Not open for further replies.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Guess what????
Its STILL raining damnit!!!

Looks like we're about to catch a bunch here too. There's a tropical storm that's supposed to move in offshore and upwind of us that's supposed to bring in a bunch of rain. Flood advisory has been posted already for the Big Island and it started raining here maybe an hour ago.

It's all good though. It's been a few weeks since we had a good rain here and we should keep our trades for awhile so it should be on the cooler side.

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
N.gif

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
Happy Sunday morning to all the Airheads.
I feel sorry for all of you that are stuck in the rain and are having power issues. Not fun at all. We've had rain here for several days, too - though probably not related to Joaquin. It appears the joyful, sunny, pleasant days of summer are gone for a long time. :nah: Aren't I just a ray of sunshine? DANG!

LostVapeMonster

The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Land of the Lost
Although the jury may still be out, it's generally thought that Ni coils aren't safe at high temps, which is why peeps were trying to warn you off of using TC coils in VW mode. But it's your body, so whatever.
I posted that because I was told those coils don't work in VW - not because I warned about not doing it. I can't get my TC coil to work well in TC mode so I'll just stick with VW.

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I posted that because I was told those coils don't work in VW - not because I warned about not doing it. I can't get my TC coil to work well in TC mode so I'll just stick with VW.
You are not alone in that club. I am less than impressed with TC, muted flavor, sub-standard vapor...

LostVapeMonster

The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Land of the Lost
You are not alone in that club. I am less than impressed with TC, muted flavor, sub-standard vapor...
Oh, I have found just the opposite when it comes to the flavor. It seems MUCH better to me with the TC coils. Just so inconsistent in the TC mode on the iStick. VW mode seems to be great with the new coil I put in, so far...

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
Since I enjoy the original Air coils recoiled, I don't think TC is in my future anytime soon.
I don't want to invest in new wire and a more difficult rebuild process for the TC coils for any
minimal improvement I might get. If I were to do that, I would return to RTA's. :(
And I hated my RTA's! Too convenient to rebuild a bunch of coils and pop a new
one in every once in while. Minimal cost, maximum convenience!

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
VW mode seems to be great with the new coil I put in

listen up, lost! ;)
tc coils are not meant to be run out of tc mode. as far as i know there has been no safety testing done for those coils in vw. if you still want to use them this way, fine! as long as you are aware of the possible risk.
evolv did quite a bit of testing on nickel coils when they developed the tc chip but i have no idea what the parameters were and how they might relate to vw.

GranFumador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Peoples' Bucolic Republic of Maine
Elvie Emm—and others who may be tempted to try Ni coils designed for tc vaping in vw mode— Please reconsider until you are armed with knowledge.

I have spent hours trying to track down reliable, or even not so reliable, scientific sources that support claims made in this and other vaping forums that vw mode with tc coils is "dangerous". Haven't found any yet. But that does not mean it's safe.

Why do I say that? I've learned just a little about the metals involved. Kanthal wire
stays fairly consistent in its resistance as it is heated. There is some variation, but not much. Ni wire behaves differently. In simple terms, as it heats up, the resistance changes. This creates the possibility that the metal will vaporize if it gets too hot.
I don't know for sure that this happens, nor have I found medical literature addressing the effects of inhaling Ni compounds, but I would prefer not to be the guinea pig.

I get annoyed at people who flat out declare, "It's dangerous!" without giving any sources for such assertions. By sources, I don't mean forum opinions, quoting reddit remarks, sourced from my old buddy Jack on his facebook page. That's not science; it's fearmongering.

Please note that the lack of evidence of danger does not imply safety. There are unanswered questions about the safety of vw for Ni coils. Please be prudent.
If you are not sure what happens when you apply a constant voltage to a Ni wire, are you sure you want to inhale the result?

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
:2c:

it’s computing (the onboard chip regulates)
not reading an actual temperature
but a scale of ‘known constants’
you could call it what ever you want
TEMP / A,B,C,D / 1,2,3,4 / COW, HORSE, DOG –
when a certain set watt/power/resistance is reached
(a set Known Parameter)
the on board chip ‘limits’ the output (TC)

kanthal is designed to ‘maintain’ a constant resistance
by the parameter set from AWG and wire length
the board just outputs the power (watts) setting

Ni & Ti are different in they ‘vary’ the resistance as power is applied
(the reason you LOCK in a new cold Ni/Ti coil resistance)

I know NOTHING about this stuff, this is just what I picked up reading
so it is just my opinion , or at least how I think I Understand it…

:blink:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I'm much less impressed with temperature control on the 40W istick than I am on the eVic. I love TC on the eVic, not so much on the istick. :(
I kind of like the vape I get from my iStick 40w + GS-MS w/TC coil and I've been looking at (well sorta drooling over) the Evic VTC Mini (love the screen). In your opinion, how is the TC vape on the Evic better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread