aspergers and vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    hahaha. Once in a blue moon I'll be mumbling along to a song I've heard 1000000x and I'll finally catch the meaning of the song. . .

I've never really understood people who place some crazy deep meaning into song lyrics and act like it's the end all and be all of a song. I'm much more into the "feeling" of a song I guess. . . meh. Might be why I've never been super into music like a lot of people. . .

yeah that is exactly how I am....Seems we are the same in these regards.

I don't think it's weird. A lot of people are oblivious to the words. I doubt many are oblivious to the singing, other than the words in it. But that in no way makes it weird.

Maybe you have a hightened appreciation of the more abstract aspects of songs. Then again, maybe you were burned early on by hearing bad lyrics, which are very common, and are not willing to go down that road again, and therefore, just tune out the words, and the singer who's delivering them, altogether.

My usual disclaimer:
    I could be wrong. You may be weird.

I am weird

Reactions: nicnik

amoret

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 2, 2013
    Sharon, ND, USA
    Now, to keep this vaping related so we don't get kicked out to the lounge (though it's nice over there, too, just a little harder for people to find), how many of you have figured out that more than just the nicotine makes vaping a great pastime for us. We get to obsessively collect hardware or liquids or flavors, work out the formulas for making coils or liquid, play with ohms law and generally express our inner geekiness among friends. And like all of the internet (one of the reasons that I love it) we don't have to have regular conversations where we need to try to maintain eye contact and respond quickly without understanding all of the non-verbal clues.

yes Cromwell... it always comes back to that -- everything does and will continue to do so... You are doing fine Cromwell, at least from what I can tell --- when I first found out about all of this junk after living a life assuming that I merely had a simple anxiety disorder, I was not in too good of shape. I was weirded out too put it mildly. I was depressed, bewildered and everything all rolled into one. Then the denial kicked in and suddenly I adopted the "Nope, I couldn't possibly be like that" type of attitude. I have slowly been accepting it though and so I am just rolling with it like I do everything else in life.

Finding out about being an aspie was like a light turned on in a dark storage room. there's the initial "Oh hells yes, I can SEE" and then that "OH, CRAP WHAT IS ALL OF THIS STUFF?@?!?!"

for 35 years, i had no idea normals had this weird eyeball/telepathy communication thing going on, but i knew i was different somehow
    then i found out about this asperger thing, guess i dont get that channel
    could be worse i guess

For me it was the best news I had ever had. To find out, in my 60s, that there was a reason behind some (not all, of course) of my failures in life. I had already adapted as best as I could, but there was never any why about how I was so different. At one point I looked at some journal entries I had made as a teenager, where I was questioning why I couldn't feel emotion and neither could my younger brother, but my older brother could. Now I know of course, that I could feel emotion, just not react to/deal with it in the "normal" way. Obviously, if I couldn't feel emotion I wouldn't have been so miserable.

There's not much to do with the knowledge at this point in life, but just knowing that it's not laziness, or arrogance, or coldness or any of the other negative labels I'd had over the years, but an actual, identifiable, problem that wasn't my fault was like lifting this whole backpack full of rocks of negativity off of my back.

amen sista ... That's why there are so many varied meds for sure. Everyone's body works the same but our chemistry is slightly different.

Exactly, and while they're working on ways to be able to tell which one(s) might be best for a particular person, they aren't there yet. A good psychiatrist (or pcp) can make a pretty good guess, but not perfect.

I'm still amused about how I found my magic combination. I'd been taking sertraline for years, and thought that it was working pretty well. Way better than the tricyclics from back in the dark ages. Then the research about Wellbutrin (buproprion) for quitting smoking came out, but it was still way off label and the insurance companies wouldn't pay for it for any use except depression. Well, hey, I on the record as being depressed, so I asked my psychiatrist and he was fine with writing it up for me.

Well, it didn't help at all for quitting smoking, but for the depression it was like someone had turned the lights on in a room that had had one 40 watt bulb in it before. It didn't make me happy, but it sure helped for feeling a lot more like the officially normal people did. This was in the early 1990s and I and the doctors have fiddled around with the dosages, but the one thing that was really clear is that for me it had to be both of them.

And I don't think that the Asperger's is tied in with the depression, except for making it worse by making life more miserable. I'm totally convinced that clinical depression is a chemical imbalance issue and Asperger's is a functional (probably physical) brain issue, and the tendency to either or both is definitely genetic. And the further the research get's the more it's looking that way.

Last edited:

Atchafalaya

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    Central Texas
    Now, to keep this vaping related so we don't get kicked out to the lounge (though it's nice over there, too, just a little harder for people to find), how many of you have figured out that more than just the nicotine makes vaping a great pastime for us. We get to obsessively collect hardware or liquids or flavors, work out the formulas for making coils or liquid, play with ohms law and generally express our inner geekiness among friends. And like all of the internet (one of the reasons that I love it) we don't have to have regular conversations where we need to try to maintain eye contact and respond quickly without understanding all of the non-verbal clues.

For me it was the best news I had ever had. To find out, in my 60s, that there was a reason behind some (not all, of course) of my failures in life. I had already adapted as best as I could, but there was never any why about how I was so different. At one point I looked at some journal entries I had made as a teenager, where I was questioning why I couldn't feel emotion and neither could my younger brother, but my older brother could. Now I know of course, that I could feel emotion, just not react to/deal with it in the "normal" way. Obviously, if I couldn't feel emotion I wouldn't have been so miserable.

There's not much to do with the knowledge at this point in life, but just knowing that it's not laziness, or arrogance, or coldness or any of the other negative labels I'd had over the years, but an actual, identifiable, problem that wasn't my fault was like lifting this whole backpack full of rocks of negativity off of my back.

Exactly, and while they're working on ways to be able to tell which one(s) might be best for a particular person, they aren't there yet. A good psychiatrist (or pcp) can make a pretty good guess, but not perfect.

I'm still amused about how I found my magic combination. I'd been taking sertraline for years, and thought that it was working pretty well. Way better than the tricyclics from back in the dark ages. Then the research about Wellbutrin (buproprion) came out, but it was still way off label and the insurance companies wouldn't pay for it for any use except depression. Well, hey, I on the record as being depressed, so I asked my psychiatrist and he was fine with writing it up for me.

Well, it didn't help at all for quitting smoking, but for the depression it was like someone had turned the lights on in a room that had had one 40 watt bulb in it before. It didn't make me happy, but it sure helped for feeling a lot more like the officially normal people did. This was in the early 1990s and I and the doctors have fiddled around with the dosages, but the one thing that was really clear is that for me it had to be both of them.

And I don't think that the Asperger's is tied in with the depression, except for making it worse by making life more miserable. I'm totally convinced that clinical depression is a chemical imbalance issue and Asperger's is a functional (probably physical) brain issue, and the tendency to either or both is definitely genetic. And the further the research get's the more it's looking that way.[/QUOTE

I'm not sure either. Nothing helped with quitting smoking, except for having to use Advair every morning and night, and sleeping with a cough drop in my mouth. And my aunt pleading with me to quit because I could hardly talk anymore. Vaping helped. And nic gum

Atchafalaya

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    Central Texas
    omg! this is the part I wrote.
    Silly me!
    I'm not sure either. Nothing helped with quitting smoking, except for having to use Advair every morning and night, and sleeping with a cough drop in my mouth. And my aunt pleading with me to quit because I could hardly talk anymore. Vaping helped. And nic gum

Atchafalaya

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    Central Texas
    I don't think that I know the lyrics to any song. I know parts but not all the lyrics to any song.
    I guess I need to change my mood from lonely to chatty. Or sleepy. Do they have a Dopey? Lyrics are easy to me (of course they may not be correct--or in English)

theddead

running with scissors since 1970
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    That's spot on.
    From what I know aspies tend to be blunt.
    And take things very personally.
    I think my personal anxiety comes from 40+years of rejection, fear of rejection, forced compliance, forced socialization. ...
    Sort of, "well, you are smart and look normal, go and be normal! "
    I was 42 before we learned I have dyscalclia (number dyslexia) so no, I don't like math.
    Love to read, hate being asked to read or write.
    Very oppositional, these are all aspie symptoms yet people still feel the need to convince me I'm "normal".
    Diagnosis will continue to change, evolve, broaden dependant on medical greed (no insult intended) and (seemingly) society's whims. (Whatever is colloquial is truth)
    Gawd I gotta try that Cinnamon Danish swirl one of these days. Cinnamon's are my favorites.

Last edited:

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Howdy all. I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm only up to about page 8. Hard to keep up.
    Many years ago I read a book called "Son Rise" about a boy with severe non-functioning autism and his parents who had a particular unconventional approach. The philosophy with which they interacted with their son eventually changed my life to a huge degree. Today, that boy is an adult with a very high IQ and is the Director of the Son Rise Autism program at the Option Institute in Sheffield, MA The author is Barry Neil Kaufman. If there is any interest, check out Autism Treatment Center of America - Option Institute
    The book is still available through option.org or used on any online BN.com kinda site.
    The story is amazing and inspiring.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Howdy all. I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm only up to about page 8. Hard to keep up.
    Many years ago I read a book called "Son Rise" about a boy with severe non-functioning autism and his parents who had a particular unconventional approach. The philosophy with which they interacted with their son eventually changed my life to a huge degree. Today, that boy is an adult with a very high IQ and is the Director of the Son Rise Autism program at the Option Institute in Sheffield, MA The author is Barry Neil Kaufman. If there is any interest, check out Autism Treatment Center of America - Option Institute
    The book is still available through option.org or used on any online BN.com kinda site.
    The story is amazing and inspiring.

Thanks for the link brother, I will indeed check it out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread