Status
Not open for further replies.

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
Ohh I am going to try that!!

I typically like a thicker type cut of steak but I have a really good Cuban steak recipe where you use thinner cuts.
It is called Palamillo

Top sirlion 1/2 inch thck or less.
marinade in Fresh crushed garlic, salt, thinly sliced onion , 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil , 1/2 cup sour orange juice
(if you cannot find sour orange juice then use 1/4 cup of regular orange juice and 1/4 cup of lemon juice)
Quickly grill or pan grill in a cast iron skillet.
Top with chopped onion, parsley and lime juice

I like to serve this with black beans and rice rather than my typical potatoes etc.

This sounds so yummy. Thanks for the share. I am going to do this one soon. My husband (Jeremy) is not an onion guy but I could leave the chopped onions off the top of his and he would be good. He doesn't mind cooking with onions or if they are chopped so small he doesn't see them but raw onion is a big no no for him. I bet the black beans and rice go wonderfully with this. I can also see a lime cilantro rice or just plain ole salt potatoes too. Yummmm.

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
Good morning folks! And thanks to all of you for the food posts, now I'm hungry!!
A good food post almost always makes me happy and hungry. I am so addicted to food. I love everything about it. The history and culture, the science, the smells, and of course the taste of a masterfully crafted meal. I can no longer work in the field (destroyed both hands cooking) but I still love to feed my family/friends. If I had the money to travel it would be based on food. Yup, that's how much I like food.

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
My summer with my "Littles" is almost up. I made it through. Boy of boy. I gotta say this racing after two children and keeping them having fun and busy is a lot more challenging in the Grammy years then it was in the Mommy years. I am a pretty active person too, but my goodness there is nothing like chasing a 1 1/2 year old around keeping him safe. I have been wearing a fitbit as of late and on average I walk between 15k and 20k steps a day. Right about 7to 10 miles. This will be my last Friday with them both here with me all day :(. I will still have my Jakoby (the 1 1/2 yr old) on Mondays but Lily will be in Kindergarten full time so I thinks I will be sad for me and glad for her. My daughter, Nicole, wants Jakoby to go to a play group a few days a week to interact with other kids his age so same with him. We all live in the same home so it is not like I won't see them but it will still take getting used to. I am gonna miss my babies during the day. What ever will I do with all my time? :banana::cry: Mixed emotions!

wvloony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2015
I know the feeling sotra, we home schooled our three kids since the youngest finished kindergarten, he decided this year that since his sister's both have graduated, and all his friends moved away, he wanted to go back to school, so we put him back in public school, it feels weird still watching him leave to go catch the bus.

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
It's good for them to go be with other peers. We worry about influence and of course that they are being properly educated but I think they all need to learn to make their own ways in the world. It's always harder on the one that is saying goodbye, even if you know they will return before the supper hour. My Nicole is Deaf so she started school at 2 yrs of age 22 years ago. That was a toughie for me. For her, she was all smiles and happy to go be with friends that she could sign with and be silly. For me, I was worried because she was out of my reach. I worried if that much away from home time would hurt her but I think it actually made her stronger and very independent. It's kind of funny because I am really the person that feels that children benefit from being with family (if at all possible) as long as they can versus the daycare setting, but these are my Grands so although I have a say I still have to respect my daughter, Nicole's and their Daddy, Jay's, wishes. They want Jakoby to be with other kids and I totally get that. I will still have my time with him so I guess it is good all around. I am just being a bit selfish right now. He is my cuddle guy and I will miss our time together, but also look forward to seeing him at the end of the day to hear about the things he learned. And my Lily....I delivered her so we have a ultra special bond. She is more timid so the first few weeks of kindergarten will be hard on us both. As Grammy I am going to have to muster all my courage so that she feels safe and knows she is going to do something fun. Hopefully I can keep a good smile on my face as she gets on the bus. If she had her way she would be with Grammy all the time. :w00t:

wvloony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2015
Now I am curious, are the grandkids deaf, or not. I ask because growing up, my mother was a house mom at the state blind school here in wv, so I am familiar with it, the deaf and blind schools are on the same campus here. I have known quite a few deaf individuals in my life, but sadly I never learned American sign language.

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
Now I am curious, are the grandkids deaf, or not. I ask because growing up, my mother was a house mom at the state blind school here in wv, so I am familiar with it, the deaf and blind schools are on the same campus here. I have known quite a few deaf individuals in my life, but sadly I never learned American sign language.

So far so good with the Grands. The hearing loss runs in my family in different degrees. It is all bilateral (both ears), sensorneural (the cochlear) and progressive. My mother, my sister (born with a substantial loss), my brother, and myself have all been effected to various degrees, leaving only my younger sister who has excellent hearing. I have a severe/profound loss now at my age. Now my sister (with the loss) has two adult sons that are both hearing impaired (just so you know this description is no exactly PC but it never bothered me). This sister was implanted with a cochlear implant 15 years ago and does quite well today. My borther has two adult girls that have no loss currently. My younger sister with no loss, has six adult children of which none have loss. My daughter Nicole was born with a moderate/severe loss that progressed very quickly to a severe profound loss so I consider her Deaf since ASL was her primary language from the get go even though she was not technically profound at birth. She wore aids until she was about 8 and then her hearing took a couple of more dives and that is when we decided that a cochlear was the best solution for her. Nicole was raised being total communicant. She signs, but we placed a lot of emphases on speech so she speaks very well, she also reads lips and body clues to help her to understand what is going on around her. If you met her you would have no clue that she is Deaf. I learned to sign but as odd as this would seem Nicole always hated it when I did so I mixed it up. Her Dad (My Jeremy) never knew more then the basics of signing. She signed and had an interpreter through much of her mainstreamed public school life. We were very fortunate to live in an area (actually we moved to it for this reason) that had a wonderful Deaf department in their public school. My grands at this point have no hearing loss that is detectable. That is not to say they will not. I did not start to progress until I was about 11. We will see. Being Deaf or any degree of hearing loss makes life a bit harder (people do not always understand a disability they cannot see) but there are far worse things that people have to deal with so if my "Littles" do end up with a loss they will have a full support system about them. I no longer sign so I have lost much of what I had learned. Nicole got her degree in Deaf Studies/Interpretation before she went on to get her Dental Assistant degree so she still is fluent in ASL. Her CI (cochlear) allows her to function as a person with a mild loss as long as she has it on. Of course she doesn't wear it to sleep so we still have vibrating alarms and flashing lights to alert her for the kids and other emergencies. Oh boy I went on and on. I hope I made sense.

wvloony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2015
So far so good with the Grands. The hearing loss runs in my family in different degrees. It is all bilateral (both ears), sensorneural (the cochlear) and progressive. My mother, my sister (born with a substantial loss), my brother, and myself have all been effected to various degrees, leaving only my younger sister who has excellent hearing. I have a severe/profound loss now at my age. Now my sister (with the loss) has two adult sons that are both hearing impaired (just so you know this description is no exactly PC but it never bothered me). This sister was implanted with a cochlear implant 15 years ago and does quite well today. My borther has two adult girls that have no loss currently. My younger sister with no loss, has six adult children of which none have loss. My daughter Nicole was born with a moderate/severe loss that progressed very quickly to a severe profound loss so I consider her Deaf since ASL was her primary language from the get go even though she was not technically profound at birth. She wore aids until she was about 8 and then her hearing took a couple of more dives and that is when we decided that a cochlear was the best solution for her. Nicole was raised being total communicant. She signs, but we placed a lot of emphases on speech so she speaks very well, she also reads lips and body clues to help her to understand what is going on around her. If you met her you would have no clue that she is Deaf. I learned to sign but as odd as this would seem Nicole always hated it when I did so I mixed it up. Her Dad (My Jeremy) never knew more then the basics of signing. She signed and had an interpreter through much of her mainstreamed public school life. We were very fortunate to live in an area (actually we moved to it for this reason) that had a wonderful Deaf department in their public school. My grands at this point have no hearing loss that is detectable. That is not to say they will not. I did not start to progress until I was about 11. We will see. Being Deaf or any degree of hearing loss makes life a bit harder (people do not always understand a disability they cannot see) but there are far worse things that people have to deal with so if my "Littles" do end up with a loss they will have a full support system about them. I no longer sign so I have lost much of what I had learned. Nicole got her degree in Deaf Studies/Interpretation before she went on to get her Dental Assistant degree so she still is fluent in ASL. Her CI (cochlear) allows her to function as a person with a mild loss as long as she has it on. Of course she doesn't wear it to sleep so we still have vibrating alarms and flashing lights to alert her for the kids and other emergencies. Oh boy I went on and on. I hope I made sense.
Complete, and dont sweat the rambling, it is understandable when trying to explain a specific situation. You want to make sure you explain it properly, and sometimes in doing so, we tend to ramble, its human nature. Well its time I try and sleep, catch yall later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread