Status
Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Got a Goblin mini. I was very excited as I really like the diminutive size - I have drippers that are bigger. Loved the idea that it can be plugged and used single coil.

Anyway, I popped a .7 ohm 26ga Kanthal coil on it, wicked with Ko Gen Do, filled with King's Crown - Claim your Throne, which is a caramel custard juice. I took a few hits on my iStick 40 (in non-TC mode of course) at low wattage (under 15 watts) and it tasted really wrong - like machine oil I guess.

In my haste I had initially just rinsed it off, so I took it apart and gave it an ultrasonic bath in alcohol with a little bit of dish soap. Left it in the ultrasonic cleaner for about 30 minutes, then rinsed, dried, and rebuilt the same way.

Same result. I thought it might be the juice, but the juice tastes fine in a dripper.

Next, I tore it apart and rebuilt it using 28ga Kanthal at .9 ohms and switched to Milk Man by One Hit Wonder. It tasted a bit better, but way in the background I detect the very faint lingering taste of what may be machine oil.

Anyone experience this with their Goblin Mini? I've never been sensitive to this, or even tasted machine oil on ANY tank or atomizer, and I've had a lot of them. If it is oil, what is the very best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to completely disassemble the deck and use the ultrasonic cleaner?

Help/suggestions appreciated.

NeuReleases

Verified Member
Dec 10, 2014
Fairfield, CT
What i do with all my attys before their first use is to fill a mug with boiling water and dish soap and froth it up. After running each part individually under hot water i throw them in the mug and let them sit for 15 mins. Rinse them thoroughly afterwards and they are squeaky clean. The dish soap does a great job at breaking down the oils.

Reactions: gpjoe

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
GMinis are available in so many places, I am thinking they may well be coming out of more than one production line - and you may have gotten an oilier one!
For example, just on Fasttech, there's a bunch of clones at $8.88, a couple at $9.23, some at $11.38, and an authentic at $23.56.

Did you get the authentic?
Not that the authentic is NECESSARILY cleaner - just wondering (I may be buying one actually)...

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Got a Goblin mini. I was very excited as I really like the diminutive size - I have drippers that are bigger. Loved the idea that it can be plugged and used single coil.

Anyway, I popped a .7 ohm 26ga Kanthal coil on it, wicked with Ko Gen Do, filled with King's Crown - Claim your Throne, which is a caramel custard juice. I took a few hits on my iStick 40 (in non-TC mode of course) at low wattage (under 15 watts) and it tasted really wrong - like machine oil I guess.

In my haste I had initially just rinsed it off, so I took it apart and gave it an ultrasonic bath in alcohol with a little bit of dish soap. Left it in the ultrasonic cleaner for about 30 minutes, then rinsed, dried, and rebuilt the same way.

Same result. I thought it might be the juice, but the juice tastes fine in a dripper.

Next, I tore it apart and rebuilt it using 28ga Kanthal at .9 ohms and switched to Milk Man by One Hit Wonder. It tasted a bit better, but way in the background I detect the very faint lingering taste of what may be machine oil.

Anyone experience this with their Goblin Mini? I've never been sensitive to this, or even tasted machine oil on ANY tank or atomizer, and I've had a lot of them. If it is oil, what is the very best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to completely disassemble the deck and use the ultrasonic cleaner?

Help/suggestions appreciated.

I smelled the GMini clone and rinsed and mine was ready to rock. Sorry you got one with machine oil. Try Hot water with dawn dishwashing detergent let set 1/2 hourband rinse with Running water.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yeah, the positive 510 pin on all 3 of mine came with a heavy patina, even the first one I got back in July.

Interesting. I had chalked it up to being old stock. I also have well water in my house with heavy sulfer content. Just having that sulfer in the air messes with copper and brass so I'm always polishing something. But, usually they don't arrive with patina.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
GMinis are available in so many places, I am thinking they may well be coming out of more than one production line - and you may have gotten an oilier one!
For example, just on Fasttech, there's a bunch of clones at $8.88, a couple at $9.23, some at $11.38, and an authentic at $23.56.

Did you get the authentic?
Not that the authentic is NECESSARILY cleaner - just wondering (I may be buying one actually)...

Yes, authentic.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Can be that the machine oil is still in the posts? Unscrew all the posts and stick the parts in a cup with detergent :)

I may have to try this. I just cleaned it in the ultrasonic cleaner with the deck assembled. As suggested above - I never thought about the o-rings being contaminated with oil. After cleaning it I will install the spare o-rings.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
I was also wondering if the silicone plug may have picked up the oil taste/smell. I guess I will remove the plug and try it with a dual coil build and see what happens...after I clean it once more of course.
Good luck. Hope it works out better for you. This is a crackin little tank once you get it setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread