First N.E.T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilstompa

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2015
I just tried the grape swisher N.E.T. the grape flavor is coming through now. I just now put them outside in the sun a bit to heat them up a little. I also filtered the black n mild with two regular coffee filters and am still getting a lot of coil build up just need really good filtering but the flavor is very amazing.
Eventually going to try filtering with maybe 3 micron filter felt with the aeropress when I do I will report back and let you know the results

Brobdingnagian

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I personally use the Aeropress with Ahlstrom 1 micron filter paper. It's rather thick stuff, so the cap of the Aeropress may not screw down all of the way (even with the paper cut to exactly the same size as an identical Aeropress filter, which I believe filters down to something like 30 microns) when using it.

I use 3-4 Aeropress filters, stacked, to process the tobacco and PG 1-2 times before inserting the Ahlstrom filter disk (I cut 3 or so out of an 11cm disk) and letting it gravity filter. I've tried placing an Aeropress filter below the Ahlstrom disk (in an attempt to 'raise' the filter up to the channels on either side) with mixed results.

Usually, I'll run the pg through with as little tobacco as possible to get it processed, and then press small quantities of tobacco in the press (too much pressure and too much tobacco makes me concerned that the filter-holder tabs might break, and if you put too much in you'll notice your tobacco retains quite a bit of liquid) to get mostly all of the liquid out.

Each time you filter is also going to result in loss from the filter paper and transferring from vessels- a syringe with a blunt-tipped needle will usually get the last little bit after it settles to the bottom.

As to something useful to place the Aeropress on when filtering; a large, sturdy coffee cup will be sufficient. Oversized, wide-rimmed cups are what I use for mine. Gravity filtering can be done on top of a wide-mouth jar, but just take care not to store the finished product in anything that's had pickles, salsa, or especially peppers in it.

Olive jars seem to be easier to clean out of residual smell, but can end up on the rather-large size, so small jars for capers seem to work quite well.

I re-purpose a lot, but after having one of my favorite e-liquids turn into pickle-topped Turkish, I became extremely obsessive about jars with any sort of lingering smell remaining... it usually is imparted from the lid seal itself, so changing that out ought to be sufficient. I use lots of olive jars for gravity filtering, though I could get away with using them for storage if the need arises.

Before I forget, the diameter of an Aeropress filter disk is 2.5cm, at least from what I can tell.

Hope that helps a bit.

Devilstompa

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2015
I personally use the Aeropress with Ahlstrom 1 micron filter paper. It's rather thick stuff, so the cap of the Aeropress may not screw down all of the way (even with the paper cut to exactly the same size as an identical Aeropress filter, which I believe filters down to something like 30 microns) when using it.

I use 3-4 Aeropress filters, stacked, to process the tobacco and PG 1-2 times before inserting the Ahlstrom filter disk (I cut 3 or so out of an 11cm disk) and letting it gravity filter. I've tried placing an Aeropress filter below the Ahlstrom disk (in an attempt to 'raise' the filter up to the channels on either side) with mixed results.

Usually, I'll run the pg through with as little tobacco as possible to get it processed, and then press small quantities of tobacco in the press (too much pressure and too much tobacco makes me concerned that the filter-holder tabs might break, and if you put too much in you'll notice your tobacco retains quite a bit of liquid) to get mostly all of the liquid out.

Each time you filter is also going to result in loss from the filter paper and transferring from vessels- a syringe with a blunt-tipped needle will usually get the last little bit after it settles to the bottom.

As to something useful to place the Aeropress on when filtering; a large, sturdy coffee cup will be sufficient. Oversized, wide-rimmed cups are what I use for mine. Gravity filtering can be done on top of a wide-mouth jar, but just take care not to store the finished product in anything that's had pickles, salsa, or especially peppers in it.

Olive jars seem to be easier to clean out of residual smell, but can end up on the rather-large size, so small jars for capers seem to work quite well.

I re-purpose a lot, but after having one of my favorite e-liquids turn into pickle-topped Turkish, I became extremely obsessive about jars with any sort of lingering smell remaining... it usually is imparted from the lid seal itself, so changing that out ought to be sufficient. I use lots of olive jars for gravity filtering, though I could get away with using them for storage if the need arises.

Before I forget, the diameter of an Aeropress filter disk is 2.5cm, at least from what I can tell.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thank you this helps alot. Does it really make a big difference in coil life when you filter down to 1 or 2 micron?

Brobdingnagian

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Thank you this helps alot. Does it really make a big difference in coil life when you filter down to 1 or 2 micron?

I'd say that it makes a moderate amount of difference. The best change is that the wick does not gunk up nearly as quickly/ liquid does not darken as quickly.

My test run of the Moonshine Pipes Co. XXX Blend (multiple tobacco types; quite dark), compared to simple cotton filtering for flavor comparison- two and a half tanks have not produced any coil gunk or darkened tank liquid so far, and that's at 2.7ml per tank. I like to change the wicks when they darken rather than using the coil as a guideline. The cotton filtering was only able to get a single tank before darkened wicks were produced alongside a significant flavor reduction.

Personally, I've been able to confirm that the wicks darkening is an immediate precursor to the juice darkening and the coil clogging with gunk. It's also one of the main reasons that I change the wicks out so frequently. Some people even prefer to re-coil when they do this, but I don't bother until the coil starts to gain a moderate amount of "browned" precipitate on the wraps.

It seems as if the congestion I experience from certain e-liquids is tied directly to the condition of the wick, and exponentially increases as the coil then begins to suffer.

(I use Cotton labo 'cotton puffs', which seem superior to KGD, if that helps. They're also insanely affordable and entirely natural in appearance and taste-neutral: I found this not to be the case with KGD to the same extent) I usually keep the wick fibers horizontal spreading out across & down into the juice channels in a -< shape, rather than vertically- it took me a while to figure this out, but the efficiency seems greatly improved in regards to the wicks being able to filter out gunk from the juice itself.

I guess I treat wicks as my main filters these days- the more often I change them, the less gunk that manages to reach the chimney and drip-tips. Those reasons alone are enough for me. Every blend is a bit different when it comes to gunking, though. Burley has less natural sugar than Virginia, so I'll be testing a burley-centered blend in the next few days in order to visit its progress and gunk accumulation.

I use gravity filtering due to various injuries, as pressing coffee using the default ~30 micron filters supplied can be a chore depending on the grind.

1 micron may be extremely difficult to process with pressing, and my biggest concern would be accidentally supplying force and simultaneously shifting the vessel you're pressing into- this would probably cause it to spill, if not launch it sideways. :-x

Keep in mind, when pressing, you have to press straight down with consistent force. Some people have suggested using a brick leaned against a wall for pressing fine coffees, allowing the weight of the brick to slowly press down on the plunger.

As far as effectiveness, it seems to vary greatly across darker liquids. Latakia blends are quite gentle to wicks, despite being dark liquids, and seem to retain a fair amount of flavor throughout vaping until the coil itself gunks up. Cavendish seems to be very much a brand-dependent gunker; Some seem more apt to it than others.

My next to filter is a Lane BCA, which is supposedly a nice, simple Cavendish for extracting purposes... though I really enjoy Captain Black Gold (it helps that it's a very light liquid, too) and suspect it would blend well with other tobaccos.

I look forward to seeing how your finished extracts turn out. :thumb:

As far as I know, there is no commercially available Black & Mild e-liquid that effectively duplicates the taste of these well-known pipe tobacco cigars.

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I filtered & sampled some of my cigar It's very good. The aeropress worked great ran it though 3 times. I wanted to start maybe doing a cold PGA Soak how long would I have to leave the tobacco soaking for?
And would it catch some of the tobacco alkaloids ?

For a room temperature PGA extraction a minimum of 6 days soak time, the cooler the ambient temp the longer the soak time. My last room temperature PGA extraction steeped for around 10 days. I couldn't say one way or the other on the alkaloids but the flavor and "feel" is quite different than when extracting with PG.

Devilstompa

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2015
All My Naturally Extracted Tobacco's Ive made myself so far have really changed the way I vape. I wont use any tobacco now unless it's a N.E.T. The Grape Swisher I did you get the sweet grape flavor
& the Black n Mild I did you get the smooth vanilla flavor It's very impressive. Whatever your favorite tobacco you use to smoke tastes spot on in N.E.T.S It's really amazing. There's nothing like vaping a great N.E.T. Eliquid & a cup of coffee in the morning. :)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
When doing a cold PGA Soak dose it pick up more nicotine than a Cold PG/VG Soak? Just don't want to over do it on the nicotine.

Likely about the same amount will be extracted from the tobacco, by the time you mix it the nic content will be negligible.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I am currently doing the PGA 6 Day Cold Soak. Was wondering if it would be a little faster if I sat it in the sun for a little bit like 1 hour or 2 ? or if I should just leave it alone in a dark room.

Personally, I avoid direct sunlight. The UV degrades juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread