Does vaping cause phlegm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
My reasons for vaping the way i do does include feedback from MY doctor...who just so happens to support vaping, but with caution of moderation. I apologize if you took my post wrong, but i just don't see how my post would scare anyone? If someone comes on here and says my doctor says my lungs are in great shape due to vaping, does that mean i believe that vaping poses absolutely no harm to my lungs and that there are no other factors such as over use where vaping could? No, i go and do my own research and talk to my own pulmonary doctor about the "claimed" benefits or "claimed" risk of vaping. Again, i apologize that my post upset you.

Your post didn't upset me in the least. Just sharing information. That's always a good thing....:)

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
YES. It does. And it worsens the longer a person e-smokes. New research, not yet released, is showing phlegm might be the most significant danger of e-smoking. And it results from both PG and VG. No difference.

A film is apparently building in veteran e-smokers' lungs, causing an increased phlegm secretion. I'm experiencing it, as are others in tests lasting longer than a year. It's a serious concern and a nicotine carrier other than PG or VG is being sought.

Any cursory reading of PG's effects will show that it is an irritant. That's proving to be the case when inhaled 300 or more times a day by e-smokers. We were guinea pigs, and now some results are becoming known.
Sources? Are you in some study group ?

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Yes it does cause phlegm. I've been vaping for 4+ years and seriously considering quitting now. I started getting this heaviness in my lungs (almost the same feeling when I was a smoker), especially in the mornings and I've been having some breathing problems and anxiety attacks. It's not easy to quit these too, trust me. I'd like to get a lung scan when I quit just to see the damage.

I'd be curious to know what sort of vapor you are. And if you don't mind, your age when you quit smoking?

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
The phlegm I get is in my throat. It comes from sinus drainage...post nasal drip. I started out about 4 1/2 years ago with high PG. I eventually went to high VG. I don't have a good record or recollection of when it became significant, but it has increased with time. I'm in the process of moving back towards 50/50 and perhaps fine tuning that. I think it is becoming less of a problem as I move towards center, but is still significant.

One test I did was to start one morning with pure PG...no nicotine. ...then VG, no nic. After several minutes with each, I switch to (flavored) regular mix including nicotine. At that point, I began to detect mucus formation in my sinuses. I have not repeated that test, but it suggested to me that nicotine may be the catalyst. However, I wouldn't discount the contribution of the bases, particularly VG.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
One test I did was to start one morning with pure PG...no nicotine. ...then VG, no nic. After several minutes with each, I switch to (flavored) regular mix including nicotine. At that point, I began to detect mucus formation in my sinuses. I have not repeated that test, but it suggested to me that nicotine may be the catalyst. However, I wouldn't discount the contribution of the bases, particularly VG.
so, it could also be the flavorings?

danzac

Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
CA
Glad I'm getting feedback about accumulating phlegm from vaping VG. After I switched to heavier VG use I starting getting congested . I have been vaping for over 4 years. No problems whatsoever. Once I switched to sub ohming and upping my VG mix to 60vg/40pg then to 80vg/20pg sub ohming, that is when the trouble with my lungs starting showing.

Phlegm would pool up in my I lungs I would get this wheezing noise when I lay down to sleep. Soon after I would wake up in the middle of the night and be gasping for air. I had to use an inhaler to open up my lungs. I did not make the connection that it was vaping VG that was the cause until I stopped vaping for 3 days and things got better. I upped my ejuice mix to a higher PG ratio then I tried straight PG. I have come to the conclusion that I can't tolerate vaping VG with lung hits anymore.

Switched back to mouth to lung hits and became a flavor chaser. I toned down my usage pretty much. Stopped sub ohming too. Too scared to go back to chasing clouds and almost choking feeling like I'm drowning in my own phlegm.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Glad I'm getting feedback about accumulating phlegm from vaping VG. After I switched to heavier VG use I starting getting congested . I have been vaping for over 4 years. No problems whatsoever. Once I switched to sub ohming and upping my VG mix to 60vg/40pg then to 80vg/20pg sub ohming, that is when the trouble with my lungs starting showing.

Phlegm would pool up in my I lungs I would get this wheezing noise when I lay down to sleep. Soon after I would wake up in the middle of the night and be gasping for air. I had to use an inhaler to open up my lungs. I did not make the connection that it was vaping VG that was the cause until I stopped vaping for 3 days and things got better. I upped my ejuice mix to a higher PG ratio then I tried straight PG. I have come to the conclusion that I can't tolerate vaping VG with lung hits anymore.

Switched back to mouth to lung hits and became a flavor chaser. I toned down my usage pretty much. Stopped sub ohming too. Too scared to go back to chasing clouds and almost choking feeling like I'm drowning in my own phlegm.

A wise decision. VG has that affect on a lot of people, myself included! :)

Vigilantelove

Jul 12, 2015
I've noticed an irritating effect on my throat with sub homing. I'm not a lung hitter, so I don't wheeze. I kept my airflow pretty constricted for a mouth to lung, and mainly sub ohm vaped for flavor.

I would get a cough, and a tickle in my throat that went away after a half hour or so. I use a high VG as well, generally a 75/25 VG/PG or higher. I was getting a bit of phlegm, no wheeze, and a dry throat cough.

I found that the second I switched back up to 1 ohm or higher, and dialed down the wastage below 20W, this went away. Even with a high VG. flavor is a little muted, but not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: David Wolf
Vaping is not problem free for me. I do have much less phlegm and coughing than when smoking.

I've been vaping for about two years. After the initial lung clearing I've had small amounts of phlegm. Usually a little blob in the back of my throat. Has a faint taste of e-liquid when I cough it up.

I've also noticed some voice problems. When I'm forced to talk loud my voice doesn't hold up as well as it used to. My voice will get hoarse and weak.

I'm vaping 80%PG/20%VG with menthol flavor. I use about 10ml per week.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I began vaping at high PG levels. I had substantial problems with skin dryness.

After a couple of years, I switched to very high VG.

With high VG, my phlegm was much thicker in consistency and interfered with my speech quite a bit. Skin dryness was no longer a problem. I've now moved towards a 50/50 VG/PG mix and have much less vocal problems.

I'll have to say I continue to produce quite a bit of phlegm, but it is more manageable per being less thick. I think most is produced in my sinuses and drains into my throat. An allergist has told me that we produce quite a bit of mucus that is normally just swallowed and goes unnoticed. So far (a month or so), skin dryness hasn't returned. It is not clear to me what causes the phlegm to be produced. ...nicotine 'may' be a factor.

I wonder if another base liquid might someday be found that both skin dryness (dehydration?) problems or thick/any phlegm. I know PEG (400) doesn't do as well on the 'Generally Regarded As Safe' (GRAS) ratings though it has been used by some juice producers. ...any chemical engineers out there?

I don't know, but I've been vaping for about a month and a half and still get phlegm. I've even woke up in the middle of the night with my throat tickled because I had the phlegm buildup. Don't know if it's the cig stuff going away, but I still do smoke about 1-5 analogs a day, so who knows?
Cig stuff never goes away if you take even a puff a day off an analogue. - Just saying. The plegm from cigarettes begins away when the lungs start repairing repairing themselves, even 1 puff paralyzes the cilia.. IF you completely stop phlegm buildup can be from ridding yourself of the cigz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread