Status
Not open for further replies.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
You are not going to fit a larger battery inside the Battery case alone just like Dwcraig1 said. I only pulled the battery side because all I had to do was lift the sicker tab just above the JST to get to the phillips screw holding the cover on. The mod side I didn't want to pull yet in case fasttech wants it sent back to them due to the Bad battery cell in the lipo.

I was thinking that you may be able to modify the Case on both the Battery and mod side to house a slightly larger 3s battery in there between both sides of the cases by removing most of the separating panels while leaving only the bottom pieces on each side to secure the battery connectors and the JST. On the battery side goes, you would have to cut the cover off just above the connectors and Mounting screw but your maximum size would be able to fit lengthwise would be about 71mm x 22mm wide. The Depth of the Battery case side without the cover only is about 30mm. Modifying the Mod side cover in the same manner would only give you about 2-2.5mm before you ran smack into the 510. It would be a lot of modifications just to fit a 71mm x 32mm x 22mm max. Would not really give you what you are looking for.

The 3S 1300mah Turnigy is approximately 71mmx34.5mmx22.4mm and the only shot you might have of fitting that in there would be if you replaced the 510 as well with an Evolv Reference mod 510, a FDV or VT shorty and replaced the back board mount studs with screws or nuts as needed. Even then it would be doubtful you could fit it in there unless you eliminated the stock battery pins in favor of an XT30 and hot glued magnet rods on both sides of the JST to hold the base of the compartments together.

Lot of effort, very questionable outcome without confirmation of measurements in the control panel compartment itself. Best I can do off the top of my head.

ysljz.jpg

lyqwx.jpg

IMG_20150927_105315_zpskbcy6jxl.jpg

Probably better off getting a spare battery case & swapping out as needed.

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
So here is a little something I have noticed that I don't care for. The two banana plugs start in before the balance connector, if the square edges of the balance connectors catch instead of going together and if they are forced together there may be a chance of breaking the end of the board. Next time I separate mine I'm going to bevel the corners of the male balance connector with a small file so it will center it's self better into the female part.
As indicated by red arrow:
12063373_1079705418720348_7945846398828079934_n.jpg
Oh, I did do what I said above about filing off the square edges of the JST , this worked nicely. Also I removed the paper (label) from on top of the screw located just above the negative pin of the mod, it was just thick enough to keep the two halves from coming together flush.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
It seems this is slightly shorter and less deep than the opus 200 but wider. A big thing for me given how sensitive the Evolv chip is - how is the 510 connector. I'm about to go back through the thread after reading a few pages to try and get s sense of the verdict on this. I have one on order but I'm not sure if I should keep it. The talk of batteries is concerning me. The size looks about he same as he vs but the talk Of It feeling much bigger is bothering me. And finally that hideous logo is bothering me.

How much needs to be changed in escribe with this. Has anyone done the case temp change as I doubt that was handled properly if the batteries weren't. I'm living in a place where it hits 12 degrees so not having the case temp done right is a mistake. Is it necessary with this mod? Outside of buying a really expensive charger is there any way to regulate the batteries to proper charging when split from
The mod? The charger linked earlier - I didn't see the price but it has to cost s fortune.

Even st $125 shipped expedited with insurance from the $115 gear best deal I'm not sure if this mod is worth it based on this thread. Especially not if you need a $100 charger to charge the batteries off mod.

How many of you would buy it again knowing the issues ? Over something like the vapor shark

Last edited:

jentz

Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Reno
It seems this is slightly shorter and less deep than the opus 200 but wider. A big thing for me given how sensitive the Evolv chip is - how is the 510 connector. I'm about to go back through the thread after reading a few pages to try and get s sense of the verdict on this. I have one on order but I'm not sure if I should keep it. The talk of batteries is concerning me. The size looks about he same as he vs but the talk Of It feeling much bigger is bothering me. And finally that hideous logo is bothering me.

How much needs to be changed in escribe with this. Has anyone done the case temp change as I doubt that was handled properly if the batteries weren't. I'm living in a place where it hits 12 degrees so not having the case temp done right is a mistake. Is it necessary with this mod? Outside of buying a really expensive charger is there any way to regulate the batteries to proper charging when split from
The mod? The charger linked earlier - I didn't see the price but it has to cost s fortune.

Even st $125 shipped expedited with insurance from the $115 gear best deal I'm not sure if this mod is worth it based on this thread. Especially not if you need a $100 charger to charge the batteries off mod.

How many of you would buy it again knowing the issues ? Over something like the vapor shark

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
True I guess if I hate it it can turn into my first diy project.

Could always piece together boxer casing without the chip too. I love the 3D printed stuff. I think you can buy that stuff separately right? Isn't there a page with all the 3D printed cases designed for stuff?

I don't have the ability to machine stuff. So I can't imagine a solution where I don't find a case already made for the screen. But I've only built a boxer not a mod from the ground up so I have no idea what most people
Do for cases.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Really the vs is too thin? Is it thinner than the opus? My mods sit just flush on the opus. I have to send the opus back as soon as I can get s damn ride to the post office as I've agreed to return it and I would like to keep a mod that can do stainless steel temp control. It works fine outside of temp control but I'm really only interested in temp control mods right now. I wish the ipv d2 chip programmers had the foresight to do ss

Ive got literally 2500 ft of 28 gauge coming. lol. It was twice price of 150 ft.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Don't need an expensive charger for this I've been looking at the imax B6AC V2 seems it would be perfectly fine though might have to buy an extension cable for the balance charger port which I'm sure you can get, sorry I've only just started looking into it so not totally up on it all yet. Friend is lending me one of his dna200's he got last week so I can see how I get on with it not sure which one but know it won't be a VS as he loves them too much and I hate them as equally lol.

amdnikos

Oct 3, 2015
Imo there is no reason to bother for aftermarket chargers since the evolve circuit is perfect for charging the device itself. If and ever hotcig give spare batteries on this device then we can talk again. I have already a genuine imax b6 that according to escribe it overcharge a bit the cells like 4.23-4.21-4.24 while the charge via usb gives me a perfect 4.20 to all cells.

Reactions: Roadshaker

amdnikos

Oct 3, 2015
lipo 3s balanced charge in profile. It shots 1.9ah while charging and charge completed 27 mins later. After charge completed i check voltages via escribe and it overcharge all cells a bit, while charge via usb gives the perfect voltage equal to all cells. Its not imax fault. Even my icharger 206b 300w charger use to overcharge a bit my batteries on my hexacopter.

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
lipo 3s balanced charge in profile. It shots 1.9ah while charging and charge completed 27 mins later. After charge completed i check voltages via escribe and it overcharge all cells a bit, while charge via usb gives the perfect voltage equal to all cells. Its not imax fault. Even my icharger 206b 300w charger use to overcharge a bit my batteries on my hexacopter.

I get "Connect Error Check Main Port" error msg.

Guess I need a 3S balanced connector to the +/- Output ports, eh?

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Hmm i didnt got you. If you try to charge via balance port only its normal to get this error. You have to connect +- too with bullets or crocodile clips. Beware of polarity too. + is red and - is black. But as i said there is really no reason to charge from an external charger, except if you have multiple spare batteries.

Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread