200W Asolo TC Box Mod by Heaven Gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedeval

Aug 18, 2015
Foggy Hills
I really enjoyed my Delta II for the flavor, was a bit noisy..:) I thought the same as you about bein less likely to crack (can hardly see the juice through the narrow slits) but mine shattered the first time it fell out of my pocket. What I'd like to know specifically is what kind of hit it delivers with stock kanthal coils in "TC". Is it about the same as VV/VW mode? Does it taper off after a couple of seconds? Will it go in to "DHP" if you hit it the atty for several pulls in a row? Things like that..:)

I get the same volume/qulity of cloud with my Istick 50 as with the Asolo... the difference is... when in DHP (as we are coining it here...lol), I can feel the temp fluctuating on and off and back on... off... on... etc... in a long hit. Where as on the Istick, I would have started to feel very hot vapor at the end, and maybe even start to taste the burn a little.... What I have found is that on the Istick, I can back off the Power a little and take a long hit to stop that from happening... But on this Asolo... I can keep the Power up, and have less of a chance of overheating the coil... etc.... yes it does work in "DHP" on my tank/coil/build/settings, at least for me... yes it cuts off when the tank is out or low on juice... (still don't know how they do that... lol) Does it get touchy about the build? maybe a little? but it does work and work fairly good for what I do/want... 8) Can I chain vape on it... yes.. to an extent... if I am not at the high side of 27W's.(20-25ish).. then I can pull 5 or 6 good hits (maybe 4 to 7 secs) before it trips the low juice LED.... if I am pushing the high side of 27Ws (30-35ish)... then it trips at maybe 3 or so "chain hits" ..... To me, that is actually proof that it is working... cause I would think that is really more of a limitation of the tank/wicking of juice... ??? If I am boiling the juice out faster than I can put it in ... then yeah... I want it to trip... right?

Is it perfect?? no... prob not... 8(
But I have seen a guy post that he was vaping at some crazy number like 160Watts all day long and had no dry hits...
Do I believe him..... NOOOOOOOO !!!!
But that does not mean that I am at the limit of the Mod either...

All in all... I think it is a very good mod... it may not be a flame thrower that is cool to the touch... but it does seem to be limiting the burn as good as can be expected...maybe even better if you get your set up right?

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
I get the same volume/qulity of cloud with my Istick 50 as with the Asolo... the difference is... when in DHP (as we are coining it here...lol), I can feel the temp fluctuating on and off and back on... off... on... etc... in a long hit. Where as on the Istick, I would have started to feel very hot vapor at the end, and maybe even start to taste the burn a little.... What I have found is that on the Istick, I can back off the Power a little and take a long hit to stop that from happening... But on this Asolo... I can keep the Power up, and have less of a chance of overheating the coil... etc.... yes it does work in "DHP" on my tank/coil/build/settings, at least for me... yes it cuts off when the tank is out or low on juice... (still don't know how they do that... lol) Does it get touchy about the build? maybe a little? but it does work and work fairly good for what I do/want... 8) Can I chain vape on it... yes.. to an extent... if I am not at the high side of 27W's.(20-25ish).. then I can pull 5 or 6 good hits (maybe 4 to 7 secs) before it trips the low juice LED.... if I am pushing the high side of 27Ws (30-35ish)... then it trips at maybe 3 or so "chain hits" ..... To me, that is actually proof that it is working... cause I would think that is really more of a limitation of the tank/wicking of juice... ??? If I am boiling the juice out faster than I can put it in ... then yeah... I want it to trip... right?

Is it perfect?? no... prob not... 8(
But I have seen a guy post that he was vaping at some crazy number like 160Watts all day long and had no dry hits...
Do I believe him..... NOOOOOOOO !!!!
But that does not mean that I am at the limit of the Mod either...

All in all... I think it is a very good mod... it may not be a flame thrower that is cool to the touch... but it does seem to be limiting the burn as good as can be expected...maybe even better if you get your set up right?
Thanks. That gives me some idea of how it performs. Going into DHP when chain vaping was what I expected. Also with higher settings causing it to go into DHP quicker shows that it's working. I'd like to see that on an O-scope. I hate to keep askin questions but how long can you pull before you start "feeling" the temp fluctuating? Can you tell whether it is varying the power or just cutting off and on? Is it a consistent vape or does it get a warm cooler warm cooler vape to it as you said you could "feel" it? I guess I need to buy one, huh?:)

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Thanks. That gives me some idea of how it performs. Going into DHP when chain vaping was what I expected. Also with higher settings causing it to go into DHP quicker shows that it's working. I'd like to see that on an O-scope. I hate to keep askin questions but how long can you pull before you start "feeling" the temp fluctuating? Can you tell whether it is varying the power or just cutting off and on? Is it a consistent vape or does it get a warm cooler warm cooler vape to it as you said you could "feel" it? I guess I need to buy one, huh?:)
Vape is consistent, no on/off hot/cool like an over aggressive TC mod. You can draw as long as you wish. Stays nice and consistent, until wick starts to dry up. It regulates on kanthal much like the evic does on Ni.

Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Interesting, I'm really surprised by this being kanthal resistance changes so very little.
Which is probably why certain tanks didn't work so well....any resistance fluctuation causes havoc [emoji14]

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
It's the first of its kind.....remember, the dna40 was pricey when it first hit the market. I'm sure it will drop price, specially once either iJoy releases another newer version, or another company follows suite.

The pre made coils that came with the tfv4 are both too low of resistance for the kanthal TC mode, so they are still in the box...I'm using the RBA head. I'll probably end up with another of these tanks to run on my variant, then those coils will get some use [emoji14]

thedeval

Aug 18, 2015
Foggy Hills
Ok... guessing here.. .but I think I have a very good idea as to how this Asolo is doing the DHP on Kanthal...

as for the issue of very small resistance change on the wire as it goes over temp... I would imagine that they have some sort of voltage op amp in play to magnify the very small voltage to a lager one, in which, the change of that new "bigger" voltage will also be magnified and as such, much easier to read/measure.

not saying this is the circuit.. but this is a basic op amp layout....

noninverting_op_amp.gif

Not sure you will recall, but I said "think out side of the box" on this one... and that is what I think they are doing in fact....

I have been trying to get my head around how they know the tank is low on juice... Well, I think I got it... they are measuring a sign wave/ signal some how in relation how it is "attenuated" by the actual juice. Also known as "capacitance". Think of it like this... If I put in a square wave of X onto a wire sitting in the air (no cotton/juice), then the only effect on the square wave is the wire... but if I take that coil/wire and cover it in a fluid like Oil that has a very big effect of Freq and Amplitude, then even though the sin wave is the same going in and it is still being pushed through the same wire, the output, or what makes it to the other side of the wire, is going to be drastically effected... not just in size, but shape of it as well.. just like if I put a capacitor in parallel with the inductor/wire.

anyway... was playing with this idea for a day or two... and guess what I found... ?? A single chip that cost about 5 $'s and basiclly does the whole measurement for you... ie... no need for a circuit to do this at all... It produces the sine, and measures it, and even puts out a digital number to reflect what is happening... ie.. gives you something you could use on a TTL shut down circuit... or "GO-NOGO" type safe guard... which.. my guess might look like a little blinking water drop LED and a kill circuit to keep me from firing again... until enough juice makes it way back over the coil to change the shape of the sine wave back to a shape that is considered good.. which would then reset the TTL... and close the loop for me to fire the atty again...

below is just a clip of the chip I found.. there may be more.. made by other companies.. with little different configurations... ??? (would guess so)

The new AD5933/AD5934 impedance-to-digital converters (IDC) put direct digital synthesis (DDS), analog-to-digital conversion, and DSP on a single chip. The IDC measures impedances ranging from 100 ohms to 10 megohms, excited with an on-chip frequency generator of up to 100 kHz. The response signal from the impedance is sampled by the on-chip ADC and its discrete Fourier transform (DFT) is processed by an on-chip DSP. The DFT algorithm returns both a real (R) and imaginary (I) data word at each frequency point (for a sweep), enabling phase and amplitude impedance calculations based on an initial calibration. The AD5933/AD5934 are available in small 16-lead SSOP packages at 1k unit pricing of $4.35 (AD5934) and $6.65 (AD5933). For additional product information, go to www.analog.com/CDC andwww.analog.com/IDC.

img22.jpg

The point is... giving the right time, support... I absolutely can see a way to pull this off... It may not be the best way... But then again, I am not an engineer and I don't build e-cigs for a living either... I have to believe that a professional could actually pull this off fairly easy?

AT LEAST... THAT IS MY GUESS... HAHAHA

thedeval

Aug 18, 2015
Foggy Hills
I never thought about liquid actually being an element of the method of cutoff, other than cooling the coil and lowering the ohms. What you describe used in conjunction with TC could make for one advanced device without substantial cost addition.

It is just a guess here, but I think it is a fairly good guess as to what Asolo or Ijoy (???) is actually doing in this box.... or at least along these lines...

Reactions: Bikenstein

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
Ok... guessing here.. .but I think I have a very good idea as to how this Asolo is doing the DHP on Kanthal...

as for the issue of very small resistance change on the wire as it goes over temp... I would imagine that they have some sort of voltage op amp in play to magnify the very small voltage to a lager one, in which, the change of that new "bigger" voltage will also be magnified and as such, much easier to read/measure.

not saying this is the circuit.. but this is a basic op amp layout....

noninverting_op_amp.gif

Not sure you will recall, but I said "think out side of the box" on this one... and that is what I think they are doing in fact....

I have been trying to get my head around how they know the tank is low on juice... Well, I think I got it... they are measuring a sign wave/ signal some how in relation how it is "attenuated" by the actual juice. Also known as "capacitance". Think of it like this... If I put in a square wave of X onto a wire sitting in the air (no cotton/juice), then the only effect on the square wave is the wire... but if I take that coil/wire and cover it in a fluid like Oil that has a very big effect of Freq and Amplitude, then even though the sin wave is the same going in and it is still being pushed through the same wire, the output, or what makes it to the other side of the wire, is going to be drastically effected... not just in size, but shape of it as well.. just like if I put a capacitor in parallel with the inductor/wire.

anyway... was playing with this idea for a day or two... and guess what I found... ?? A single chip that cost about 5 $'s and basiclly does the whole measurement for you... ie... no need for a circuit to do this at all... It produces the sine, and measures it, and even puts out a digital number to reflect what is happening... ie.. gives you something you could use on a TTL shut down circuit... or "GO-NOGO" type safe guard... which.. my guess might look like a little blinking water drop LED and a kill circuit to keep me from firing again... until enough juice makes it way back over the coil to change the shape of the sine wave back to a shape that is considered good.. which would then reset the TTL... and close the loop for me to fire the atty again...

below is just a clip of the chip I found.. there may be more.. made by other companies.. with little different configurations... ??? (would guess so)

The new AD5933/AD5934 impedance-to-digital converters (IDC) put direct digital synthesis (DDS), analog-to-digital conversion, and DSP on a single chip. The IDC measures impedances ranging from 100 ohms to 10 megohms, excited with an on-chip frequency generator of up to 100 kHz. The response signal from the impedance is sampled by the on-chip ADC and its discrete Fourier transform (DFT) is processed by an on-chip DSP. The DFT algorithm returns both a real (R) and imaginary (I) data word at each frequency point (for a sweep), enabling phase and amplitude impedance calculations based on an initial calibration. The AD5933/AD5934 are available in small 16-lead SSOP packages at 1k unit pricing of $4.35 (AD5934) and $6.65 (AD5933). For additional product information, go to www.analog.com/CDC andwww.analog.com/IDC.

img22.jpg

The point is... giving the right time, support... I absolutely can see a way to pull this off... It may not be the best way... But then again, I am not an engineer and I don't build e-cigs for a living either... I have to believe that a professional could actually pull this off fairly easy?

AT LEAST... THAT IS MY GUESS... HAHAHA
Interesting. I remember you saying "think outside the box" and at that time I was thinking they would have to use an amplifier to make such a small signal change work. After amplifying it would be very sensitive to any change of resistance caused by looseness, gunked coils, etc. as the unit appears to be. I think you're right. I sure would like to see it ran on a scope.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
Vape is consistent, no on/off hot/cool like an over aggressive TC mod. You can draw as long as you wish. Stays nice and consistent, until wick starts to dry up. It regulates on kanthal much like the evic does on Ni.

If it regulates on kanthal like the Evic does with nickel, then that's sayin a lot! The Evic to me is comparable to the rDNA40. If you mean aggressive, like the PWM Yihi chip, I prefer the Yihi 350j. I was curious about Bloke feeling the on and off power during a hit. Didn't sound so consistent to me. It sounds like a smooth performing KTC mod now (kanthal taste control) versus a flawed concept :).Thanks for the reply. Lookin forward to more when you guys get time.

Reactions: cooladdict

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
If it regulates on kanthal like the Evic does with nickel, then that's sayin a lot! The Evic to me is comparable to the rDNA40. If you mean aggressive, like the PWM Yihi chip, I prefer the Yihi 350j. I was curious about Bloke feeling the on and off power during a hit. Didn't sound so consistent to me. It sounds like a smooth performing KTC mod now (kanthal taste control) versus a flawed concept :).Thanks for the reply. Lookin forward to more when you guys get time.
Yes, by that statement, I meant that the output is smooth. No fluctuations. Again, training really is key (they mention this in the manual, though iJoy should really hire a writer/translator better versed in english [emoji14]). Good training hasn't made it be accurate on dual coils yet, or in my sub tanks, but if it seems off on my other toppers, going back and retraining makes it right.

As to the sine wave thing, I did suggest early on that they were perhaps sending a secondary signal through the coil that reacts to the juice/temperature, so that fits, and would explain why DHP and taste control works, but why you can't just set a temp.

thedeval

Aug 18, 2015
Foggy Hills
my guess is that if you set a temp... then you would be "re-acting" to the lack of juice after it starts to burn... where as using the juice to "control" a sine/pulse?? you are being a little more "pro-active"... or at least maybe re-acting sooner???

again... just guessing... ????????......?????..... ***ouch.. my head hurts... ouch***

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
my guess is that if you set a temp... then you would be "re-acting" to the lack of juice after it starts to burn... where as using the juice to "control" a sine/pulse?? you are being a little more "pro-active"... or at least maybe re-acting sooner???

again... just guessing... ????????......?????..... ***ouch.. my head hurts... ouch***
After much testing, I know for a fact that reactive regulation IS happening. It's much easier to see on a tank with a more restrictive draw like the kayfun. As you draw, you can watch the wattage climb then level out, then if you continue to fire without drawing the power drops down to almost nothing, start drawing again, it climbs back up.

thedeval

Aug 18, 2015
Foggy Hills
I am sure that it is "re-acting" or live adjustments being done... ie, not a set curve/protocol/table that is just being followed blindly..

My thinking is that two things (sensing Technics) are in play... one for Res... and one for the Juice....

but.. then again.. .I could be on crack... ahhahahaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread