CEH files shakedown lawsuits in CA against 24 large e-cig companies alleging high carcinogen levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebug6737

Verified Member
Sep 14, 2014
Delta, CO, USA
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Cleaning up / collateral damage.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
As a reminder to all, the posting of emails is not permitted unless you have permission from all parties in the email conversation.

Forum Rules | E-Cigarette Forum

12. Communications considered private
Posting the content of PMs or personal emails on the forum is not allowed. All PMs and emails are deemed to be confidential and cannot be made public except with the prior written consent of the author.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
The nanny nazis' whole premise is just WRONG flat out. Ecigarettes (I prefer the more factual term vaporizers) are totally different from conventional cigarettes. There is zero combustion, & zero tobacco, am I right? It's simply vapor & nicotine (unless you are vaping 0mg nicotine). The basic fact is that the health nazis can't equate the two at all because there is NO tobacco in ecigs. I can understand why the naysayers are trying so hard to link ecigs to regular cigarettes because it evokes negative imagry. vaping does not involve tobacco, therefore it does not involve tobacco smoke. Period. The only similarity is that nicotine (unless you vape 0mg) is inhaled. Nicotine has been proven by itself to be essentially harmless, correct? I mean I guess there are some really weird sensitive people who for whatever reason couldn't tolerate nicotine or caffeine for that matter. But you simply cannot equate smoking tobacco with vaping. The facts don't support that at all. However they are cleverly trying extremely hard to lump ecigs in with all other tobacco products because once they do that in the public consciousness, they think the battle will have been won. That's a step that cannot be allowed to succeed! I have been a longtime smoker & have failed at quitting but now that I am vaping I have not had a cigarette in 3 days for the first time in over 15 years!

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
From the CA govt's own Office of Environment Health Hazard Assessment fact sheet on Prop 65. Many funny statements in here. Worth re-reading multiple times.

Is my family’s health at risk from exposure to these chemicals?
Warnings must be provided for chemicals listed under Proposition 65 if exposure to them may present a significant risk of cancer or reproductive harm. For carcinogens, the chemical must be present at or above a level that could cause one additional case of cancer in a population of 100,000 people exposed to the chemical over a lifetime. For reproductive toxicants, the chemical must be present at or above 1/1000th of the level at which the chemical is determined to have no negative health risks (the “no-observable-effect level”).

Proposition 65 generally does not prohibit a business from exposing people to listed chemicals nor does exposure to these chemicals necessarily create an immediate health risk. Also, as stated above, a warning may have been provided in some cases even though the level at which the chemical is present is actually too low to pose a significant health risk. It is important to find out why you have received the warning so that you can discover which chemicals you are exposed to, and at what levels, to determine how best to protect your family’s health.

OEHHA Proposition 65 Fact Sheet for Tenants

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
This is a different study but the parameters of time for smoking machines are more or less standard.

http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/12/8/9141/pdf
Puff duration was 3 s, puff volume 40 mL and inter-puff smoldering-interval 27 s.
Thanks for that. CEH is sneaky with their words, sentences and intentions. I'd like to see them say what parameters they used, either in email or elswhere. I might not be asking the best questions, though.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
It appears their tests on vapor products were conducted by inaccurate and unreliable smoking/vaping machines, which e-cig company lawyers should challenge.

IMHO, those *inaccurate* tests shouldn't have gone unchallenged to begin with.

So now, in the course of defending against a lawsuit, this gives the ecig industry an OPPORTUNITY to show that ecigs do not, after all, generate high levels of formaldehyde and aldehydes, right?

If anything, a positive outcome of tests, that are PROPERLY conducted, seems like it would clear up a lot of questions, as well as stop accusations from being slung around.

I know if somebody were making accusations about my person, or a product I sold, I would be QUICKLY embarking on showing evidence to the contrary.

So, not sure why this is bad if it has a good outcome?

OTOH, if it has a bad outcome, then it gives the ecig industry something to improve and fix. Again, not sure how this is bad for vapers?

Reactions: skoony

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
The scientific credentials of this group are truly impressive. I think we should all just shut up and bow to their superior expertise. For example:

Member #2: Before coming to the organization, he spent twelve years helping attorneys unearth and decipher the facts necessary to defend people facing the death penalty. [Despite his efforts, they were all executed anyway, so he's turned his attention to e-cigarettes].

Member #3: Prior to her work at CEH, from 2001 to 2006, Ansje founded and directed the Environmental Justice and Climate Change Initiative, a coalition that brought together the nation’s leading environmental justice, faith-based, and policy organizations to advocate socially just policies on climate change. [E-cigs can cause climate change and atheism].

Member #4: Susan holds a MA in Counseling Psychology from John F. Kennedy University and a BA in Business Administration from Lewis & Clark College. [This is a useful educational background, as vaping causes mental disorders.]

Member #5: Caroline has a master’s degree in entomology from Oregon State University and is a graduate of Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania. [There are insect parts in e-liquids].

Member #6: He is a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley in Peace and Conflict Studies. He is also a graduate of the California Culinary Academy and was a long-time professional baker. [We'll have a more peaceful world and flakier croissants when vaping is banned.]

Member #7: The central goal of Kathryn’s work is to build power in low-income communities of color to engage in policy development that transforms their health, environment and economic opportunities. She is a Senior Fellow with the Environmental Leadership Program and has a B.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from U.C. Berkeley. [Poverty will be a thing of the past when e-cigs are eliminated.]

Member #8: Judy received her B.A. degree in social work from the University of California at Berkeley and her Masters Degree in social work from the University of Michigan. [Attacking e-cigs is a lot easier and pays better than, you know, actually helping people cope with things like poverty and mental illness.]

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
IMHO, those *inaccurate* tests shouldn't have gone unchallenged to begin with.

So now, in the course of defending against a lawsuit, this gives the ecig industry an OPPORTUNITY to show that ecigs do not, after all, generate high levels of formaldehyde and aldehydes, right?

If anything, a positive outcome of tests, that are PROPERLY conducted, seems like it would clear up a lot of questions, as well as stop accusations from being slung around.

I know if somebody were making accusations about my person, or a product I sold, I would be QUICKLY embarking on showing evidence to the contrary.

So, not sure why this is bad if it has a good outcome?

OTOH, if it has a bad outcome, then it gives the ecig industry something to improve and fix. Again, not sure how this is bad for vapers?
In the short term, it's terrible. The headlines in the media have been maybe the worst to date. Long term, it could be good, possibly even a breakthrough much like you describe.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Because they are determined to seize on & find just one scary-sounding chemical from vaping that they can run with and scare the hell out of people & go to the elitist media & fearmonger about vaping & equate it to cigarette smoking. Make no mistake, that's their goal.
They knew from previous "studies" that aldehydes are easy to get if you misuse e-cigs with smoking machines, so that's what they aimed for, that's what they looked for, and that's what they found.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Bottom line is that vaporizers work because they simulate smoking and are nicotine without the tobacco smoke and chemicals. After I took my first drag on an 18mg juice ecig, I knew this would finally be how I would be able to quit cigarettes & I was right. 3 days & counting! Nothing else worked. These people who claim to be so worried about chemicals need to chill out there are chemicals in everything, more dangerous chemicals probably in household cleaners than in vaporizers. And remember the UK study that just came out saying essentially that vaping is MUCH safer than tobacco smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread