Humorous Juice Prices in Australia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
Thought a few of you guys would get a kick out of this, there is a vape shop in Melbourne, Australia selling 30ml bottles of Mt Baker juice for $40. $40?

Pink Lemonade E Juice Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarette Australia

uploadfromtaptalk1441356413476.png

I thought that was... Interesting.

Angus T Rat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2015
It's probably the importation costs. Also the exchange rate is 1 USD to 1.45 AUD making it about 27.50 U.S. still expensive but Australia is an island country and most goods are imported. Interestingly this stuff may be 0 nic, I went to the site and put some in the cart and the only option is qty of 30ml bottles …

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
Stuff is worth whatever people will pay for it.

There was a very popular Parker fountain pen ink called Penman Sapphire. Discontinued in the early 2000's with a bad rap of being "cloggy" in some pens. A very unusual Blue with a sometimes Red after sheen. When in stock I'd guess it was $8-9 per 3 oz bottle. Easily 5 years ago it was over $30 a bottle and getting harder to find, then $40-50 a bottle. I heard of a full bottle that sold this week for $125.

(Which makes me pretty happy to have the 2 bottles I paid $11 each for. ;) )
Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Reactions: tweaker30

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
It's probably the importation costs. Also the exchange rate is 1 USD to 1.45 AUD making it about 27.50 U.S. still expensive but Australia is an island country and most goods are imported. Interestingly this stuff may be 0 nic, I went to the site and put some in the cart and the only option is qty of 30ml bottles …
It is 0 nic. Nicotine eliquid is not available for purchase in Australia. Not sure if it's illegal to possess, but it is illegal to sell. I've never had any issues importing from the US.

Reactions: Vapntime

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
The scary thing is if we don't watch things here in the US and fight high taxes on eliquid this is what it can look like price wise for us too. In Ohio the recent proposed tax on eliquid (thankfully defeated thus far, but long from being over) would have made tax on a 30ml bottle around $34.00.

ETA: This ridiculous high tax in Ohio was introduced to a bill by the Governor John Richard Kasich who BTW is currently running for president so please remember this come voting time!!!

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
In Ohio the recent proposed tax on eliquid (thankfully defeated thus far, but long from being over) would have made tax on a 30ml bottle around $34.00.

ETA: This ridiculous high tax in Ohio was introduced to a bill by the Governor John Richard Kasich who BTW is currently running for president so please remember this come voting time!!!

What an assclown.
How in the hell do you stand in front of Anyone and propose a (Approx) 150% tax on Anything?
How can Anyone actually do that with a straight face that it's a good idea?
Bruce in Ocala, Fl

[EDIT] Sure would make a nutcracker of a debate question though. "Gov. Kasich, you recently proposed a 150+ % tax on e-cigarette juice. Can you explain how a tax 1 and a half times what Any item costs is a good idea?"

Last edited:

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
What an assclown.
How in the hell do you stand in front of Anyone and propose a (Approx) 150% tax on Anything?
How can Anyone actually do that with a straight face that it's a good idea?
Bruce in Ocala, Fl

[EDIT] Sure would make a nutcracker of a debate question though. "Gov. Kasich, you recently proposed a 150+ % tax on e-cigarette juice. Can you explain how a tax 1 and a half times what Any item costs is a good idea?"

California is fast on Ohio's heels on taxation of eliquids. I believe they are trying to equate ml=cigarettes and tax them on the same level and since most of the cigalikes claim 1 cigalike = 1+ packs of cigarettes and there is like a 1/2 ml to a ml in a cigalike..... political math

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Thought a few of you guys would get a kick out of this, there is a vape shop in Melbourne, Australia selling 30ml bottles of Mt Baker juice for $40. $40?

Pink Lemonade E Juice Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarette Australia

View attachment 487044

I thought that was... Interesting.

This is just a vendor known to prey on new vapors. They are well known here by the vaping community as a leach. Aussies are free to import nicotine e liquid into Australia from overseas with no import tax. Check out his/her other prices on Hardware etc. There are plenty of genuine vendors selling quality nicotine free liquid and hardware in Australia at reasonable prices.

Reactions: lamensterms

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
This is just a vendor known to prey on new vapors. They are well known here by the vaping community as a leach. Aussies are free to import nicotine e liquid into Australia from overseas with no import tax. Check out his/her other prices on Hardware etc. There are plenty of genuine vendors selling quality nicotine free liquid and hardware in Australia at reasonable prices.
Agreed. I usually shop online at Vapeking and VapeStreet. Any other recommendations?

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
California is fast on Ohio's heels on taxation of eliquids. I believe they are trying to equate ml=cigarettes and tax them on the same level and since most of the cigalikes claim 1 cigalike = 1+ packs of cigarettes and there is like a 1/2 ml to a ml in a cigalike..... political math

Do you have any idea how much cigarettes are being sold for in Melbourne ?

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl

No matter what the product, there is someone willing to gladly pay the completely voluntary Stupidity Tax [1] for not checking into what they're buying.

[1] You didn't think you could be Stupid for free did you?
Bruce in Ocala, Fl

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
Bear in mind, it's much more difficult for a business to import legally in Australia. If I recall, current laws state you can import a 3 month supply for personal use. Businesses, on the other hand, do so at their own risk.
Business can not legally import and sell liquid containing nicotine. A person can legally import nicotine base and / or liquid with no limit on the amount (Federal law), however possession of nicotine without the necessary permit is generally illegal (State law).

Adding to the cost of liquid is exchange rate (current AUD = 0.71USD) and the ridiculous postage fees from the states, then add markup and it ends up expensive. Also, because it's an AU business, the bottle of liquid is usually twice the flavour strength so local users can add their own nicotine so that makes it more expensive also.

ETA: Add GST too (10% to the govt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread