Status
Not open for further replies.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
Wood ages, so if you want something that'll have some character and age over time, wood is for you. If you want it to look the same forever, stainless steel. It's really just a preference thing. But wood will scratch, it'll fade.. For me thats part of the fun. It's like a leather jacket. You buy it, tie it in a ball and kick it around first.

Makaela

Oct 1, 2015
Texas
Based on some of your other posts I don't think you should follow any advice given to you in any B&M.
Based on one post? I didn't understand ohms. And he was actually right about the flavors having a chemical taste. It is a new shop and I had someone else who has been vaping for 3 years go with me. This post is asking about durability about wooden mods. If you have a problem about me going to shops or my post in general. Feel free to report them or pm me.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Wood ages, so if you want something that'll have some character and age over time, wood is for you. If you want it to look the same forever, stainless steel. It's really just a preference thing. But wood will scratch, it'll fade.. For me thats part of the fun. It's like a leather jacket. You buy it, tie it in a ball and kick it around first.

Metal scratches as well.

And wood does not fade. The stain on the wood may fade, but it's wood, you can always apply a new coat of stain and make it look just like it was brand new. You can also add a coat of clear resin varnish and it will resist having the stain fade.

stradivarius-ex-nachez.jpg

That violin is over 300 years old. I doubt your metal mod will look as good after 300+ years.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I'm sure the violin has been handled with more care than most people use with their mods. You should see my guitar. I'm not trying to sway anyone away from wood, I like the way wood ages and the "scars" it acquires through regular use. You can coat it and stain it and all that, thats up to you. You can also polish steel, or sand it, or paint it.. Whatever you want to do with it. It's up to you what material you go with and how much work you want to put into it.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
yah - i have a wooden mech from compvape - an El Cabron - that I lurve - just use it at home... have treated the wood with Howard's Feed and Wax and she's purty... but when i am on the road or out and about, I take a metal mod - would hate to put unnecessary wear on the wood, if I can avoid it - but it works like a champ!

Reactions: Makaela

Makaela

Oct 1, 2015
Texas
I would consider a wooden mod an "around the house" device. Taken care of, it will look new for a long time. But abuse will show.

The wood on my guitar looks new. The frets on the other hand are going to need replacing soon... The taken care of part vs the wear item.
I know what you mean about frets man. It doesn't matter how much you take care of your guitar. If you play alot it will show sooner or later

Reactions: SomeTexan

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I have no idea. What it was called went and tried out a new shop. And they knew what they were talking about! And ACTUALLY told me what certian flavors had that chemical taste. And they had this beautiful wood box mod. With bronze around the edges. Anyone have experience with wood on a mod? Durability? Scratches? Fading?

Depends on the wood and what type of finish it has on it and the care you take of it.
Many people who have wood mods use these products
http://www.howardproducts.com

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
There are fantastic wood mods and there are some crap ones.
Heck, you can drop $400, $500, $800 on a handmade wood mod, any time you like!
It'd be great if you can snap a photo, or get the name (unless it's a home-made kinda thing) - then people can advise you about it's reputation!
But in general - a wood mod can certainly be good quality!

Here's what i mean - big range...
(and hey, I'm not knocking the Tank Crossing mod - I almost bought one)
:D

Wooden mod....
Beck-Box-Mod-SX350J-Chip-Stabilized-Wood-18650-26650-clear-coat.jpeg

Wooden mod...(lol)
dsc_0132.jpg

Reactions: Frederick Hew

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
I know what you mean about frets man. It doesn't matter how much you take care of your guitar. If you play alot it will show sooner or later
It doesn't help that I went from a cheap guitar to a Taylor that doesn't need near the strength on the strings. I was used to a guitar that needed some power to hit the fret. The Taylor has an easy action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread