Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
maonin', Voltville.

Looks like we're scheduled of a hurricane, or should that be personcane to be PC? It's definitely cooler today but it's still wet outside from lots of moisture streaming northeast that isn't associated with the personcane. Lots of wind, too. Now, the computer models are showing it staying further off the coast rather than coming ashore on the southern NJ coast around AC. I'll be battening down and making sure the generator is in proper running condition, just in case.

Yeah, we could have bought a pickup truck with what the vet bills have been, but he's worth it. His appetite is back to normal, at least it was at breakfast, and that's a good sign. He's taking more meds than the both of us combined and, thankfully, takes them all with his food so it's not a fight to get them into him. It's nice having him following me around the house and snoozing nearby. Funny how pets become such an integral, and important, part of life.

Sure is. Glad to hear he's doing well.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Good morning Voltnics.

We have a chance of showers today. Nice!

I'm so glad Bo is doing better, awsum.

It is funny how pets are such an integral part of our lives.

Thank you for the kind words about my little Penny Poo Poo everyone. I miss her. The house seems kind of large and empty without her.

I'm going to play with the new pony today if it isn't windy and rainy. He could really use some grooming. We shall see how it goes. I could swear he already looks a bit plumper and a bit shinier than when I got him:) Also, I think I will walk Wiseguy around the yard a bit.

Other than that, the big plans for the day are to go to the neighbor's house to make photocopies of the flyer I created for the water co-op. Also, work on the camping food and camping clothes.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
OMG It is actually raining. So nice. Poor Glitch is standing in the rain but at least he doesn't look too upset. The big dogs all insisted on coming in when we got a few thunderclaps:)

Glitch update: The new pony and I are making progress in small steps. Today I made sure his ears were up and forwards before I dumped his food into his feeder. Didn't take long.

I hung out with Glitch for awhile this morning. Then, mid morning, I came back with some apple treats. I got him over to me but then he started obsessing over treats. We sparred a bit over that and I safely got the clip onto his halter. His next treat went into a bucket so he isn't getting treats from my hand.

I led him around a bit, praising him and releasing the tension on the lead for each try on the forward movement. I kept it short and it went well.

I let him off the lead and got out of the pen. He followed me to the gate but didn't rush the gate. I hung out on the sidelines and gave him treats in his bucket.

The treats were gone but I hung out some more and he starts putting his head through the bars and acting like "I might bite". I'm outside the fence but I make him back up just using the pressure from putting my hand up and waving him back gently. The moment he steps back, I let the pressure off and tell him he is a good boy.

That works for a couple, three times and he pushes his luck. I wave the rope in my hand at him. He breaks off and turns away. We did that a couple of times.

Frankly, I think it went really well. He is moving his feet and I am not moving my feet. Yes, he is trying to see if he can buffalo me but, he didn't, and I handled it really well. I have a feeling that we will end up good friends.

He is less worried and less tense today and gaining confidence with me and his surroundings. The "I might bite" will lessen as we work through who is boss. It isn't taking me being super woman to work with him. Also, all treats will be given in a bucket once he connects the whistle with coming to me and getting hooked up. That will keep the grabbing for treats way down on his list.

In addition, he whinnies every time I come in the main gate which he can see from his round pen. Kind of cute.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

How is Bo this morning, awsum?

It is 54 degrees out and rainy. It rained a lot yesterday. I am thrilled.

The new horse has no shelter but he looks fine this morning. It doesn't look like it will be really cold for the next couple of weeks. Once he is gelded and recovering, I'll have to see what I can do to get the new guy introduced to the goats [goats can be scary:)] and the horse pen with Wiseguy.

I don't have extra rails and I don't have money for extra rails so I'll have to see what I can do to move part of the round pen. Of course, that leaves me without a round pen which is not good. Maybe a neighbor has a few extra rails I could borrow? I'll have to ask around.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
moanin', Voltville.

Thanks for asking, Lizzie. Bo seems to be doing pretty well. He's down to drinking his normal amounts of water and is eating well. His right hind leg, where the ACL was repaired and the joint tap was just taken, seems to be giving him some soreness so we're going easy with his walks.

It's raining here, too, and has been raining since early this morning. It's supposed to get heavy this afternoon and keep raining through Monday. At least it looks like Joaquin will pass by well off the coast but we will be getting rain and wind from him on Monday, according to the weather guessers.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Awsum, how's the storm treating you? I hope it's not too bad. I think they are worried because of Hurricane Sandy doing so much damage. Maybe this won't be so bad, but no one wants to take chances and be unprepared.

Tutoring: Today, the new girl read something about Halloween that I chose since that holiday is coming up, and the kids are all excited about it. The passage mentioned saying, "Trick or treat," and the girl said, "No, it's trickle treat!" I argued with her a while about how she heard it wrong, but she refused to be convinced. She is a stubborn little thing. I think I'll ask her friend, the girl I've been tutoring a while, to set her straight. Maybe the new girl will believe her friend. She sure likes to argue with me!

On the plus side, I think she has a photographic memory, or close to it. Last lesson, I had her read a short paragraph, then covered it with my hand and asked her to tell me what it was about. She repeated it word-for-word. Sure, it was only 3 or 4 sentences long, but she had never seen it before, read it once, then recited it back to me. I was amazed and told her so, and mentioned that she might have a photographic memory. I said that it meant you could memorize things very easily. But I asked her if she really understood what the passage said. I asked her questions and had her explain it in her own words, and she did understand it. I think sometimes people with photographic memories can repeat things without understanding them, so I wanted to be sure. I do notice that she tends to read silently at a glance, a kind of speed reading, and often gets detail words wrong or anticipates what the next word will be and says it w/o reading the actual next word. I'm trying to get her to slow down and see the actual words. Recently, there was one where the actual word and the one she imagined meant different things, and I pointed out to her that she can get confused by not reading the actual word. She's definitely got a different way of thinking, which I find interesting. I want her to improve in accuracy without killing that other talent for thinking outside the box. It's treading a fine line. I hope I can do it w/o killing the way she thinks.

The girl who I've been tutoring a while started Chapt. 4 of the Mowgli stories, but we spent a lot of time chatting, so we only read the first page. What we chatted about was her homework reading about bats and how they use echolocation. She asked if a person could do that. If she closed her eyes, could she sense where she was by echoes? I said I doubted that she was practiced enough to really do it, but I told her a story about a blind woman I knew when I was a kid. She was a friend of my parents. I was fascinated by her, because she was the only blind person I knew, and I was curious about it. We were walking together down a city street one day, and she said to me, "I know we're getting close to the street, so you have to tell me when we get to the curb so I know to step down." I was amazed. "How do you know we're getting close to a street?" I asked. She said that as we walked and talked, she could hear the echoes off the buildings surrounding us, but when we got to the cross street, the echoes stopped. I was amazed and tried to hear the echoes off the buildings, but I couldn't. I learned that people who have lost a sense, like sight, develop their other senses more to make up for it, and they perceive things the rest of us don't notice. The girl was fascinated by this story. I wonder if she'll do what I did, which is walk around with my eyes closed and try to sense things by echolocation. I bumped into a lot of furniture in my house before I gave it up. And then I told her about a book I read about a blind person who learned to feel coins and tell what they were. A quarter is bigger, so that's easy, but a dime and a penny are pretty much the same size. But a dime has a rough edge, and a penny doesn't, and the person in the book could feel the coins and tell. I took out a dime and penny from my wallet and had the girl close her eyes and feel the difference. She did it. Then she asked how you could feel the difference between bills, and I said I doubted you could, so she tried a one and a five and got them wrong. Then we went back to our lessons, but I think that conversation wasn't exactly wasted time. But then the little boy came in with a toy. It was a compass, the kind you draw circles with, not the kind you find directions from. Neither kid knew what it was for, so I showed them how it worked, how you put a pencil in it and made a really nice circle with it. This compass wasn't a very good one. The point that marks the center was blunt plastic, and it strayed easily, so the kids, when they tried it, didn't get nice even circles, but they got the idea. They were thrilled to know its name and what it was for.

So back to the lesson, and that's why we didn't get much of Chapt. 4 read.

I started the older boy on learning to use Google Maps or MapQuest to find out how to get from here to there. I like MapQuest better these days, though I always used to like Google Maps. I told him this, and he tried both and agreed. I don't know why they "improved" Google Maps and now it can't do what it used to. There's no telling what's in people's minds sometimes.

So the boy was interested in the routes and times it'd take to get from his school to the restaurant, and he looked at "walking," "driving," and "biking." He asked if they had one for running, and I said they didn't, but if he could run the whole way, it might be something like the biking one. It's a mile, and I asked him if he could run a mile without stopping, and he thought he couldn't. Also, he has to get to his violin lesson in 20 minutes, and the biking option said 18 minutes. He said he'd need time to catch his breath after running a mile, so he doubted he could make his lesson on time. Maybe this isn't making deliveries for the restaurant, but calculating the time it takes to get from here to there is a start, and this was something he chose, so he was very interested in how it worked and finding the answers.

Next time, I looked up 5 Ithaca addresses in the phone book at random and he will have to find out how to get from the new restaurant location to them and write down the directions. With my help, of course.

Did I mention it? The restaurant is moving a few blocks away to a new location! It's been a big thing for the kids' parents. They are renting the place they have now, but bought property to open their restaurant, since the property they're renting may be torn down in a year or so for new buildings. And they have had complaints about the landlord not fixing things and the old restaurant equipment, so the kids' mom ordered all new stoves and such, and they are opening at their new location next week! It's been a long haul and an expense, but I think they will be happier having control over their own property. They have gone through so much getting the place ready. It's not just the fixing up of the building, but things like the EPA wanting soil analysis because it used to be a car dealership. (Thousands of dollars for that.) Then they had some professionals come paint parking lines in the parking areas outside, plus a handicapped spot with the proper symbol in blue. (Over a thousand for that.) And at the last moment, the building inspector said they couldn't open unless their handicapped spot also had a sign! So Thursday, instead of picking his son up from school as usual, the father was off, miles away, buying a sign, which he had to call around to even find out where he could buy one. I got there Thurs. and waited almost an hour for the father to get back with the keys to the house so we could all go there from the restaurant and I could tutor the kids. And the boy never was picked up after school. They had me headed out to get him a half hour late when he showed up because a teacher had driven him home. In the backseat of my car, his mother-in-law was yelling in her cell phone in Chinese at the kids' dad, probably for not getting his son from school. Or maybe for taking the keys with him. I don't know. So we waited in a loading zone with 15-minute parking and the dad finally arrived with the keys.

So you can see that getting the new place ready has been an adventure for the parents, and I just sampled a small part of the frenzy on Thurs. I think the parents have been coping like this for months.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
moanin', Vo;talytes.

Opening a new restaurant, with all the inspections and "little Hitlers" AKA inspectors, is a real challenge. The costs have become astronomical and I have a lot of sympathy for the parents, Sandy. A friend of mine ended up jumping through hoops with an inspector who told him the water outlet for a washing machine was too high. When he moved it to where the inspector told him it should be he was told it was too low. The inspector needed a little green, folding, incentive to get him to approve it.

That's cool that the new girl seems to have a photographic memory. I went to school with a girl who had a photographic memory. Like you say, she could remember anything, completely, by rote, that she looked at but she didn't always understand/comprehend what she saw and remembered. Over time, she learned how to process all that information better and to say she was a stellar student is an understatement.

Joaquin is staying way off the coast so there's no real hurricane threat. There is still the problem of high tides and rough surf though. It's been raining her for three days, straight, now but is supposed to stop later this morning. The wind has been constantly high with gusts into the 40 and 50 mph range. That, combined with the rain, has wrecked havoc especially along the shore. It's from a "tapped" low pressure area that's caught between a high to our north, Joaquin to the south and the jet stream being very far north. A few houses have been washed away at the Jersey shore, but the worst is in South Carolina with really heavy rain, 12 to 18 inches in that three day time period. Hopefully, things will improve as Joaquin moves north and further out to sea and that high moves east to let the low move as well.

We're hoping the rain lets up today so we can take Bo to a doggy event at the fairgrounds nearby. He's really been housebound with the weather and being sick, so it would be good for him. He loves car rides and the treats he gets at events like that.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

We had a great rummage sale yesterday. Talked to lots of neighbors about our well co-op. Made a couple of hundred dollars.

Very interesting about the Chinese restaurant moving., SandySu.

It rained and rained since yesterday afternoon. I feel a little sorry for Glitch since he has no shelter. He is fine, I'm sure, since he got all wet on one other night and wasn't shivering in the morning..... but I will make sure I feed him right away this morning. Hope everyone has a great week:)

canevar

Sep 28, 2015
Speaking of fish, one day a teenage boy came to our gate at the summer place. He held a huge (when he held it up, its tail dragged on the ground) silver fish by the gills and asked if we wanted a chunk of it, which my FIL negotiated. It was cooked on the grill over olive branches (which make really tasty grilled food compared to charcoal brickettes), and it was absolutely wonderful: firm white meat alomost like shrimp or lobster tail but more tender. I asked what kind of fish it was, and they said Turuncu (pronounced turunju). I've been wanting to know what kind of fish this was ever since, and no, it wasn't a goldfish (turuncu means orange). It was very large and silver. I might think it was a bluefish, but I think it was more silver than gray, like the bluefish I've seen in the Atlantic Ocean. The meat was firmer, too. Anyone have any ideas?

Never heard that fish, maybe it was a local nickname during the time. Maybe it is extinct now. Was it this?, right top corner, it is called cipura, in Izmir they eat this a lot http://i.radikal.com.tr/150x113/2011/03/10/fft16_mf679732.Jpeg

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

We had a great rummage sale yesterday. Talked to lots of neighbors about our well co-op. Made a couple of hundred dollars.

Very interesting about the Chinese restaurant moving., SandySu.

It rained and rained since yesterday afternoon. I feel a little sorry for Glitch since he has no shelter. He is fine, I'm sure, since he got all wet on one other night and wasn't shivering in the morning..... but I will make sure I feed him right away this morning. Hope everyone has a great week:)

One option is to get a rain sheet for Glitch. Its like a horse blanket, but it doesn't have the stuffing to keep a horse warm, just a waterproof shell, like a raincoat for humans. It will keep his body dry but not his neck and head, but the body is what's most likely to get cold. I've read that a horse can get wet down to 40º and not suffer, but lower than that, he'll need some sort of protection. Rain sheets are cheap. I got one for Penny on eBay for about $30. Do they make them in mini sizes? I think they must, though I never looked into it.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Never heard that fish, maybe it was a local nickname during the time. Maybe it is extinct now. Was it this?, right top corner, it is called cipura, in Izmir they eat this a lot http://i.radikal.com.tr/150x113/2011/03/10/fft16_mf679732.Jpeg

Welcome canevar! You are reading way back! Actually, I think the fish looked more slender like the palamar. Could that be it? Are you Turkish? I assume you're familiar with Turkey and the Izmir area to know what kind of fish they eat. Tell us about yourself.

canevar

Sep 28, 2015
Welcome canevar! You are reading way back! Actually, I think the fish looked more slender like the palamar. Could that be it? Are you Turkish? I assume you're familiar with Turkey and the Izmir area to know what kind of fish they eat. Tell us about yourself.
:) just came across to it accidentally. Enjoyed your observations from 1970's. Yes, I am Turkish, I wasn't even born at that time :) such a time, political turmoil and coup, and you were there. Your depiction is quite accurate. I live in Istanbul. Don't know much about Izmir, have been there a few times. I have eaten nice fish barbeque with herbs there. Your fish is a mystery then. Palamut and Cipura and many common fishes here won't be longer than half a meter. btw Greeks do sea food better than Turks.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
:) just came across to it accidentally. Enjoyed your observations from 1970's. Yes, I am Turkish, I wasn't even born at that time :) such a time, political turmoil and coup, and you were there. Your depiction is quite accurate. I live in Istanbul. Don't know much about Izmir, have been there a few times. I have eaten nice fish barbeque with herbs there. Your fish is a mystery then. Palamut and Cipura and many common fishes here won't be longer than half a meter. btw Greeks do sea food better than Turks.

I wonder what Turkey is like today and how it differs from when I was there so long ago.

Yes, the political situation was disturbed, but I had no real idea of what was going on. My FIL refused to discuss it when I asked. I wondered if he just didn't want to get into a political discussion or if he was afraid of some police action or something if I repeated what he said.

All I knew was that the military took over running the country. There were riots in Istanbul, I heard, and one time students overturned a city bus in protest. I thought that was sort of pointless. If they injured passengers, those were probably innocent people just trying to get wherever they were going.

In retaliation, I heard, the police would tackle any long-haired hippie type and cut his hair right on the street, whether or not he was involved in any political unrest or not.

But where I lived, it seemed far away. There were no signs of such troubles, though I heard from time to time there was a curfew and people had to stay in at night. We never went anywhere at night anyway, so it hardly mattered to me. A friend, another American married to a Turk, said one day she was taking a dolmush into the city. There were checkpoints at spots along the major roads, where police would stop traffic and check everyone's papers. She and the other passengers all stood in a line, waiting to be checked, but one guy calmly walked off into a field at the side of the road. The police ordered him to halt and raised their guns. She said he would have been shot if he hadn't stopped. They brought him back and he checked out. She had no idea why he walked off into the field. Maybe to relieve himself, she thought.

I do remember the ringleader of the students was a guy named Deniz. I named my daughter that (before I went to Turkey and heard of the rebel with that name). I was told it could be either a male or female name, though it was more common to name boys that. But I wanted my daughter to have a Turkish name that Americans could relate to, and Deniz was sort of like Denise, so it fit my criterion. The only other name I knew was Selma, and I thought Deniz was nicer. Also it means "sea," and both her dad and I loved the water and swimming. I wondered if giving her the same name as a rebel was a good idea, and she did turn out to be sort of a rebel, but I doubt her name was why, though I did tell her about the guy with the same name.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
moanin, Volties.

Sandy, I think Lizzie is out in the wilds on a hunting trip. She did mention that here so I don't feel too uncomfortable mentioning it.

The seasons are definitely changing. It was 44 yesterday morning and the leaves are showing signs of changing colors. The garden is done and I have to get out there, pull out the drip irrigation system, blow air through the feed line to prevent freezing, then rototill everything under for the winter.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Thanks, Awsum. Now I do remember Lizzie mentioning going hunting.

We're into fall here, too. The leaves are changing, and it's definitely cooler than it was. We've had more rain recently, too. We needed it because just a few weeks ago, there was a dry spell.

The latest with the restaurant move is that they turned off the phones at the old restaurant but for some reason, the phones at the new place haven't been switched on. This happened yesterday, and they still are off. It's sort of a blessing, because they planned to keep trying to run the restaurant while moving, and now they can't, so they are just focusing on getting everything into the new place.

I suggested that, if they really do want to try to still do business, and the phones get operating at the new place, to use call forwarding to switch the calls to one of their cell phones if they are still operating out of the old place.

The good news is that all the permits and inspections are done, and that's all taken care of. Now it's setting up the new restaurant and getting those phones working. They plan to open in the new place Friday morning.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Yes, I just returned from the wilds of Nevada and it was fantastic! More later.

I actually feel human now that I have my first shower in a week. We ate at a restaurant one night in Eureka and a guy says "Are you staying in a motel in town?" to Hubby who was speaking to him across the room. Mom and I laughed so hard because [sarcasm] "Yeah, you gotta be staying in a motel to look this good." We were dusty, dirty, had bad hair and we were wearing camo:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread