Status
Not open for further replies.

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
@Str8vision thanks so much for all the help in this. I opted for the sheet of 1 micron filter. I simply cut to the size of my aeropress and voila, a beautifully filtered NET. I did one batch at 2 months, 1 batch at 3 months, and will do the other at 4 months. I have an Acid Blondie cigar that I will go for 3 or so months as well. I am now considering buying some good pipe tobacco, but I have so many cigars in the humidor.

Thanks again.

And thanks to everyone for the input.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I only mix flavored (hybrid), NETs using many different flavorings with my tobacco extracts. I also regularly add 2% concentrated tobacco extract (ethanol based), to a retail juice like Ahlusion's Caramel Wild Wood to give it a "real" tobacco presence. I don't do straight tobacco so can't really help.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Reactions: Denvap0r

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I also regularly add 2% concentrated tobacco extract (ethanol based), to a retail juice like Ahlusion's Caramel Wild Wood to give it a "real" tobacco presence.

I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing. How much approximately do I reduce my extract to make it concentrated enough for this to work at 2% ?

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I reduce my ethanol extracts around 75%. ~30ml of filtered extract will end up being around ~7 - 8ml after reduction. I'll mix around 30 drops of reduced extract (Voodoo Queen or Louisiana Red), in a 60ml bottle of CWW and let it age for a month or more. The 2% is what suits my personal taste preference, the actual percentage depends on what extract and juice I'm mixing. When adding extract to a flavored juice you don't need near as much as when mixing it as a stand alone flavor or it overpowers everything thing else.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Yes, the primary customer for commercially manufactured TA is the fragrance industry, taste or flavor is of no concern. I would love to see someone make and market TA's specifically for mixing NET, someone who knows what they're doing and is focused on flavor. At 75% reduction our ethanol extract isn't concentrated enough to be considered a true "absolute" but depending on the tobacco its derived from is far better tasting and more robust than any commercial TA. If you were to reduce it by 99%, the black tar like syrup remaining would be genuine tobacco absolute. Evaporate all the ethanol off and the remaining varnish (which can be scraped and collected), is considered tobacco concrete. Tobacco concrete can be reconstituted in PG or VG but doing so requires mild heat, stirring and time. Using absolute is much easier but no more so than just mixing a 75% reduced ethanol extract.

Reactions: usr/

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Could be good stuff, many people speak well of that juice line. However, I didn't see anything on the site indicating it's actually made in-house. They also carry WTAs (Whole Tobacco Alkaloids), which requires a -serious- lab setup to produce, most likely outsourced. I did a search for "Mothers Milk TA" in the TA thread over in the DIY forum https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ion-tobacco-flavoring-discussion-only.667055/ and there didn't seem to be much love for it from what I read, just average.

I know there are retail vendors that claim they extract and produce their own TA for flavoring their juice line but having tried them I wasn't impressed, at all, no real discernible tobacco flavor. They either aren't very good at making TA or are just buying the commercial stuff which, in all honesty, is exactly what it tasted like to me.

Reactions: Exchaner

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
You might find Nicotaina Rustica much more to your liking than any other TA - much more potent. Made from Mapacho tobacco leaves - a sacred variety among Indian Tribes. Although very potent, the taste is not exactly a traditional American tobacco. More like an exotic flavor, but good. It has a greenish hue indicating it might be made from unfermented tobacco leaves.
http://www.wingedseed.com/Merchant2...ore_Code=SB&Product_Code=15322&Category_Code=

And here is a thread where it is discussed.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/tobacco-absolute-a-flavor-all-by-itself.654376/

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
After reading lots of information here in the DIY sub-forums, I decided to attempt some NETs. I also decided to do the cold maceration method in PG (after the reading, just seemed like the simplest method). I broke up 3 different inexpensive, but quality, cigars from my humidor and placed them in 3 small mason jars with 120 ml of PG each.

It has now been 2 weeks and 5 days since doing this and this morning took my first sample. Mixed 1ml of my NET with 2ml of VG, dripped and vaped. The first thing that came to my mind is "this is cool". I can taste that wonderfully aged tobacco, just like the cigar smelled. Will definitely need the full month of steep time, but the flavor is there and it's really good.

So really this a thank you thread to everyone that has posted about making NETs. Your experimentation and expertise was read, used, and appreciated.

Thanks.

Feel free to offer any pointers or advice for a newb DIYer
That's awesome man! Maybe one day ...

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I've got about 500 cigars in a 7 foot cabinet humidor and about 100 pounds of pipe tobacco. You would think I'd be all over this since I'm DIYing my own juice now, and am really back digging tobacco flavored juices like the ones I vaped when I first quit smoking. But I just haven't done it yet, and I don't know why!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
I've got about 500 cigars in a 7 foot cabinet humidor and about 100 pounds of pipe tobacco. You would think I'd be all over this since I'm DIYing my own juice now, and am really back digging tobacco flavored juices like the ones I vaped when I first quit smoking. But I just haven't done it yet, and I don't know why!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

It's so easy. You should really give it a try.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
It's so easy. You should really give it a try.

Been soooo close to giving it a try.... I hear its really easy to do, but trick comes in getting the balance right with the extract and PG/VG.

I know myself and how I tend to obsess :) I dont know if I have the time to delve into this.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I like smooth, so I would probably start off with 1 good cigar, probably an Acid Blonde. My favorite maker has stopped making it and I found a good runner up, but....

If I got a good cigar and wanted to try, from what I hear one basically cuts off a piece and put it in a container so that the tobacco is submerged and leave it in there till it gets dark and gross and then strain the hell out of it and add ones preference as far as VG/PG and nic?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Cigars are difficult to extract, most produce a very ~mild~ flavor. The easiest way to do it would be a simple soak, cold (room temperature), extraction using PG as the solvent. Let the -shredded- cigar soak for 6 weeks then start "in-process sampling" every week thereafter to test flavor development. For a heat assisted extraction using PG as the solvent heat the macerated cigar to 150F and steep it for 100 hours, then start in-process sampling every few hours thereafter until the flavor suits you.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Cigars are difficult to extract, most produce a very ~mild~ flavor. The easiest way to do it would be a simple soak, cold (room temperature), extraction using PG as the solvent. Let the -shredded- cigar soak for 6 weeks then start "in-process sampling" every week thereafter to test flavor development. For a heat assisted extraction using PG as the solvent heat the macerated cigar to 150F and steep it for 100 hours, then start in-process sampling every few hours thereafter until the flavor suits you.

You Sir / Lady :evil:are an enabler..... Now I have to try.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Could be good stuff, many people speak well of that juice line. However, I didn't see anything on the site indicating it's actually made in-house. They also carry WTAs (Whole Tobacco Alkaloids), which requires a -serious- lab setup to produce, most likely outsourced. I did a search for "Mothers Milk TA" in the TA thread over in the DIY forum https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ion-tobacco-flavoring-discussion-only.667055/ and there didn't seem to be much love for it from what I read, just average.

I know there are retail vendors that claim they extract and produce their own TA for flavoring their juice line but having tried them I wasn't impressed, at all, no real discernible tobacco flavor. They either aren't very good at making TA or are just buying the commercial stuff which, in all honesty, is exactly what it tasted like to me.

It could be that though they are calling it an absolute it is not actually an absolute. I did a lot of research/google-fuing on what in the hell absolutes were and found out that they *must* come from a tobacco concrete to be considered an absolute--otherwise it's just some random tobacco sludge in alcohol (though it may look like an absolute). After an extraction (like a hexane extraction) of the plant material, the solvent gets removed and what is left is a hard, wax-like substance called a concrete, and then the absolute gets extracted from that step (typically via an ethanol extraction)...

http://airase.com/concrete-resinoid-and-absolute/

http://www.edenbotanicals.com/extraction-methods (Essential Oils: Distillation and Expression; Concretes and Absolutes: Solvent Extraction, etc...)

I won't mention which vendor, but I asked one that claims they make their own TA, "do you all extract your TA from a tobacco concrete?", to which they responded, "a tobacco what?" I spoke with perfumers about concretes and they told me so much that it made me realize I was happy with simple soaks. :facepalm::)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread