Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
There is so much I don't know yet, it's going to be another steep learning curve. Like how many flutes on the end mill will be best for stabilised hardwood and how many for Brass and Alu?, if you could post or send me some links to a suitable End mill and router set for sale, even if I have to source them in Australia it would give me an indication of the quality and type of bits I will be looking for. And yes I am that stupid at the moment in this area I do need you to draw me a picture LOL.
I have done very rough milling with my cronky old drill press and a guide clamped to the plate, that was dangerous and messy, I really can't wait to have the control of the mill.
Last question while I think of it, do i need a swivel or pivoting vice, I see they are much more expensive and figure rigidity and zeroing could be a pain?
bowl/tray router bits are great for planing, squaring, etc. Far less risk of tear out.

Reactions: studiovap

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
There is some very nice work in this thread,most is way beyond my capabilities haha.
After vaping on mech bottom feeders for a few months,i decided i wanted a vw sqounker,so i decided to build one.I started out with a 1590B box,and it was huge,so i scrapped that plan and moved to a 1590G box.It is a very tight fit trying to get everything in a G box,but i finally got it after alot of trial and error haha.Definitely not the prettiest setup on the inside,but who really sees the inside most of time anyway.
I think on my next one though,i'm going to leave the charging board out so i can lower the main board and figure a way to shield it from juice leaks.I've already had 2 times that juice leaked and got on the board which luckily didn't damage it,but made it unusable for a few days until it dried out.Definitely a learning experience for the next one.
Sorry about the crappy pics,my phone has a horrible camera haha.
WP_20150905_20_28_37_Smart.jpg
WP_20150905_20_27_18_Smart.jpg

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
Ok I got my Ebony Abaddon clone, not going to do a full write up , but here are a few pics of the "interesting " bits.
Sorry for the poor quality pics, but I was busy :)

Soldering up the mini mini super mosfet , I used sterling sliver for the contacts.

20570103734_844e37d288_b.jpg

Now the hybridised Igo-L with sterling sliver post and silver contact spring to connect with the silver contact soldered to the drain drain on the mosfet,
the piece of sanitary silicon tubing secured with a brass washer for the needle on the bottle to connect to, and the upgrade from small corroded copper battery contact to large brass Chicago screw.
(incidentally the battery is run positive down, so it has and extra loose heatshrink sleeve on the pos end to ensure insulation is not an issue)

21182463872_afb104139e_b.jpg

Then the carefully cut piece of TH board to receive the tactile switch, and the final result after cutting nice small (I have small hands) squonk hole, sanding and CA finish for durability. (Whole mod including internals were treated to a CA finish for waterproofing and durability)

21166545766_51dfd357b9_b.jpg

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
Wow turbo! That dna200 mod of yours destroys pretty much all chip squonkers period. Bravo there, shame it's not available for purchase.

thanks bro, and yeah, things may change on that front for me pretty soon, what really sucks though is that I enjoy being a part of this community and being a part of threads such as this, once someone becomes a vendor here they do kinda have to give some of that up. I enjoy helping others and being a part of the community in that sense, but then again so do guys like Peter(pdib) and Corey(Custom-Classic), yet there posts are stricken from here and they are not allowed to participate in community discussions freely even though they are not promoting there product here at all really...

it would be awesome to be able to build mods for the community and still be able to be part of the community as well, but rules are rules and I can certainly understand and respect exactly why much of this is necessary, but it just seems that for some reason bottom feeders in particular are one area where becoming a vendor restricts your involvement with the rest of the bottom feeding community especially, and even more so than many other vendors, so becoming a vendor with bottom feeders in particular is even more of a sacrifice as far as community involvement.

no vendors of any kind can participate in the bottom feeding forums at all, so to do it as just a casual type thing probably isn't worth it because you give up too much for too little. it's only worth it if you're really going to get into supplying mods on a serious level and up until now I just love being a part of this community so much, so it's hard to decide to really do it. don't get me wrong, I'm not so much complaining and I think ECF is awesome in that they allow guys like peter and corey to actually run a business on ECF in the first place, again I understand there position and am not complaining at all, just explaining why it's not a casual decision to decide to really get into building mods for others

Last edited:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
thanks bro, and yeah, things may change on that front for me pretty soon, what really sucks though is that I enjoy being a part of this community and being a part of threads such as this, once someone becomes a vendor here they do kinda have to give some of that up. I enjoy helping others and being a part of the community in that sense, but then again so do guys like Peter(pdib) and Corey(CC classic), yet there posts are stricken from here and they are not allowed to participate in community discussions freely even though they are not promoting there product here at all really...

it would be awesome to be able to build mods for the community and still be able to be part of the community as well, but rules are rules and I can certainly understand and respect exactly why much of this is necessary, but it just seems that for some reason bottom feeders in particular are one area where becoming a vendor restricts your involvement with the rest of the bottom feeding community especially, and even more so than many other vendors, so becoming a vendor with bottom feeders in particular is even more of a sacrifice as far as community involvement.

no vendors of any kind can participate in the bottom feeding forums at all, so to do it as just a casual type thing probably isn't worth it because you give up too much for too little. it's only worth it if you're really going to get into supplying mods on a serious level and up until now I just love being a part of this community so much, so it's hard to decide to really do it. don't get me wrong, I'm not so much complaining and I think ECF is awesome in that they allow guys like peter and corey to actually run a business on ECF in the first place, again I understand there position and am not complaining at all, just explaining why it's not a casual decision to decide to really get into building mods for others

Such a shame IMO.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
thanks bro, and yeah, things may change on that front for me pretty soon, what really sucks though is that I enjoy being a part of this community and being a part of threads such as this, once someone becomes a vendor here they do kinda have to give some of that up. I enjoy helping others and being a part of the community in that sense, but then again so do guys like Peter(pdib) and Corey(Custom-Classic), yet there posts are stricken from here and they are not allowed to participate in community discussions freely even though they are not promoting there product here at all really...

And in turn the community suffers. People are willing to take their time and share what they are learning to make it easier for everyone else. We get excited about the design breakthroughs, manufacturing techniques, and guiding others in the pursuit of their own creations. This gets stifled out of fear it will turn into folks badmouthing one another to snake a sale. I say at least in this little corner of ECF, let us test the waters a tiny bit and see if folks can be gentlemanly about it. I have little doubt there will be much of a fuss.

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
Forgive me for forgetting the first sentence of your post, it is Sunday evening for me.

I thought it was your own creation and was wondering what tools you had gotten recently.
I wish I was doing my own stuff again, but there has been one almighty hold up on the latest project, and it looks like I will have to buy a mill to complete it. Until then I'm just keeping busy and keeping my ingenuity alive as best I can. funny after the job on the Abaddon clone I still can't get to like the extra weight of the mod, with metal parts and wood compared to a full wood mod, the full wood just feels right, and the metal and wood? not so much.

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico

I'm just at the same place as you on the whole vendor/user thing here and this is what I've thought on the subject.

I would love one I become a forum supplier, talk to all the squonker suppliers and together talk to efc and the community and see a way that we could get 1 single thread for everybody (maybe use this one) so we could still have a talk as hobby modders instead of just vendors...
I don't think it's crazy not impossible
What do you guys think

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
I'm just at the same place as you on the whole vendor/user thing here and this is what I've thought on the subject.

I would love one I become a forum supplier, talk to all the squonker suppliers and together talk to efc and the community and see a way that we could get 1 single thread for everybody (maybe use this one) so we could still have a talk as hobby modders instead of just vendors...
I don't think it's crazy not impossible
What do you guys think

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
It's such a travesty to lose input from members that are skilled and knowledgeable enough to become suppliers, most if not all of the modder's from here who have become suppliers are not shameless sprukers anyhow. There must be a solution, as the current state of play sucks. (that's a minor understatement obviously,but showing my true feelings on the subject would involve much potty language )

So, I wanted to try squonking and had a dna200, so here's my first ever mod and squonker. Not the prettiest but with only hand tools and a drill available I did the best I could. Still not finished, have to make another faceplate and finish the buttons... But been vaping it for a couple days and I can say I'm hooked on squonkin'.
20150906_230208.jpg
20150906_230208.jpg
20150906_230248.jpg
20150906_230308.jpg

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.