How safe can this REALLY be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I occasionally get some gurgles & pops when I vape. Sometimes, I can feel tiny bits hit my tongue or the roof of my mouth. I started to wonder just what this was, why, etc...

I loosely rolled a bit of my organic cotton & put it into my drip tip. Well! Let me tell you; I was astounded at the volume of juice captured in the cotton and the really fine residue trapped. My cigarette filters NEVER looked this soiled! I squeezed out the contents & found that it is, indeed, ejuice as well as what appears to be burnt or cooked fine particulate.

Several additional tests were done and even if the atomizer was'nt spitting, there's still a LOT of material captured in the "filter".

While I feel way better having been off the darts for nearly one year, my doctor reporting lowered blood pressure, increased Oxygen saturation, improved respiration and recovery from exertion, I can't help becoming skeptical about what's ending up in my lungs!!

My equipment is all fine, Kanger subtank & mini (new insulators, OCC coils, OCC rda builds, Aspire Atlantis with 2nd gen OCC coils, IPV 50 watt, and Sigelei 100 watt, etc, etc. I vape between 20 & 25 watts. I swab my drip dip & chimney daily.

Is there research or study in this regard?

Jeez, I was way happier before I looked!!

Last edited:

Margucci

Oct 5, 2015
also, you are able to inject 0% ejuice. it would taste horrible but it wouldnt hurt you. both PG and VG are edible and the flavoring is used in food as well. if you are concerned about any of the spit back going in your lungs, dont be. the spit back (although nasty) is just vaporized droplets. because the path down your esophagus is the shape it is the liquid would never get past the back of your throat even in a worst case situation. as for any condensate getting in your lungs i wouldnt worry much about that either. the majority of it condenses over the surfaces in your mouth allowing you to taste it as well as absorb nicotine.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I occasionally get some gurgles & pops when I vape. Sometimes, I can feel tiny bits hit my tongue or the roof of my mouth. I started to wonder just what this was, why, etc...

I loosely rolled a bit of my organic cotton & put it into my drip tip. Well! Let me tell you; I was astounded at the volume of juice captured in the cotton and the really fine residue trapped. My cigarette filters NEVER looked this soiled! I squeezed out the contents & found that it is, indeed, ejuice as well as what appears to be burnt or cooked fine particulate.

Several additional tests were done and even if the atomizer was'nt spitting, there's still a LOT of material captured in the "filter".

While I feel way better having been off the darts for nearly one year, my doctor reporting lowered blood pressure, increased Oxygen saturation, improved respiration and recovery from exertion, I can't help becoming skeptical about what's ending up in my lungs!!

My equipment is all fine, Kanger subtank & mini (new insulators, OCC coils, OCC rda builds, Aspire Atlantis with 2nd gen OCC coils, IPV 50 watt, and Sigelei 100 watt, etc, etc. I vape between 20 & 25 watts. I swab my drip dip & chimney daily.

Is there research or study in this regard?

Jeez, I was way happier before I looked!!

I believe most of the research that has been done on vaping indicates vaping has about 1-4% of the risk smoking does and almost all of that risk is from flavorings. I can only imagine what you are talking about was taken into consideration. Those risk numbers were generally done assuming about 3 ml a day of juice consumption, so if you vape 20 ml a day there is significantly more risk.

Keep in mind that bigger particles will not go as far into your lungs as smaller ones which is critical to this type of risk assessment. Also, think about all the crap you inhale every time you inhale in your house. Here's what is in house dust. Do not read that if you are easily grossed out or a germophobe ;)

Our lungs handle that easily. To minimize your risks with vaping, don't vape too much juice, know what is in your juice and use a minimum of flavorings or best of all, switch to non-flavored juice.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
You have to clean it fairly often. Anything you use that has liquid in it and you put in your mouth needs to be kept as sanitary as possible. It's going to get buildup from the juice and your lips. It would be the same as using a toothbrush over and over but never rinsing it and wondering why it has buildup. Everything needs cleaned, especially if it goes to your mouth often.
The juice spitting is not dangerous. The flavors are edible and the nicotine is not potent at the percentages we use in ejuice.

Margucci

Oct 5, 2015
I think you mean ingest. Don't you just love spell check :)
damn phone autocorrect. yes ingest.

and as Ryedan said, generally its the flavorings which would be of concern. depending on the flavors they may contain things like diacetyl and alcohol. something like alcohol isnt much of a concern. as you can just breathe the juice for a few hours and it will all evaporate (it is a very small amount). on the other hand, diacetyl is something which ejuice is tested for and can be harmful. if you want to be a safe as possible purchase ejuice from larger vendors that do routine batch testing for harmful substances in the vapor. generally they will have these posted on their website if they do them.

Reactions: Ryedan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread