My First Attempt At Twisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyChef

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 9, 2015
    Worcester, MA USA
    Used 4 pieces of 26g kanthal. It ain't too pretty, but it works well. It doesn't show up well in the pic, but it reads 0.27ohms. Only problem is I'm using my istick 50W and the coil would probably do better between 60-70 watts. Darn now I'm gonna have to buy another mod... :thumbs:

Twisted-Coil.jpg

CrazyChef

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 9, 2015
    Worcester, MA USA
    4 at once in a drill. Sort of looped about 1/8" at the end to keep it in the drill. Held the other end very taught with needle nose pliers. Started twisting slow, then sped up. Kept going until the end near the pliers snapped. As long as there's tension, it will only snap at the very end.

Reactions: GingerNutz

GingerNutz

Aug 27, 2015
    4 at once in a drill. Sort of looped about 1/8" at the end to keep it in the drill. Held the other end very taught with needle nose pliers. Started twisting slow, then sped up. Kept going until the end near the pliers snapped. As long as there's tension, it will only snap at the very end.

Will give it another go soon. I've got some dual twisted coils, but they don't perform as well as I'd like.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    www.whichgun.com
    I'd give two strands of 26 gauge and two strands of 30 gauge wire a shot if you want to stick with four wires. A four-strand 30 gauge coil at ~0.3 ohms is a bit on the "hot" side for 50 watts. Or you can bump it up to around 0.5 ohms and four strands of 30 gauge should work well at 50 watts.

While it doesn't support mixed gauges, the Steam Engine calculator will definitely help you out. Select "Round, twisted/parallel" under "Material and profile" and play around with the numbers. The calculated values for heat flux and heat capacity will help give you an idea of how hot the vape will be, and how fast the coil will heat up and cool down. Be sure to change the wattage value for heat flux to 50 watts (or whatever wattage you intend to use the coil at). I like to keep the heat flux at 250 - 300 mW/mm^2 and the heat capacity at 100 - 150 mJ/K for coils around 50 watts -- those numbers give a very warm (but not too hot) vape and don't have an excessively long ramp-up time. Of course everyone's preferences differ, but you'll learn pretty quickly what works best for you.

For comparison, your 0.27 ohm, 4-strand 26 gauge coil has a very low heat flux of 102 mW/mm^2 at 50 watts, which is why it isn't working well at 50 watts.

Reactions: CrazyChef

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    I'd give two strands of 26 gauge and two strands of 30 gauge wire a shot if you want to stick with four wires. A four-strand 30 gauge coil at ~0.3 ohms is a bit on the "hot" side for 50 watts. Or you can bump it up to around 0.5 ohms and four strands of 30 gauge should work well at 50 watts.

While it doesn't support mixed gauges, the Steam Engine calculator will definitely help you out. Select "Round, twisted/parallel" under "Material and profile" and play around with the numbers. The calculated values for heat flux and heat capacity will help give you an idea of how hot the vape will be, and how fast the coil will heat up and cool down. Be sure to change the wattage value for heat flux to 50 watts (or whatever wattage you intend to use the coil at). I like to keep the heat flux under 300 mW/mm^2 and the heat capacity under 150 mJ/K for coils around 50 watts -- those numbers give a very warm (but not too hot) vape and don't have an excessively long ramp-up time. Of course everyone's preferences differ, but you'll learn pretty quickly what works best for you.

For comparison, your 0.27 ohm, 4-strand 26 gauge coil has a very low heat flux of 102 mW/mm^2 at 50 watts, which is why it isn't working well at 50 watts.
    The Wire Wizard section of Steam Engine supports just about everything including Claptons.
    Wire Wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

CrazyChef

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 9, 2015
    Worcester, MA USA
    Okay, so I took your suggestions and tried the Steam Engine site. Definitely and awesome tool = Thanks! I have a paid app called "Cloud.Box" on my Android devices that I've been using, and Steam Engine goes far beyond anything Cloud.Box is capable of. I've fooled around with Steam Engine a couple of times before, but never looked at it seriously because I have a paid app. Oops.

Thanks again! :)

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Using wire that thick almost defeats the purpose. Also I've found twisting too tight starts acting almost like a single thick wire. I've managed to twist different size wires and it gives a smooth repeating pattern except for a visible flaw or 2 which usually can be avoided if the wire is longer than needed... although seemed no real advantage.

Reactions: TrollDragon
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread