Could I get some questions answered? And an introduction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triscone

Oct 4, 2015
Cleveland, TN
Backstory: Last week I thought you were all crazy and this was some fad that would soon pass. We hired a new tech at work and I was charged with training him. We discussed his vaping habit and I was curious, but still a bit apprehensive about the whole thing. The next day(Wednsday) he showed up at work with his old kit and handed it to me to borrow as a trial even though I had not asked for that. Thusday I smoke a cigarette when I woke up, and 2 more throughout the day. Friday I went a full day without smoking an analog since I was 18....16 years ago...

So let me start by apologizing for my misconceptions and pre-conceived notions. We went to a shop on Thursday and the people there were some of the most kind and considerate people I have ever encountered. Non-judgmental. They were ex-smokers who knew my struggle yet had found a new lease on life almost through vaping and more that anything they wanted to share that joy of being an "EX-smoker" with anyone who was willing to give it a shot.

I, being a technical person, began researching what I wanted to be my first kit. I knew I wanted something along the same lines of a subox Mini, but wanted to go to a few shops and get some opinions and direction from people who know the stuff massively more than I do. I went to 3 different shops locally today, and all 3 had the same caliber of people as that first shop on Thursday. You guys are an amazing community, and I am very thankful for that.

I did eventually end up purchasing a SUBOX Mini starter kit at the third shop I went to today, nothing wrong at the first 2 shops, this is just the place I happened to be when I decided to go all in and go for it, basically spending my analog budget for the next 2 weeks on a decent starter setup. This thing has been mostly amazing to me, but I do have some questions I don't quite know enough about yet.

1. I'm having a problem with liquid popping in the coil/chimney to the point that it spurts into my mouth at times. NONE of the testers I have ran through this week have had this problem, and I made sure to try this particular juice flavor, in a subox mini tank, albeit on an ego one battery, prior to making my choices. I assume, and it seems to me, that I'm getting liquid juice directly onto the coil and this is causing the POP. Is their something I am doing wrong or should be doing differently to prevent this.

2. As a recent analog convert, I still THINK I prefer a more restricted airflow. How do I account for this on my particular choice of a starting unit? Should I swap to the higher OHM coil, reduce wattage, and restrict airflow on the adjustable band? Will this result in a huge flavor drop? I like this juice and don't want to give up ALL my flavor?

3. Is it normal, at first, or even long term to vape a LOT. I'm hitting this thing every 10 minutes or so, that seems like a lot to me, but I can't really see why its a bad thing.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hi @Triscone and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your journey.

I haven't had an issue with my Subtanks Mini's as to your first question, so I'll ask for a second opinion.

The second question is easy for me. The very first thing I did when I got my subtanks is swap out the drip tip (mouthpiece) from the wide bore to a cheap 510 drip tip (found in every shop, they will know what you need) which is more restrictive. Then I cut down on the airflow to the middle choice in the air flow ring. I am a mouth to lung vaper and this is what works for me. I feel I get more flavor with a restrictive air flow.

The third question varies. If you're hitting it enough to keep from smoking it's a good thing. If you feel you'd like to vape less, then you might try the next higher nicotine level and see if it helps.

Good luck in your vape journey.

bigrf85

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
jax, fl
i have found with most turn key setups a little popping from slightly flooded coils is to be expected atleast till the coil breaks in the horizontal coils seem to do it more than verticle coils for that particular tank i believe been a while since i have used the subtank so sorry if i am not remembering right. as for the more restrictiveness a higher ohm coil as well as closing the airflow off a little to your liking would help with that but dont run it at as high of a wattage with a higher coil. as for vaping alot when i started almost 3 years ago i used far less efficient delivery systems and would almost always be taking a toot now a days with better systems in place i find i will set it down for 1-2 hours and not know i have gone that long.

hope this info help and dont be afraid to experiment as with almost everything in vaping all is subjective from person to person so try it and find your sweet spot what i suggest may not be exactly what you are looking for in vaping.

Reactions: Triscone

Triscone

Oct 4, 2015
Cleveland, TN
Hi @Triscone and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your journey.

I haven't had an issue with my Subtanks Mini's as to your first question, so I'll ask for a second opinion.

The second question is easy for me. The very first thing I did when I got my subtanks is swap out the drip tip (mouthpiece) from the wide bore to a cheap 510 drip tip (found in every shop, they will know what you need) which is more restrictive. Then I cut down on the airflow to the middle choice in the air flow ring. I am a mouth to lung vaper and this is what works for me. I feel I get more flavor with a restrictive air flow.

The third question varies. If you're hitting it enough to keep from smoking it's a good thing. If you feel you'd like to vape less, then you might try the next higher nicotine level and see if it helps.

Good luck in your vape journey.

The first issue was seemingly exactly what I suspected it seems, as using it for a bit cleared the issue up and I only get the more normal "sizzle?" sounds and none of the hot vapor into the mouth. I had not considered swapping out to a smaller drip tip. I already now I want to pick a plastic or non-metal tip as this one can be a bit hot if I take a long draw at 25+Watts. This may be a key component to my customizing.

Right on for the 3rd aspect, I'll deal with a dry mouth and increased water intake (Probably needed anyway) if it means I don't smell like an ashtray anymore.

Triscone

Oct 4, 2015
Cleveland, TN
i have found with most turn key setups a little popping from slightly flooded coils is to be expected atleast till the coil breaks in the horizontal coils seem to do it more than verticle coils for that particular tank i believe been a while since i have used the subtank so sorry if i am not remembering right. as for the more restrictiveness a higher ohm coil as well as closing the airflow off a little to your liking would help with that but dont run it at as high of a wattage with a higher coil. as for vaping alot when i started almost 3 years ago i used far less efficient delivery systems and would almost always be taking a toot now a days with better systems in place i find i will set it down for 1-2 hours and not know i have gone that long.

hope this info help and dont be afraid to experiment as with almost everything in vaping all is subjective from person to person so try it and find your sweet spot what i suggest may not be exactly what you are looking for in vaping.

They are all vertical coils in the OCC coil line now, at least I haven't seen any retailer list the horizontals as still available. I called the shop where I bought it and they mentioned that there is a slight issue with these having the problem I had if juice is on the coil from priming. They suggested cranking it to 50 and firing some short bursts but I didn't want to fry the coil before I could even get it settled in. I've been debating this afternoon swapping out to the 1.5 coil, but think im gonna hang on until my next refill. Thanks for the help!

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Thank you, I have not completely filled out my profile, but I can't help but notice you are located in the same town as I am. So cheers and thank you, from a fellow S Tennessean!
nice! and howdy, neighbor - if there is anything I can assist with, give me a shout :)

there are a couple of good shops in the area (notably Mountain Oak and Vapor Apothecary) and even better is this forum - great resource!

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
Backstory: Last week I thought you were all crazy and this was some fad that would soon pass. We hired a new tech at work and I was charged with training him. We discussed his vaping habit and I was curious, but still a bit apprehensive about the whole thing. The next day(Wednsday) he showed up at work with his old kit and handed it to me to borrow as a trial even though I had not asked for that. Thusday I smoke a cigarette when I woke up, and 2 more throughout the day. Friday I went a full day without smoking an analog since I was 18....16 years ago...

So let me start by apologizing for my misconceptions and pre-conceived notions. We went to a shop on Thursday and the people there were some of the most kind and considerate people I have ever encountered. Non-judgmental. They were ex-smokers who knew my struggle yet had found a new lease on life almost through vaping and more that anything they wanted to share that joy of being an "EX-smoker" with anyone who was willing to give it a shot.

I, being a technical person, began researching what I wanted to be my first kit. I knew I wanted something along the same lines of a SUBOX Mini, but wanted to go to a few shops and get some opinions and direction from people who know the stuff massively more than I do. I went to 3 different shops locally today, and all 3 had the same caliber of people as that first shop on Thursday. You guys are an amazing community, and I am very thankful for that.

I did eventually end up purchasing a SUBOX Mini starter kit at the third shop I went to today, nothing wrong at the first 2 shops, this is just the place I happened to be when I decided to go all in and go for it, basically spending my analog budget for the next 2 weeks on a decent starter setup. This thing has been mostly amazing to me, but I do have some questions I don't quite know enough about yet.

1. I'm having a problem with liquid popping in the coil/chimney to the point that it spurts into my mouth at times. NONE of the testers I have ran through this week have had this problem, and I made sure to try this particular juice flavor, in a subox mini tank, albeit on an ego one battery, prior to making my choices. I assume, and it seems to me, that I'm getting liquid juice directly onto the coil and this is causing the POP. Is their something I am doing wrong or should be doing differently to prevent this.

2. As a recent analog convert, I still THINK I prefer a more restricted airflow. How do I account for this on my particular choice of a starting unit? Should I swap to the higher OHM coil, reduce wattage, and restrict airflow on the adjustable band? Will this result in a huge flavor drop? I like this juice and don't want to give up ALL my flavor?

3. Is it normal, at first, or even long term to vape a LOT. I'm hitting this thing every 10 minutes or so, that seems like a lot to me, but I can't really see why its a bad thing.
Every ten minutes isn't often lol. At all. Try some days I hit the mod every ten seconds. Higher ohms and restricted airflow usually does feel more like an analog and shouldnt sacrwrice too much flavor tho idk too much cuz I don't really vape like that anymore

Reactions: Super Flex

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
New coils tend to pop more i notice. You would probably enjoy rebuilding considering you're a technical person. You should consider that after you get going and find what you like.

The higher ohm coil will produce a bit more flavor at a lower wattage most likely, and is more suited to mouth to lung hits. The lower ohm coils are more for straight lung hits. It's just a preference thing.

Some days I vape a lot, other days I don't. When you're first starring, you're craving, because while you are supplementing your nicotine intake, you're not getting all the other 5k+ chemicals you were also smoking, so your body is going to crave the vape since that's what's bringing it nicotine. I wouldn't worry about how much right now... In a month, then you can reevaluate your nicotine level and frequency. Keep it simple if it's working for you.

Reactions: Super Flex
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread