Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
I want to vape on my mods not have them out of rotation while they charge or be tethered to a charging cable so for me a lipo charger and a mod that allows me to easily replace battery's is important. I realise there are many who don't feel the same but it's how I want my mods and battery's.

Reactions: Landman

Landman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Central AR
Imo there is no reason to bother for aftermarket chargers since the evolve circuit is perfect for charging the device itself. If and ever hotcig give spare batteries on this device then we can talk again. I have already a genuine imax b6 that according to escribe it overcharge a bit the cells like 4.23-4.21-4.24 while the charge via usb gives me a perfect 4.20 to all cells.

lipo 3s balanced charge in profile. It shots 1.9ah while charging and charge completed 27 mins later. After charge completed i check voltages via escribe and it overcharge all cells a bit, while charge via usb gives the perfect voltage equal to all cells. Its not imax fault. Even my icharger 206b 300w charger use to overcharge a bit my batteries on my hexacopter.

Have you tried charging it on the iMax B6 at 1C rating? I've not charged a 900mah battery on my B6 v2 but on the 1000mah zippy batteries like the Boxer uses, I keep it at .9ah which is just under the 1C rating and it's never charged over 4.20v. From 20-30% it charges to 100% in about 35-45 minutes. If you were charging the Hotcig battery at 1.9a that would put it just over a 2C rating, and while the battery might be able to handle it, I wonder if that could cause the overcharge.

I think the built in charging circuit is perfect as long as you're keeping it around 1000-1300mah but you go over that and it starts looking really slow.

I want to vape on my mods not have them out of rotation while they charge or be tethered to a charging cable so for me a lipo charger and a mod that allows me to easily replace battery's is important. I realise there are many who don't feel the same but it's how I want my mods and battery's.

I've used the Opus, Boxer lipo version, and Hotcig and that's why I built a big DIY brick that would hold a 2200mah 3S lipo. I can't stand having to be tethered to a cable, even if I'm just sitting there watching TV. I think about 1800mah would be the minimum I could get by with and it would have to be 100% when I started and would be down to 20% at most, probably lower, at the end of the day.

Reactions: jazzvaper

amdnikos

Oct 3, 2015
Have you tried charging it on the iMax B6 at 1C rating? I've not charged a 900mah battery on my B6 v2 but on the 1000mah zippy batteries like the Boxer uses, I keep it at .9ah which is just under the 1C rating and it's never charged over 4.20v. From 20-30% it charges to 100% in about 35-45 minutes. If you were charging the Hotcig battery at 1.9a that would put it just over a 2C rating, and while the battery might be able to handle it, I wonder if that could cause the overcharge.

I think the built in charging circuit is perfect as long as you're keeping it around 1000-1300mah but you go over that and it starts looking really slow.

I've used the Opus, Boxer lipo version, and Hotcig and that's why I built a big DIY brick that would hold a 2200mah 3S lipo. I can't stand having to be tethered to a cable, even if I'm just sitting there watching TV. I think about 1800mah would be the minimum I could get by with and it would have to be 100% when I started and would be down to 20% at most, probably lower, at the end of the day.
Well the 2ah charging is on start, if you notice when the voltage raises the mah keeps decreasing. I got like 100mah when the voltage goes at 4.18. When charging ends charger reports 4.20 at each cell, but when i connect the box in escribe it reports overvoltage charge. Dunno what is more accurate though. Anyway when i charge with usb it caps at 4.20 exactly.

Landman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Central AR
Well the 2ah charging is on start, if you notice when the voltage raises the mah keeps decreasing. I got like 100mah when the voltage goes at 4.18. When charging ends charger reports 4.20 at each cell, but when i connect the box in escribe it reports overvoltage charge. Dunno what is more accurate though. Anyway when i charge with usb it caps at 4.20 exactly.
Interesting... I'm going to have to connect the Boxer to EScribe after I charge it on the imax next time and see what it says. AFAIK, I've never put a new battery in and then connect to EScribe and look at it.

Reactions: amdnikos

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK

that's the reason i decided to stick with the yihi boxer mod... i use it as a secondary hich extends all my other times but requires changing batteries like every three days. as i understand it evolv is releasin a 75w version of this chip for dual 18650 mods....anyone using temp control..i don't get why people are using settings they are.

it seems like a very weird decision to me to go with 200 watts and stick it with lipo maybe someone can point out a scenario when they're using more than max 40 watts in temp control, because i see people saying they keep preheat super high and then blast their coils with 150 watts but looking at the actual output in escribe there is nothing i can see that needs more than 40 starting or preheat and after initial heating it takes like 7 watts to maintain temp.. so what's the need for 200 watts? if you aren't using temp control then why bother with this chip at all

to the above are you saying you can use 2 amp charging via the mod? evolv said its not made for that, and i tested a bunch, nothing puts more than an amp into it via mod charging.. sorry i'm a little lost on what is being said here.

jiphone

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2013
Suffolk Co, NY
Low gauge, clapton, quad coils, etc. would be the reason for the high wattage.
that's the reason i decided to stick with the yihi boxer mod... i use it as a secondary hich extends all my other times but requires changing batteries like every three days. as i understand it evolv is releasin a 75w version of this chip for dual 18650 mods....anyone using temp control..i don't get why people are using settings they are.

it seems like a very weird decision to me to go with 200 watts and stick it with lipo maybe someone can point out a scenario when they're using more than max 40 watts in temp control, because i see people saying they keep preheat super high and then blast their coils with 150 watts but looking at the actual output in escribe there is nothing i can see that needs more than 40 starting or preheat and after initial heating it takes like 7 watts to maintain temp.. so what's the need for 200 watts? if you aren't using temp control then why bother with this chip at all

to the above are you saying you can use 2 amp charging via the mod? evolv said its not made for that, and i tested a bunch, nothing puts more than an amp into it via mod charging.. sorry i'm a little lost on what is being said here.

Landman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Central AR

I like the DNA200 for the accuracy and perfectly smooth vape. I have 2 SXmini's and a yihi Boxer and while you can use them with Ti in Ni mode or on Ti mode, you're guess-timating where the temp is and I can't stand the sound when it regulates temp, as well as the menu. I'd much rather configure it once on the computer and have 8 profiles that I can access within a few clicks. I also have all my preheat's set to 50w or below, vape watts in the mid to high 20 range... except on the aromamizer - that thing needs 60w preheat and around 50w the way I have it built.

For me, it's not that I'm blasting high preheat or have the wattage set high. I take lots of short puffs... ~22ml/day. The main reason is both my wife and I work from home, so I have too much time to vape which ends up chugging through lots of juice. That's why I need a high lipo battery. On the yihi boxer, I was around 1.5 pairs of batteries per day - HG2's. And while it's easy to pop in new batteries, the discharge curve on a lipo is much better. I could tell when the 18650's would hit about 40% because of the sag.

Compared to the DNA40, there were definitely things I liked better with the yihi chip, but with how I vape, it's not in the same ballpark as the DNA200... and that's why they're coming out with their answer to the DNA200 at the end of the year!

Reactions: jazzvaper

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD

There is the dual 18650 DNA 200 boxer. Its limited to 133W, but its dual 18650 that you like. The DNA200 boards can use 2S, so dual 18650s, or a 2S lipo, and will automatically be limited to 133W.

crshsnwmn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
N.E. Indiana
Ran case analyzer this morning
case analyzer dx200.png

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Ran case analyzer this morning
View attachment 495967
I used the settings from my Opus, which are very different than yours thinking they would be closer than if Hotcig didn't do them at all. My battery is always close to full charge so I need to run it down first to run the test.
So what was your room temp?

So in the morning I will do the battery analyzer which will get my battery down and then run case analyzer when the battery gets back up to 1/4 charge.

Last edited:

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Sorry I think I explained badly. That's what I've kept my boxer in addition to other items. Jist for he long life. I agree they need to sort out their temp control material and I really hope they don't end up screwing people by not upgrading software to try and force hardware. Hopefully I can get a ne chip and upgrade my boxer if needed.

crshsnwmn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
N.E. Indiana
I used the settings from my Opus, which are very different than yours thinking they would be closer than if Hotcig didn't do them at all. My battery is always close to full charge so I need to run it down first to run the test.
So what was your room temp?

So in the morning I will do the battery analyzer which will get my battery down and then run case analyzer when the battery gets back up to 1/4 charge.

Room temp was 70 (verified with the temperature probe on my multimeter), battery was just under half. Expect it to take 3 - 4 hours to run the case analyzer test.
I'm interested in seeing others results also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread