Can vaping hurt your lungs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2015
Hello I'm not sure if anyone will be reading this but I'm trying to possibly help save some of my fellow vapor artists ... Ok so check this out I vape and I am normally healthy but I do vape everyday more than 3 times before lunch than after through out my whole day I vape i have vaped many different mods and non mech mods egos I have vaped all different kinds of atomizers tanks RDA ETC while enjoying my vapor I Sometimes noticed a weird feeling if vaping constantly or chain vaping it's like my lungs kinda freezes for a moment while the vapor was in my lungs like my lungs needed to reboot sometimes It seems once the vapor escaped my lungs they feel normal! So I continue to vape every day thinking its a normal feeling but today around 10 am while at work and finishing a nice session of vaping I noticed that same lung freeze felling like my lung has no room for air the feeling was temporary before but today it was different the feeling stayed and stayed by the time 12pm lunch time came around my upper back was in severe sharp pain my right lung had pain and it was so difficult to walk or finish a long sentence because I was out of breath!! Not good !! After debating with myself I finally decided to see the doctor I'm sure you could imagine my reaction after my chest X-ray results it was a [removed] Colapsed lung I Colapsed my favorite lung my right lung so next in comes my chest tube after my visit to my local ER a thank you to them . Now I am writing this post at 2 am because I can't sleep because of lack of oxygen I have a chest tube in my chest and a Colapsed lung . Now, I am not a doctor and I am not saying that my Colapsed lung is because of vapor but I can tell you that the feeling I felt as if my lungs were freezing or stalled temporally was the feeling I felt and still feel . It was my lung wanting to collapse during heavy vapor usage sessions no joke , now the causes of lungs collapsing from what I found suggest heavy Smoking and Spontaneous pneumothorax now this accures mostly in young male adults whom are tall and skinny but to be honest im not that tall and I'm not too skinny I'm like 185lbs 5 foot 7 and I'm 27 although I am a former smoker I have been using only vapor and tons of it for the past 2 years . I love vapor it has many beautiful flavors taste it's better than burning tobacco and don't forget that nice throat hit honestly I REALLY LOVE VAPING I'm not trying to tell people don't vape but I wanted to get this out to anyone who is foolish to believe that vapor has no dangers I will most likely continue to vape until we have more studies proving us vaporists wrong but I write this because I want people to start realizing vapor is not as harmless as we all constantly try to prove and I hope I can save a lung or hey maybe 50 lungs or someone's life at least from the same horrible lung collapse that I just experienced today it's sucks to be hooked up to thise machines with tubes running through me and I was cut open and have a tube coming out of my chest for a few days not to mention this is for something that I refused to believed was harmless. If my Colapsed lung was spontaneous that would be the worst and so far most painful uncomfortable And "coincidental/ random happening " in my life ! Now I must rehabilitate my lung and be cautious for life : ( or risk another collapse no [removed] thank you if anyone takes anything from this I just hope they will slow down on vaping think of your fragile lungs they are not iron and find a better system and or time to vape so its not a constant accurace don't vape as much smoking too much of anything that is not naturally occurring like air can and may cause some scary and seriouse health problems . I hope that I can learn to limit my vapor consumption after my lung repairs and help you as well if your readiness this article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 3, 2015
That's exactly what you're saying, and with no scientific or medical methodology/basis to back it up.

No problem you can take what I said to heart or you can choose not too it doesn't really bother me because I have other things to worry about but even if it's a 50-50 chance it's still not worth losing your lung but thank you for your input though

Oct 3, 2015
Remember I'm a true vapor lover like for real I don't work for truth and tobacco company adds !!! as I said it could have been a coincidence / random or pre-existing to be honest I don't know but I want people to hear my story and opinion people are talking about having evidence to back up nobody has evidence on either end to back up whether or not collapsing long is a side effect of heavy vaping or not so I just wanted to give a fair warning that this definitely could be The cause of my collapsed lung or not as I said in my original post if I can save 1 lung or 50 I can stay on here having this lovely conversation with all of you who disagree with my possibile causes and or contributions to my injury all day if it will help someone.... to be honest I never do post like this I just wanted people to know that it is a definite possibility because nobody has evidence backing up either way ...so why not do what most people have done in our human history make a educated decision/hypothesis for yourself with the tools and knowladge given by those before them regardless what it said on this post.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
If there had even one other report of a person that had this happen to, in the 5-6 years of this forum being around, it might have been a consideration.

Has your doctor stated that the lung collapse was caused by vaping or smoking? As in the case of my son, they knew an air bubble was the cause. What has your doctor told you?

We try very hard to deal with Facts, not guesses, when it comes to major medical issues. If you can back up the claim, you are putting out here, you won't get as much flack.

I'm truly sorry you are dealing with a collapsed lung. I watched my son suffer through the whole tube in the chest and it was heartbreaking as a parent. At the same time, we need facts not supposition.

Oct 3, 2015
I can see your point but maybe nobody felt the need to post it because they didn't think they were related maybe now we all will maybe not

The doctor asked me if I smoked I told him yes vapor on a daily basis he told me that this is the most likely contribution to your lungs collapsing the other possibility would be This happens to young people that are very tall and skinny that's what I was told after receiving three x-rays plus the procedure x-ray so it's actually a total of four.

I did not mean to come off so factual as I said this is my first post but it is my opinion that that feeling that I felt when I took in those big hits of vapor and I kept vaping on and on that feeling is definitely the same feeling I felt when my a lung collapsed there is a fact for you and here's a couple more since everybody here loves facts so much for me i never feel that feeling any other time in my life during Sports or high activities baseball ETC only when I'm vaping heavily so if someone is vulnerable to a collapsing and they didn't know it plus they use vapor than this could help them

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
If I vape more than 20% VG, I can't breathe at all -- so I vape 85% PG, at 9w (tootle puffer). If the way you vape is causing a problem... THEN CHANGE IT! Don't throw out the entire baby with the bathwater!

If I tried to "fill my lungs" with vapor, I'd probably end up in the hospital too -- so I don't do that. Vaporized nicotine doesn't absorb well in the lungs anyway, so there's no need to inhale it at all.

If you try it one way, and that way causes you a problem... then the problem isn't "vaping", it's THE WAY YOU'RE DOING IT.

Andria

Reactions: Lantana

Archer74

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Illinois
I think the last one is of interest to us. So it may be the act that caused it and not the vapor itself. Like over inflating a balloon over and over, it pops eventually.

Spontaneous pneumothorax

• This refers to a condition in which the lung collapses with no apparent injury or trauma.
  • Abnormal, small, air-filled sacs in the lung called "blebs" typically rupture and leak air into the pleural space, leading to the spontaneous pneumothorax. This happens in the cases of tall and thin people, who because of the shape of their lungs and chest cavity, are seemingly more prone to these defects.
  • Shortness of breath and sharp, stabbing chest pain develops in apparently healthy people.
  • Cigarette smokers are at greater risk for spontaneous pneumothorax.
  • Recreational drug users who inhale deeply and forcefully are also at greater risk.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Hello I'm not sure if anyone will be reading this but I'm trying to possibly help save some of my fellow vapor artists ... Ok so check this out I vape and I am normally healthy but I do vape everyday more than 3 times before lunch than after through out my whole day I vape i have vaped many different mods and non mech mods egos I have vaped all different kinds of atomizers tanks RDA ETC while enjoying my vapor I Sometimes noticed a weird feeling if vaping constantly or chain vaping it's like my lungs kinda freezes for a moment while the vapor was in my lungs like my lungs needed to reboot sometimes It seems once the vapor escaped my lungs they feel normal! So I continue to vape every day thinking its a normal feeling but today around 10 am while at work and finishing a nice session of vaping I noticed that same lung freeze felling like my lung has no room for air the feeling was temporary before but today it was different the feeling stayed and stayed by the time 12pm lunch time came around my upper back was in severe sharp pain my right lung had pain and it was so difficult to walk or finish a long sentence because I was out of breath!! Not good !! After debating with myself I finally decided to see the doctor I'm sure you could imagine my reaction after my chest X-ray results it was a [removed] Colapsed lung I Colapsed my favorite lung my right lung so next in comes my chest tube after my visit to my local ER a thank you to them . Now I am writing this post at 2 am because I can't sleep because of lack of oxygen I have a chest tube in my chest and a Colapsed lung . Now, I am not a doctor and I am not saying that my Colapsed lung is because of vapor but I can tell you that the feeling I felt as if my lungs were freezing or stalled temporally was the feeling I felt and still feel . It was my lung wanting to collapse during heavy vapor usage sessions no joke , now the causes of lungs collapsing from what I found suggest heavy Smoking and Spontaneous pneumothorax now this accures mostly in young male adults whom are tall and skinny but to be honest im not that tall and I'm not too skinny I'm like 185lbs 5 foot 7 and I'm 27 although I am a former smoker I have been using only vapor and tons of it for the past 2 years . I love vapor it has many beautiful flavors taste it's better than burning tobacco and don't forget that nice throat hit honestly I REALLY LOVE VAPING I'm not trying to tell people don't vape but I wanted to get this out to anyone who is foolish to believe that vapor has no dangers I will most likely continue to vape until we have more studies proving us vaporists wrong but I write this because I want people to start realizing vapor is not as harmless as we all constantly try to prove and I hope I can save a lung or hey maybe 50 lungs or someone's life at least from the same horrible lung collapse that I just experienced today it's sucks to be hooked up to thise machines with tubes running through me and I was cut open and have a tube coming out of my chest for a few days not to mention this is for something that I refused to believed was harmless. If my Colapsed lung was spontaneous that would be the worst and so far most painful uncomfortable And "coincidental/ random happening " in my life ! Now I must rehabilitate my lung and be cautious for life : ( or risk another collapse no [removed] thank you if anyone takes anything from this I just hope they will slow down on vaping think of your fragile lungs they are not iron and find a better system and or time to vape so its not a constant accurace don't vape as much smoking too much of anything that is not naturally occurring like air can and may cause some scary and seriouse health problems . I hope that I can learn to limit my vapor consumption after my lung repairs and help you as well if your readiness this article.

I am sorry for what is happening to you and I sincerely hope that you'll get better soon. Lung collapsed lung is a mechanical process, which you certainly know results from air pressure build up in the space between the chest wall and the pleural cavity. As sudden as it happens, it'a a progressive process promoted by several possible causes. Although your pattern and way of vaping might have contributed or even precipitated this process, their is no fair evidence that vaping is the cause. Indeed, it might have happened even if were not vaping or only smoking. One way to figure this out further would be to assess whether the percentage of people with collapsed lung among the total vaping population is higher the non-vaping population. Difficult estimate though as smokers are more susceptible and most vapers are long term ex-smokers. I feel your pain as I had lung surgery a few years ago putting me at risk of collapsed lung. Again, I hope you'll get better soon and thank you for sharing you experience.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
the lesson you should take away from all of that is don't ignore the warning signs.

if something you're eating is bothering your stomach, you should avoid that stuff.
but with your stomach you can afford to stop eating for a day or at least a few hours, no problem.
with your lungs, you can't just stop breathing for a few little minutes.

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate

Rkb56

Oct 7, 2015
I'm a licensed paramedic in the state of Missouri and I vape. I think most of us here know that of course there are dangers with vaping. I can however tell you life is sadly a crap shoot. I've seen health nuts keel over dead 30 from a heart attack and chain smoking alcoholics live to 90. I doubt your collapsed lung was caused by vaping alone. I'm going to lay down some harsh truth on you though, you need to stop vaping. For your regular every day healthy person they'll have no problems. You now have very very comprised lung tissue. If you continue to put foreign substances into your body knowing your entire respitory system is compromised you're going to kill yourself.

Reactions: Nimaz

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I did not mean to come off so factual as I said this is my first post but it is my opinion that that feeling that I felt when I took in those big hits of vapor and I kept vaping on and on that feeling is definitely the same feeling I felt when my a lung collapsed there is a fact for you and here's a couple more since everybody here loves facts so much for me i never feel that feeling any other time in my life during Sports or high activities baseball ETC only when I'm vaping heavily so if someone is vulnerable to a collapsing and they didn't know it plus they use vapor than this could help them
I am no doctor but I am going to assume that when you were participating in sports activity's you
were not inhaling lungs full of vapor. Therefore its reasonable to assume when you were stuffing
your lungs with vapor the discomfort you felt was due to a pre-existing condition that was being
aggravated by lungs full of vapor. The vapor didn't cause the condition. Any time one experiences
symptoms such as yours vaping or not medical advice and attention should be sought.
I hope you get well. A collapsed lung is a serious condition but with proper care it doesn't
have to be a game changer.
Regards
Mike

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
My aunt had a collapsed lung about a year ago. She never smoked nor vaped in her life. Usually there's an illness that causes this. Other things can cause more serious issues if your lungs are already damaged or ailing. I would almost bet you had something wrong to start with but kept vaping.

I think people want to blame something. If my aunt had smoked or vaped I suppose she would swear one of those was the reason her lung collapsed but luckily she never did either.

I smoked for over 20 years. I've been vaping for over 4 years. My last doctors visit my lungs were clear. As a matter of fact my doctor said he couldn't tell I had ever smoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread