Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
It's my go to mod when I want TC. That thing was easy to get the hang of just too big for everyday out and about. I'm using ST Mini's on it and even built coils for the rba and the OCC ones using tips and tricks I read about along the way.
Way to go girl! You ever tackle the Taifun GTs?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
stop that, lynn - or the man will never come back down to earth! :sneaky:
My Turn......

116312e445d8b90724a87f5fcac54992.jpg

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
This thread moves FAST! Thanks all! RMV is of course, out of stock on the GS Tank le sigh...

I give them till Thursday then I'll order from Sweet Vapes since he is so excited to get a bigger tank he dropped some funds in my account lol. Poor thing, 25 and moved out when he was 19 but still lets mommy to handle some things. I kinda like that :)

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
I am Still having issues with my GS Air coil rebuilds tasting Nasty for that first tank and it's very frustrating. I am using 6 wraps of 30 Kanthal on a 1/16 drill, Rayon and the Dollar Store gauze, dampened for 2-3 wraps. I both anneal the wire and do a short dry burn. The coils are right at 1.5 ohms. I put a drop of juice on each slit and 5-6 down the pipe and Still let it sit 20-30 min.

Before powering, I turn the air to full closed and make sure I'm getting some gurgle, I Assume this means the coil area is WET.

From the first hit for about the first full tank it is NASTY, like slightly burned arm pit. If at the end of the first tank I take the coil out wipe it off, wash out the GS Good, and refill, almost all the Nasty is gone. If any lingers it disappears into the 2nd tank. Even more mysterious is I've looked pretty closely at the last few rebuilds during disassembly. The wraps aren't burnt and neither are the wicks that I can see. Now, I soak hell outta mine for several hrs in really hot water but still, nothing Appears to be burned that I can see when I take them back apart.

I am at a loss as to what is happening with that first tank. It is Sooo nasty it makes me want to consider going back to Turbo'd Evod tanks even with the iS30. With those rebuilds, I may get 1 or 2 hits of almost nasty then it clears and is fine. Of course with those, I can pull the stem, Totally Wet the coil and make sure the first hit, that the coil is soaked. I get a Heck of a lot of vapor from my Turbo Evods. Honestly, with them only costing about $3 each for a tank, I wonder it the GS is Really 4 time better (for the money). Yeah, it's Better but I'm not sure the way *I* use the GS that it puts out 4 times more Vape Or Flavor. This 1st tank Nasty issue is really crimping my love for what otherwise is a great tank.

Anyone got any ideas here?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
Sorry to hear you are having this happen...
I assume you get the right amount of rayon in the coil as you have experience with it.
Rayon density was my first thought as it can shrink upon getting juice on it and allow
the coil to heat up creating a burnt metallic taste. It's almost impossible to get too
much rayon into a wick. I only use one wrap of liner material and have never had flooding.
I am Still having issues with my GS Air coil rebuilds tasting Nasty for that first tank and it's very frustrating. I am using 6 wraps of 30 Kanthal on a 1/16 drill, Rayon and the Dollar Store gauze, dampened for 2-3 wraps. I both anneal the wire and do a short dry burn. The coils are right at 1.5 ohms. I put a drop of juice on each slit and 5-6 down the pipe and Still let it sit 20-30 min.

Before powering, I turn the air to full closed and make sure I'm getting some gurgle, I Assume this means the coil area is WET.

From the first hit for about the first full tank it is NASTY, like slightly burned arm pit. If at the end of the first tank I take the coil out wipe it off, wash out the GS Good, and refill, almost all the Nasty is gone. If any lingers it disappears into the 2nd tank. Even more mysterious is I've looked pretty closely at the last few rebuilds during disassembly. The wraps aren't burnt and neither are the wicks that I can see. Now, I soak hell outta mine for several hrs in really hot water but still, nothing Appears to be burned that I can see when I take them back apart.

I am at a loss as to what is happening with that first tank. It is Sooo nasty it makes me want to consider going back to Turbo'd Evod tanks even with the iS30. With those rebuilds, I may get 1 or 2 hits of almost nasty then it clears and is fine. Of course with those, I can pull the stem, Totally Wet the coil and make sure the first hit, that the coil is soaked. I get a Heck of a lot of vapor from my Turbo Evods. Honestly, with them only costing about $3 each for a tank, I wonder it the GS is Really 4 time better (for the money). Yeah, it's Better but I'm not sure the way *I* use the GS that it puts out 4 times more Vape Or Flavor. This 1st tank Nasty issue is really crimping my love for what otherwise is a great tank.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
Just like your vid shows Cheech, I make the Rayon tight enough that pulling it harder starts to deform the coil.

I was actually probably going close to 3 wraps and cut back on this last rebuild of 3 coils to 2 wraps with no improvement.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I am Still having issues with my GS Air coil rebuilds tasting Nasty for that first tank and it's very frustrating.
I am using 6 wraps of 30 Kanthal on a 1/16 drill, Rayon and the Dollar Store gauze,

The coils are right at 1.5 ohms.

From the first hit for about the first full tank it is NASTY, like slightly burned arm pit.

The wraps aren't burnt and neither are the wicks that I can see.

Now, I soak hell outta mine for several hrs in really hot water but still,
nothing Appears to be burned that I can see when I take them back apart.

This 1st tank Nasty issue is really crimping my love for what otherwise is a great tank.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

how ‘bout (just thinking out loud)
bigger coil I.D. (5/64, toothpick, 2mm)
I used stainless steel mesh to wrap around outside/under cap

and a MUST
did you ACTUALLY scrap the interior walls of your coil body
to be SURE they are spotless - - gunk builds up inside as per my experience
hot water softens, Q tip removes (might even need to scrap some)
then SMELL it before assembly – is it pure, fresh clean ??

jus sayin

Good Luck !

:|

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I also use close to 2mm to wrap coil. But you are getting 1.5 ohms...
Sounds like you prime well...
Rayon right tension...
Liner would not affect first draws if primed right...
Dry burn coil to remove oil and contaminants from manufacture of wire...
then SMELL it before assembly – is it pure, fresh clean ??
Hmmm...possibility.
I have had recoils and rewicks that were funky for one reason or another, usually my error.
But not consistently...I'm not much help on this.
Does your rayon "squeak" when moved back and forth in the coil?

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
agree, sounds like priming / dry hit not an issue

contaminated insulator
INSIDE the coil body threw me for awhile

when I discovered it, I could not believe what was in there (baked)

a new build started off nasty
then I would guess after so long, that nasty absorbed
the new juice I just put in tank, and start to fade... ?

regardless, now I always make a point to check/clean INSIDE coil body
(and I have a stack of dirty nasty Q tips to prove it) :D

:2c:

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I'm about to buy an Istick 40W as a third small battery backup to my two 30W that i love, if that is a bad move let me know now ok? haha thanks :D
40W is a good mod ergonomically, not impressed with the battery staying power even in VV/VW mode.
It may be my imagination, but it seems less than my 30W. It's definitely not the battery length of my
50W!
But, I gotta admit, love the buttons and ergonomics of it. I am sure I won't be going into TC world anytime soon.
It does leave that option open...

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Wonder if the grommet is toast? Sometimes a burnt grommet can give that kind of nastiness.
I use an ultra sonic cleaner on the coils and they come out clean as a whistle,
so I hadn't considered dirty interior. That will do it!

Oooooooooo nice move (ultra sonic cleaner)
guess that would alleviate inside build up

I’ve scrubbed grommets clean (vodka/toothbrush)
and threw a few away also…
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread