Whats your DIY mixing method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Mine involes sitting down and shaking bottles for like 15 mins and I always end up thinking theres got to be a better way than this.
Any of you found a better, less annoying way?
I started DIY just 3 days ago. I made a 30 ml batch with just one flavoring, a Capella product called cuppuccino. The percent I used was 3.5. I combined the liquids in a 120 ml bottle so there would be plenty of space to give it a shake. I started vaping it immediately. Over the past couple of days the color changed from off white to a very pale redish pinkish color. I give it another half hearted shake once in a while. I can't tell if it it's improving with time or not.

What's most interesting is I've completely lost interest in the commercially made flavor I was buying online in 240 ml bottles for $40 a pop. Once in a while I try that flavor and go right back to my DIY stuff. What I expected was creating a flavor I preferred to my commerical stuff would take a long time and a lot of fiddling. That expectation was dead wrong. My suspicion is the commercial stuff has a reletively high percent of flavoring and my body is more comfortable with a minimum amount of flavor. (I also avoid rich food.) I have doubts about the importance of the shaking and stiring rituals but it's a good workout for your forearms.

Is any more experienced DIYer reading this familiar with the flavor I describe? is 3.5% considered high or low or typical?

What's irresistable about this DIY thing is my daily cost for liquid went from 88 cents to 12 cents and I have the comfort of knowing there is a 3 1/2 year supply of nic in the freezer. I have zero interest in beccoming an e liquid gourmond.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Mine involes sitting down and shaking bottles for like 15 mins and I always end up thinking theres got to be a better way than this.
Any of you found a better, less annoying way?

I just combine the Ingredients in a Bottle and then Shake it for about 30 of 40 Seconds.

Not sure why it would need 15 Minutes of Shaking? But if that's what you think Works Best, then that's Cool.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I don't shake nothing. I made myself a DIY magnetic mixer and it works great. When I build a mix(by weight) I add my PG then flavoring and mix that for a few minutes on high. Warm up my VG base in some hot water to loosen up the VG then add it to the mix, set the mix spinning at a slower speed, set a timer for 2 hours and walk away. Rest the mix overnight to dissipate all the air bubbles then remix slowly for another hour. Steep my mix for a week or few, taste then add the nic and mix again slowly (avoid adding extra air) for another hour, sit a few days then enjoy. I build 60vg/40pg mixes and this method has produced some fine tasting juices as far as I'm concerned.

gliv52759

Dec 27, 2014
Hermitage, TN. USA
I don't shake nothing. I made myself a DIY magnetic mixer and it works great. When I build a mix(by weight) I add my PG then flavoring and mix that for a few minutes on high. Warm up my VG base in some hot water to loosen up the VG then add it to the mix, set the mix spinning at a slower speed, set a timer for 2 hours and walk away. Rest the mix overnight to dissipate all the air bubbles then remix slowly for another hour. Steep my mix for a week or few, taste then add the nic and mix again slowly (avoid adding extra air) for another hour, sit a few days then enjoy. I build 60vg/40pg mixes and this method has produced some fine tasting juices as far as I'm concerned.

Have you ever done a parallel test to this mixing/steeping method with just a vigorous shake. I did a test with my mix/steep method and I found the mixes both taste the same in end... the whisked and ultrasonic method just matured at least 7-10 days sooner. I tried this with several different batches.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I haven't done any sorta tests. I just go with the flow, mix away and enjoy. With the magnetic mixer I'm avoiding sitting there holding a frother or shaking thinking "is this enough". They could taste the same in the end but I let someone else test that out, all I know is that I think my juice is good and well blended.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
I used to use a drill but found out about 10-15 secs of shaking does the same IMO. Then I let time on my side and let them sit for a week in a dark, cool place.
Is any more experienced DIYer reading this familiar with the flavor I describe? is 3.5% considered high or low or typical?
Seems about typical for me anyway. Everyone is different and taste is subjective.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
I measure out my nic base, add in flavorings and then shake, add in my VG and shake then add in pg, if needed based on the mix I'm going for and shake for about a min.... If I remember, I'll take the top off and let it breathe for a bit and then shake again after an hour, then I'll let it sit for a few hours up to a day without the top.
I only started DIY a little over a week ago, so I'm still working things into a schedule.... I'll randomly shake the bottles for a few seconds throughout the day, I'll randomly squeeze the bottles to exchange the air....

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Mix, shake briskly for a minute, and vape.
I shake the bottle before every tank refill too.

My favorite method of steeping is to simply place the bottle on the dash of my car for about 10 minutes, or to simply keep the bottle in my car while I'm driving around on a warm summer day. If I'm going into a store for a few quick minutes I'll just put the bottle on the dash while I'm in the store.
It can get very hot there, so always VERY careful to not overdue it. It doesn't take much. Just enough to get the juice real warm (not hot). Shake briskly, and vape. Yum
20150930_125308.jpg

Reactions: Dixie1954
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread