CEH files shakedown lawsuits in CA against 24 large e-cig companies alleging high carcinogen levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
For carcinogens, the chemical must be present at or above a level that could cause one additional case of cancer in a population of 100,000 people exposed to the chemical over a lifetime
what does this mean? is this 1 case per 100,000 or 1 + all the others in that 100,000 that got
cancer from that chemical. can rates be detected in the 1 in 100,000 range with reliability?
regards
mike

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
IMHO, those *inaccurate* tests shouldn't have gone unchallenged to begin with.

So now, in the course of defending against a lawsuit, this gives the ecig industry an OPPORTUNITY to show that ecigs do not, after all, generate high levels of formaldehyde and aldehydes, right?

If anything, a positive outcome of tests, that are PROPERLY conducted, seems like it would clear up a lot of questions, as well as stop accusations from being slung around.

I know if somebody were making accusations about my person, or a product I sold, I would be QUICKLY embarking on showing evidence to the contrary.

So, not sure why this is bad if it has a good outcome?

OTOH, if it has a bad outcome, then it gives the ecig industry something to improve and fix. Again, not sure how this is bad for vapers?
Legal battles are costly. I do hope that one, or more of the vendors on the list step up and fight this. What would be best is if they pool their resources and fight this as a "class," with a counter suit.

However, being from California, I can tell you what seems to usually happen in cases like this, or prop 65, or ADA compliance cases. Either the company settles/makes the "required" adjustments, or closes shop. Whichever is financially better for them.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
In the short term, it's terrible. The headlines in the media have been maybe the worst to date.

Today with low information types - no counter will matter. The meme persists. Trump meant "Coyotes" and Hillary may very well have not had any emails 'marked' classified. So... what difference, at this point, does it make.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Today with low information types - no counter will matter. The meme persists. Trump meant "Coyotes" and Hillary may very well have not had any emails 'marked' classified. So... what difference, at this point, does it make.
At least those two have people with money and media access working for them. Bogus e-cig science is different, and I can't recall any media scare study as bad as this one.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
At least those two have people with money and media access working for them. Bogus e-cig science is different, and I can't recall any media scare study as bad as this one.

True, but how effective their counter may be, the meme still exists. That's all I'm saying. Either may win and ecigs might not get banned/regulated out of existence. But there will always be someone attempting to use that data against all.

Reactions: nicnik

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
True, but how effective their counter may be, the meme still exists. That's all I'm saying. Either may win and ecigs might not get banned/regulated out of existence. But there will always be someone attempting to use that data against all.
Every bogus ANTZ study result never stops getting recirculated, even after getting walked back, thoroughly debunked, or admonished by the courts. This has been the case from 2009, on.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I hope those companies sue them back and win big money. That's the only way to shut them up, in the courts.

Well, so far, they haven't seemed to want to spend the money ...... or something.

As local bans and laws continue to roll across the US, I guess I don't understand why the ecig industry hasn't put its shoulder, full force, with all it's resources----- to bear?

(I see some are spending $$ to put their names on racecars instead? Won't be much sense in advertising if it's banned everywhere. :lol:)

If the industry really believes in itself ------ then it has never made sense to me how they usually just end up on the defensive?

They knew from previous "studies" that aldehydes are easy to get if you misuse e-cigs with smoking machines, so that's what they aimed for

I know the game and how it's played. .....if you think your opponent isn't going to come right back with evidence to prove to contrary, they have you running on defensive. When you are not AGGRESSIVELY pursuing evidence to prove otherwise, then you have made yourself into fair game, and it becomes easier for your opponent to keep picking on you.

Defensive strategy = penny wise and pound foolish.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Well, so far, they haven't seemed to want to spend the money ...... or something.

As local bans and laws continue to roll across the US, I guess I don't understand why the ecig industry hasn't put its shoulder, full force, with all it's resources----- to bear?

(I see some are spending $$ to put their names on racecars instead? Won't be much sense in advertising if it's banned everywhere. :lol:)

If the industry really believes in itself ------ then it has never made sense to me how they usually just end up on the defensive?

I know the game and how it's played. .....if you think your opponent isn't going to come right back with evidence to prove to contrary, they have you running on defensive. When you are not AGGRESSIVELY pursuing evidence to prove otherwise, then you have made yourself into fair game, and it becomes easier for your opponent to keep picking on you.

Defensive strategy = penny wise and pound foolish.

Sharks are cowards who would rather go after the dead or injured; not much different than lawyers in California going after an industry they know won't use the courts, except NJOY the one time...

Reactions: navigator2011

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
Thanks for that. CEH is sneaky with their words, sentences and intentions. I'd like to see them say what parameters they used, either in email or elswhere. I might not be asking the best questions, though.

They should publish complete testing protocols and the name of the lab used.Either they are being dishonest or worried over backlash from irate ecig users.

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
They should publish complete testing protocols and the name of the lab used.Either they are being dishonest or worried over backlash from irate ecig users.
I replied to to Charles Margulis asked for the complete testing protocols, and asked if he could supply this information, or point me to where I can find it. I aslo asked if the study was published, if it was peer reviewed, and what lab did the testing.

He replied, saying that the details are part of a confidential legal case. I replied asking if could at least tell me if the study has been peer reviewed.

He didn't merely say that the details are confidential. He said the legal case is confidential. Well CEH sure blabbed all over the press about their "confidential" case. This is big time corruption, and the sneakiest, most damaging dishonesty regarding vaping to date, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread