DA Free Custard - Vomit Taste...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Wow I stand corrected sorry everyone. :oops: I do know some people think the original custards taste and smell like vomit. :confused: :pop:

No need to apologise, I am sorry if I sounded like a rear end in my response to your post though.
I am slightly jealous that you either have some of the delicious diketone custard or are immune to the replacement ingredient.

Reactions: Dixie1954

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Flavorah's Vanilla Custard is now on my 'to buy' list. I did see your thread of praise for it (I think it was you?), I was also thinking of getting their sweet coconut along with their milk & honey.
They have been getting some good reviews over on e-liquid recipes dot com.
Cool ! It might have been me on this forum. Flavorah is mostly on Reddit. Not many threads or posts on the ECF and their nemesis forum. I've had pretty good luck with Flavorah. I steeped the Blueberry Muffin. Tastes very good now. At first all I tasted was blueberry. Now I always have it in a device. Please let me now what the Milk N' Honey is like. Much appreciated ;)

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
You're def not alone! I wouldn't describe it as vomit, more like extreme sour milk. I've gotten that with Sweet Cream (tfa) and one Inawera Duet flavor called Strawberry Kiss. I was surprised at that since I like most of INW. It was nasty.

Good to know!
Yeah, rancid milk is a pretty close approximation. I also get it from Sweet Cream (TFA), but from the original version for some reason, although it doesn't seem to be as potent (in terms of the rancid smell) as with the FA Custard.

So, no amount of steeping gets rid of the nasty aroma?
There has got to be some way of neutralizing it, I will keep my fingers crossed that one of the manufacturers brings out a 'rancidness reducer' in their additives range...

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Cool ! It might have been me on this forum. Flavorah is mostly on Reddit. Not many threads or posts on the ECF and their nemesis forum. I've had pretty good luck with Flavorah. I steeped the Blueberry Muffin. Tastes very good now. At first all I tasted was blueberry. Now I always have it in a device. Please let me now what the Milk N' Honey is like. Much appreciated ;)

That is quite an accolade for the blueberry muffin flavour!
I will indeed keep you posted on the Milk & Honey flavour, it sounds heavenly, although I have been fooled in the past by descriptions *Cough*5Pawns*Cough*

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I see that Flavorah has "no added diacetyl", but what about that which is naturally occurring? And acetyl propionyl? They don't say a word about that. My understanding is that AP can be as potentially hazardous as diacetyl.

I'm interested in that blueberry muffin flavor, because I haven't been able to come up with an ejuice in that flavor myself, but the DA/AP elements concern me.

Andria

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I just added 2 drops of CAP's Sweet Cream to my husband's coffee this morning, to augment the 2% milk. Took a sniff, and yep, smells EXACTLY like I just poured real cream into it. Phenomenal flavor.

Andria

How did he say it tasted?

I might have to use my TFA Sweet Cream in the same way (along with my TFA Dairy/Milk), but for my cups of tea.
I realised that I have approx 800 Calories of Milk per day, so, this could help me no end!

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I see that Flavorah has "no added diacetyl", but what about that which is naturally occurring? And acetyl propionyl? They don't say a word about that. My understanding is that AP can be as potentially hazardous as diacetyl.

I'm interested in that blueberry muffin flavor, because I haven't been able to come up with an ejuice in that flavor myself, but the DA/AP elements concern me.

Andria
Then don't vape it. That's why he states contains traces of AP. So we can make our own choice. :)

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree

Andria

That kind of wording does annoy me (theirs, not yours), it is the same thing as 5P said about their juices, we all know how that one panned out...

I am with you on the understanding of AP being potentially equal to DA.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
How did he say it tasted?

I might have to use my TFA Sweet Cream in the same way (along with my TFA Dairy/Milk), but for my cups of tea.
I realised that I have approx 800 Calories of Milk per day, so, this could help me no end!

He didn't say, but I've tried it myself, and the taste is spot-on. I also add a few drops to eggs, mashed potatoes, and other foods where a creamy taste is desirable, but can't be achieved with 2% milk. I haven't tried TFA's Sweet Cream because of the diketones, but with CAP Sweet Cream being both diketone-free and absolutely authentic-tasting, I'll never need another brand of that flavor -- unless for some insane reason they ever change it.

Andria

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
DoubleEwe I am a sad DIYer I have exactly 2 flavorings out of 139 that I use daily in my all day vape. :lol: But as to the flavorings tasting bad none really did to me - they just are not being used because I can not stand vaping those for more than a few tokes. :cry: To top it all of I use tiny wee amounts of flavorings now that my taste buds are back(with a vengeance) I am 1 of those silly super tasters. :blink: I think my FA custard is the old kind also. :unsure: I am totally jealous of all the people who do lots of flavorings and juices. :wub: Hopefully you will find a custard you love. :thumbs:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
4% seems high for FA Custard but I only recently started playing with it so can't speak to the butryic acid note. Andria, try letting CAP VC v2 steep for about a month. It's delicious but it does take it a bit to steep out the plasticy/alcoholy taste.

Good god, NO! why would I want to steep for a month, when Vanilla Swirl tastes so good right at mix-time???

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Vanilla swirl is good but it doesn't have the custardy goodness note like CAP's. I use both for different purposes.

That's why I also add DX Bavarian. That CAP custard v2 is just plain disgusting, there's no way to "age out" that artificial flavor.

Andria

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
DoubleEwe I am a sad DIYer I have exactly 2 flavorings out of 139 that I use daily in my all day vape. :lol: But as to the flavorings tasting bad none really did to me - they just are not being used because I can not stand vaping those for more than a few tokes. :cry: To top it all of I use tiny wee amounts of flavorings now that my taste buds are back(with a vengeance) I am 1 of those silly super tasters. :blink: I think my FA custard is the old kind also. :unsure: I am totally jealous of all the people who do lots of flavorings and juices. :wub: Hopefully you will find a custard you love. :thumbs:

That is sad to hear :(
I am yet to find an ADV (after a year or so of DIY-ing), I am close with a few recipes, but none so far that I am truly happy with.
Most of the flavourings that I have tried just don't taste right to me, even with 1% or less (that is even with TFA) there are some 'off' notes.

Thanks for the well wishes for my custard quest.

I am also jealous of those people that seem to be able to happily vape almost anything.

What is it that makes you not be able to vape the flavours for more than a few tokes?

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
To me it is like eating constantly - sorta - hard to explain. :blink: I just do not like to constantly have a foods taste in my mouth. :unsure: When I am done with it I want it gone. ;) Obviously I am in the minority. :lol: P.S. my ADV mix only uses 0.30% total flavoring. :vapor:

OK, so you don't like a lingering aftertaste.
That is a crazy low percentage of flavouring! That is unless it is FA Condensed Milk flavour, that stuff is stronger than an Elephant on steroids.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the two ingredients in your 0.3% ADV?

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
I use Nude Nicotine's Honey Tobacco at 0.25% and add FlavourArt's Cuban Supreme at 0.05% and easily enough I named it Honey Tobacco Supreme. :thumbs: I used to do the FA Cuban Supreme at 2% stand alone and the NN Honey Tobacco at 0.5% stand alone before my buds came back. :p The main thing I am trying to convey is that we each can use very very diverse amounts of flavoring. My biggest mistake was trying them at wayyyyyy too big amounts for me. :blush: So if the flavoring seems to be weird, sometimes it may be too much flavoring. It was in my case. :vapor: YMMV

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
I am not sure what you are referring to in your first sentence, I am fully aware of the general rule of thumb differences between brands along with each specific flavouring requiring its own percentage. Thanks for your concern though.

Over here (in the UK) our lemons smell like lemons, I am not sure what they are selling you locally, but you need to find another lemon vendor if you can confuse their smell with vomit.
I knew that the profile of FA Custard was more of a lemony cream flavour before I ordered it, that is what appealed to me in all honesty.

As for FA not changing their custard, I think you may well be wrong on this one.
Their original version had diketones in it (the version I was wanting), but now the custard they sell does not contain diketones, so I am pretty sure that they have changed their ingredients.
This was confirmed by the official UK FA vendor on another forum, he confirmed it in July this year, but I do not know when exactly they reformulated their recipe, nor how many vendors are still carrying the old custard stock.
So, this might explain why you do not get the vomit smell, you may have the old diketone rich custard, or you are not sensitive to it (butyric acid), similar to some people noticing it in the Capella V2 Custard and some saying it tastes just the same as the old one.

FWIW - I found a UK FA post back in July 2014 that said "None of the FlavourArt flavourings on the FlavourArt UK website use Diacetyl, Acetoin, or Acetyl Propionyl." I didn't look back further, but I believe FA was at the forefront of avoiding DA/AP. The comment in July 2015 from UK FA seemed to refer to the need to steep (citrus fade and custard come through) rather than a recent reformulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread