket or loose area with other metal objects. This can happen even with the standard AA or AAA etc... batteries that we use around the house.

Hubby learned that lesson with a AA battery, in his pocket with keys, years ago.

Glad you are OK and you have learned a lesson that you can tell to others and let them know what Not to do :)

My battery cases are large so when I just need to take 1 out and about with me, I just pop it in one of those little zip lock bags that held something ecig related that was shipped to me. Even in that little baggie, I don't trust it completely and have it in a side pocket, of my purse, that has nothing else in it.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Well i just ordered a 4 pack of cases on Amazon. I have one case already, normally have two batts i my IPV4, one in a tube mod, one in my Sigelei mini and a spare battery on my humidor. But I figured why not just get cases. Dont want anything Esplosing on me or in my house!!

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
In a pinch you can make a battery case from a couple of 10ml or 15ml juice bottles with the tops cut off. Just slide them together with the battery inside. :)

And FWIW, the wrapper on the battery is an integral part of the battery. It's there for a reason.

Apeph

Dec 28, 2013
Mtl
All this thread was serious and I really appreciate your informations.
I'm not noob usually, I know a lot about vaping, hell yah a lot, I also sell premium liquid etc.

But this time, I got a lesson, I did not rewrap the batterie, I just throw it out outside!
I also bought batteries cases and I'll speak about that to others persons.

At my job, a lot of them also put their batteries in theirs pockets, "oh my god what are they doing!?"

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
All this thread was serious and I really appreciate your informations.
I'm not noob usually, I know a lot about vaping, hell yah a lot, I also sell premium liquid etc.

But this time, I got a lesson, I did not rewrap the batterie, I just throw it out outside!
I also bought batteries cases and I'll speak about that to others persons.

At my job, a lot of them also put their batteries in theirs pockets, "oh my god what are they doing!?"
I appreciate your honesty. It takes a big man/woman to flat out say how doofusy they can be and I can relate.
I'm so glad no harm done, and every new vaper who might read this thread can see how simple it is to prevent...EXPLOSING (which is my new word of the decade and hope it goes on to the Oxford Dictionary).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread