Clapton

Status
Not open for further replies.

znamsienatym

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2015
Poland, Warsaw
Here is my build using NI80 26AWG and 32AWG in Zephyrus, perfect flavour and good vapor! I recommend this size of wires for clapton (or smaller outside)

IMG_20150805_155220.jpg

Afcarmona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2014
Las Vegas NV USA
that looks really good - gonna give that a try later on my day off... what's inner diameter of your coils?
what ohms? how many watts your run it?
thanks in advance

Here is my build using NI80 26AWG and 32AWG in Zephyrus, perfect flavour and good vapor! I recommend this size of wires for clapton (or smaller outside)

IMG_20150805_155220.jpg

Afcarmona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2014
Las Vegas NV USA
@Afcarmona inner diameter 2mm (not possible to put in Zephyrus bigger one but in RDA I prefer 2.5 or 3mm), about 0.4Ohm, watts range 40-75W - can be more in RDA.
well now i have a new project on my next day off... i usually build @2.4mm with 26 gauge kanthal on the Zeph. - 2mm id coil makes sense... many thanks!

CShaver

Cloudy Flavor All Day
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
Swoyersville, PA
I had planned on ordering about 450 feet of wire on Friday. In that order was 24g Nichrome, 36g Nichrome, and 36g Kanthal. Would 36 be too small of a wire for claptons? I can always order 32 instead. I'm just worried about it adding too much bulk to the coil size for my velocity. Don't want to short anything out.

CShaver

Cloudy Flavor All Day
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
Swoyersville, PA
@CShaver 36g is ok but the core should be reduced accordingly, I think 30-28g. For me 36g is to small, I don't have enough skills to make clapton using such thin wire.

So I can't do a 24/36 clapton? That's unfortunate as I placed the order about 15 hours ago. I would have put some 32 in the order had I seen this post lmao

tedigram

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2015
Brooklyn
So I can't do a 24/36 clapton? That's unfortunate as I placed the order about 15 hours ago. I would have put some 32 in the order had I seen this post lmao

Oh you definitely can, it'll just be harder to do since the wire will be that much more fragile. But you may as well try, since you ordered it anyhow.

Kraken_Up

Multiple ID Suspension
Aug 6, 2015
I've never used a wrap wire thicker than 34 (not to discourage you from doing so, you do what you want)in the past 5-6 months I've been making Claptons, but I've not once had a wrap wire break on me. To someone who has never made a Clapton before, I recommend starting with 34 or 36 and then going thinner as/if you desire. The thinner the wrap wire, the less power you will have to add to the equation when comparing to just a bare wrap of your core wire. With 36, I don't have to add much power (just a few watts), but with 40g I don't add any power at all. That stuff is tiny though, definite learning curve to it.

TL;DR: 24/26/28 core? Sure. Start with 34 or 36 for outer, and see what you like/if you want to go thicker or thinner for your wrap wire. Have fun, and make em pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread