regular cotton safe to vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 16582768" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:
A few days ago I rewicked in almost dark room with light coming from side. Just happens so it was perfect to see all the dust coming of KGD pad while cutting. I do not know for now if I want to continue with pads. Back to cotton balls? But pads are so convinient...

I remember a similar discussion a few years back when people were using fireplace insulation (basically fiber glass), and the general consensus was, If its wet it will be no problem. I agree with you though, although another reason I am looking for a better solution is because the pads I have seen seem to be too compacted.
ehhhh go with Rayon... no pesticides no bleach, no peroxide, wicks better, not expensive, no wet T-shirt taste.....

but if you want the ultimate in wicking.... natural sea sponge picked by red headed mermaids during the high tide and full moon in August on the north shore of Hawaii.... really rare stuff.... very hard to find and extremely expensive.... :)
Hey I can't even catch a fish let alone a red headed mermaid! I know exactly what you meant by wet T-shirt Taste!
Where is a good online source for rayon?
I would like to give rayon a try.

Last edited:

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA
Thankfully after 44yrs of smoking my tastebuds are shot and I can't tell the difference between drug store bought cotton and organic, non-GMO, conflict free, free range cotton picked by virgins.

(ducking)
Haha, I would just like to find a suitable fiber that is not pre compacted and it would be bonus if the fibers were going the same direction.
IMO them first few hits taste awful no matter what you use, I just puff and don’t inhale for the first 10 hits.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Haha, I would just like to find a suitable fiber that is not pre compacted and it would be bonus if the fibers were going the same direction.
    IMO them first few hits taste awful no matter what you use, I just puff and don’t inhale for the first 10 hits.
    I'm starting to use Silica in some of my tanks. When setup right after the 1st few hits I can't tell the difference and the stuff is undistructable compared to Cotton/Rayon.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
    Aug 15, 2013
    Huntersville, NC
    I've been using some generic bag of regular cotton balls from Harris teeter since February and I feel no different than when I was using my protank 2 with silica.... If regular cotton isn't safe to vape, I'd hypothesize itd take years to notice negative effects. Let's ban regular cotton because we simply don't know....

:cool:

Reactions: EBates

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2010
    Smokane, WA
    I'm starting to use Silica in some of my tanks. When setup right after the 1st few hits I can't tell the difference and the stuff is undistructable compared to Cotton/Rayon.
    Ah, I bet it was Silica or something real similar that we used a few years back?! Do you happen to know of a good source?
    If I remember right I was ordering the stuff I used from Mcmaster Carr, and with shipping it was a little spendy. They are great for things you cant find elsewhere but definitely never a bargain. Thank you!

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2010
    Smokane, WA
    I've been using some generic bag of regular cotton balls from Harris teeter since February and I feel no different than when I was using my protank 2 with silica.... If regular cotton isn't safe to vape, I'd hypothesize itd take years to notice negative effects. Let's ban regular cotton because we simply don't know....

:cool:
    I agree! If we had all been smoking cotton rather than Tobacco+additives for all these years we would probably be no worse off! Of coarse the cotton companies would have probably started adding some addictive chemical...

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Ah, I bet it was Silica or something real similar that we used a few years back?! Do you happen to know of a good source?
    If I remember right I was ordering the stuff I used from Mcmaster Carr, and with shipping it was a little spendy. They are great for things you cant find elsewhere but definitely never a bargain. Thank you!

I just picked up some 2.5 and 3mm 'rope' from one of my juice vendors. It was pretty expensive for what it is but I wanted to play with it. Funny you should mention McMaster-Carr - I've thought about ordering a sheet from them. Might be more usable than the rope and actually the per-area of "wick" is less costly than the rope.

Sometimes I think the Silika haters were planted by the OEM's - cotton in some coil heads can burn VERY easily and the OEM's sell more atomizers that way. ;)

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Where is a good online source for rayon?
    I would like to give rayon a try.
    Sally beauty supply. Graham Cellucotton is what it's called. Lifetime supply for $11.50 (500 ft). Several lifetimes (3lbs, approx. 900 ft) for $15. (+$6 shipping, or you can probably find a store locally.)

EBates

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2013
    Texas

https://www.fasttech.com/search?silica wick

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2010
    Smokane, WA
    I just picked up some 2.5 and 3mm 'rope' from one of my juice vendors. It was pretty expensive for what it is but I wanted to play with it. Funny you should mention McMaster-Carr - I've thought about ordering a sheet from them. Might be more usable than the rope and actually the per-area of "wick" is less costly than the rope.

Sometimes I think the Silika haters were planted by the OEM's - cotton in some coil heads can burn VERY easily and the OEM's sell more atomizers that way. ;)
    Yeah, the last time I used silica, I was toking on a joye 510, lol. I will have to revisit the silica wick now that we have decent mods. I agree, the OEM plants are in every facet of industry!

Sally beauty supply. Graham Cellucotton is what it's called. Lifetime supply for $11.50 (500 ft). Several lifetimes (3lbs, approx. 900 ft) for $15. (+$6 shipping, or you can probably find a store locally.)
    Thank you, I have read and heard good things about rayon, Im going to give it a shot as well.

And the lifetime supply of cotton pads are on there way too,lol.

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2010
    Smokane, WA
    Thanks, I have a Velocity RDA (clone) on its way from them, I ordered it Sept,19th and expect it will be here sometime around the end of Oct, lol. If the silica works out that is a good option for sure friend!

ETA: actually might be nice having specific dimensions, Im going to go ahead and order some, Im sure that would work great when Im on the road, thank you.

wheelie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    www.independentont.com
    I am still kicking from the funky taste. When I got into rebuilding I stole cotton out of the glass jar in the bathroom for a couple months. Had a bad taste but it went away after a bit. Finally wife asked me where all her cotton balls went. I went to Walmart the next day and bought a bag of organic cotton balls and hid then in my drawer away from the wife. LOL

EBates

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks, I have a Velocity RDA (clone) on its way from them, I ordered it Sept,19th and expect it will be here sometime around the end of Oct, lol. If the silica works out that is a good option for sure friend!

ETA: actually might be nice having specific dimensions, Im going to go ahead and order some, Im sure that would work great when Im on the road, thank you.

I feel your pain. I just got my KFL 'crash kit' parts that I ordered 9/17 in the mail yesterday (18 days).

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2010
    Smokane, WA
    I am still kicking from the funky taste. When I got into rebuilding I stole cotton out of the glass jar in the bathroom for a couple months. Had a bad taste but it went away after a bit. Finally wife asked me where all her cotton balls went. I went to Walmart the next day and bought a bag of organic cotton balls and hid then in my drawer away from the wife. LOL

Haha, reminds me , years ago my wife gave me a tylenol out of her purse, and that was the last time I ever complained about having a headache around her, perfumy...ick...:shock:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread