First Time Making Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Younghorsejr

Jul 21, 2015
So I've been using the eleaf iJust2 and I've really enjoyed it but I've been wanting to get into using the RDAs rather than the tank. I like the idea of rebuilding my own coils and I know it saves alot more rather than constantly buying the stock coil heads. And My tank just cracked so I found it the perfect time to get an rda and build my own coils. I love the ijust2 battery so I was going to stick with that and just get the rda to add to it. I found a good deal online for a clone of the doge v4 rda and I wanted to get an idea of what kanthal wire I should get? What gauge? Also am I doing something wrong? Lol I'm farely new to vaping and I know when dealing with sub ohm vaping it's important to understand the science of it so I'm just trying to get an idea of how I'm supposed to go about it. Thank u!!

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
depends. 28 or 26 Gauge is a good starting point I find

I personally prefer 24g now tho.

Im going to try steel soon.

you need to understand about batteries. Get good ones, and get a good charger.

and then you need to know about discharge rating

basically, Read (18) Baditude's Blogs | E-Cigarette Forum
almost all of them from 9 onwards.
He is like... A battery genius.
that will set you up good and fine

plus make sure you have an ohm meter!!!!!

and happy vaping. RDAs are much easier. change flavor, just pop out the wick and rewick.
need new coils? no worries, just make more. Way better than buying .... and you can customize your vape!

HighPlainsPuffer

Jul 9, 2015
in flux
Just as said above! I'd suggest 26, 28, and some 30 to play with for a while. Eventually you'll end up picking up some 24 and 32.

You'll need something to roll your coils with, I just use a set of screwdrivers, but there are jigs and coiling setups that can really help out

For wicking, most folks use either cotton or rayon, I like the organic cotton balls for rdas, and ko gen do in my rtas.

I like the ceramic tipped tweezers for working with the coils.

Younghorsejr

Jul 21, 2015
Ok awesome thanks for the feedback! So I currently have the Ijust2 2600 mah battery which is for sub ohm vaping(says it can fire .3 ohm coils) but would you say that I should look into getting a different one? Also I have kind of a tight budget so I'm trying to work with what I got. I currently just bought the doge v4 clone rda, I have the ijust 2 battery, Im going to buy the 28g kanthal wire, and I have some organic cotton. If that works then I am happy with that lol but if I'm missing something or if one of those parts do not work with the others than I can buy something else. Thanks again!

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
Ah regulated mod, internal battery ya? Then you should be good!
they are fairly protected.
That should be fine
thought you were working with external batteries.

It has an ohm meter too right?

youll want another RDA as well. Good to have a backup. I have like.,.... 20....haha

Pick up another clone of something different, see if you like it more
I have ones for Clouds, ones for flavor... etc. ones that I hate.... most of them I hate haha

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So I've been using the eleaf iJust2 and I've really enjoyed it but I've been wanting to get into using the RDAs rather than the tank. I like the idea of rebuilding my own coils and I know it saves alot more rather than constantly buying the stock coil heads. And My tank just cracked so I found it the perfect time to get an rda and build my own coils. I love the ijust2 battery so I was going to stick with that and just get the rda to add to it. I found a good deal online for a clone of the doge v4 rda and I wanted to get an idea of what kanthal wire I should get? What gauge? Also am I doing something wrong? Lol I'm farely new to vaping and I know when dealing with sub ohm vaping it's important to understand the science of it so I'm just trying to get an idea of how I'm supposed to go about it. Thank u!!

If you are New to Building Coils. I highly suggest checking out this Site...

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

You can Plug in Numbers and Gauges and do "What If's".

Aceman12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
Houston
i just googled your battery. I hate to be "that guy" but I'd say get a new device before trying to rebuild. It's not regulated and the battery isn't removable. but if you still want to run it you need:

1. An ohm reader (essential)
2. I like 26 gauge kanthal
3. Japanese organic cotton
4. Tweezers (ceramic preferred)
5. wire cutters (toenail clippers)
6. Little screwdriver set
7. Scissors

If you want a new device:
1. Everything above
2. 2-3 Sony vtc4 30 amp 18650 batteries (a few others work too but they aren't any cheaper and those are probably the most proven)
3. Xtar wp2 battery charger
4. 18650 mech tube mod (They are all pretty much the same except for cosmetics). or a regulated device

Sorry for the $200 bill lol

Younghorsejr

Jul 21, 2015
I totally get what your saying and I appreciate the feedback but all I'm wondering is whether that setup will work? I definitely know that it can be alot better but atm I'm just trying to work with what I have because I don't have that much money to spend on vaping right now. But in the future I absolutely plan to expand and get a better device and I will look into those options you listed!

Aceman12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
Houston
I hear you lol. I'm being the guy that tries to sell you a tv when you came in for a dvd. Your current set up will work for sure. My first group of suggestions will work and run about $50. That thing says It fires down to .3 ohms. what that means is it might go thurmal if you build lower then that because it WILL fire.

That said welcome to the world of rebuilding. It's much more satisfying. Better flavor/ clouds. Knowing you created it makes you feel like a rugged individual too. Just be safe and don't blow your teeth out. Your ugly enough already.

Younghorsejr

Jul 21, 2015
I hear you lol. I'm being the guy that tries to sell you a tv when you came in for a dvd. Your current set up will work for sure. My first group of suggestions will work and run about $50. That thing says It fires down to .3 ohms. what that means is it might go thurmal if you build lower then that because it WILL fire.

That said welcome to the world of rebuilding. It's much more satisfying. Better flavor/ clouds. Knowing you created it makes you feel like a rugged individual too. Just be safe and don't blow your teeth out. Your ugly enough already.
Haha ya I completely that and I did buy all of those first items. Now when you say if it goes below .3 ohms it will go thurmal thats bad right? Lol like I should never let it go lower than .3? And thanks man glad to be apart of the community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread