Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudditz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Wisconsin
Since acquiring my gem about a month ago I have have lost interest in my other RTAs. The overall vape experience and especially flavor is so good in the GEM I have a hard time stepping down to the others. I would like to purchase a 2nd one however they seem to be sold out everywhere. Any word on when more will be available? I thought I read there was a TI version coming along at some point.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Hey for what it's worth the tai fun gs2 and gt2 are both very close. In some ways they excel bey he the gem. Flavor wise the gt2 is a step behind and the gs2 is basically right there. If you're a hobbyist as well and interested in other items. That's why I bring it up. That said I'm in the same boat as you. Ideally I'd love to have three. My wallet wouldn't love it however

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Guys I seem to have a problem. I was cleaning the unit today and when I unscrewed the 510 pini seem to be shedding bits of washer.

Does the base come apart so we can replace that or is that something mark bugs need to look at? I'm ckcmermed because last night it leaked like crazy out the bottom.

Thing is there's no real way trauma could have happened to that internal washer unless it somehow was off and not seated properly, it's too small and here's no sharp edge going in there.

Any idea what to do? I'm double checking tonight that it does cause a leak. I'm bummed out. I just got this!

I also still can't get this sick right. Maybe I'm just trying to use a juice hat won't work. High vg seems to be extremely difficult to wick properly in here. :/

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Guys I seem to have a problem. I was cleaning the unit today and when I unscrewed the 510 pini seem to be shedding bits of washer.

Does the base come apart so we can replace that or is that something mark bugs need to look at? I'm ckcmermed because last night it leaked like crazy out the bottom.

Thing is there's no real way trauma could have happened to that internal washer unless it somehow was off and not seated properly, it's too small and here's no sharp edge going in there.

Any idea what to do? I'm double checking tonight that it does cause a leak. I'm bummed out. I just got this!

I also still can't get this sick right. Maybe I'm just trying to use a juice hat won't work. High vg seems to be extremely difficult to wick properly in here. :/
That white delrin piece is not user replaceable. And for high VG juice kindly flare up the wick ends. Make them fibrous - so that each strand can easily pick up liquid.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
That white delrin piece is not user replaceable. And for high VG juice kindly flare up the wick ends. Make them fibrous - so that each strand can easily pick up liquid.
im running 80%VG and solved the wicking issue by doing a 'single-cut' wick sort of like your Erlk method but not so drastic! Seems to work pretty well. Not perfect yet but I'll get it next time!
edit: just for kicks i ordered some cotton/rayon mix and will try that as soon as I get it. I have treid in the past to make mixtures but its very hard so intrigued to see if this works!

Reactions: qorax

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Yes that's generally what I've been doing. I don't know what qorax erlk Methid is but I've probably tried it :). I've tried trimming at an angle like when. I build an aqua. That seemed to work well

It looks like maybe the piece didn't come from the gem. Maybe it was just debris on the towel I was using. I can't see any problem with it or nicks in the O ring. I will have to look carefully over it tomorrow. It makes no sense the deck having an O ring shredded unless it was damaged when t was assembled. There's nothing in there that would damage it. So hopefully if there is an issue mark bugs can deduce the same and sort it out.

I think I've figured out the wicking finally. One thing is for sure I have to turn up my temperatures pretty drastically compared to other atomizers for good vapor production. I believe because the coil and wick are so small there's always an influx of juice flowing in constantly cooking it compared to more cotton that is saturated and then starts to run dry as it heats. I'm sure this is going to take s few more days to figure out. I'll get there eventually.

Thanks for the patience and help to all.

Last edited:

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
i found the sweet spot for thick e-liquid.

absolutely stuffed and super short - so the side channels remain basically empty with a lot of tight fluffy cotton in the middle. If i used thinner longer cut where the bow dropped into the channels it spit back, if i did thick that way it wouldnt wick, the combination of thick in the center but the channels free pushing what would maybe flood normall makes this thing chuck clouds comparatively and wicks 90% vg perfectly. fired at 400-420 degrees F the favor is amazing and the vapor production finally matches! 400 maximizes flavor at the cost of a bit of vapor. 420 is a slight bit less flavor due to heat and sheer volume. But it's not burnt and maximizes vapor. Can take it to about 450 before it starts to get a bit meh. 5-6 wrap .6-.7 28 gauge nickel build.

hope that helps anyone who says it won't wick thick liquids well ( which i heard a lot before buying it) absolutely not true - just took some working out, for me at least... maybe i'm a bit slow - but i nailed it!

its still 105F so the fans and ac are on but you get the idea

19f856e60f2f8969d744d5c47c5ce368.jpg

Last edited:

drippaboi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2014
SF Bay Area
Think you could snap a wick pic the next time you open it up? :D

I'm visualizing that you cut the wick tails flush with where the vertical channels start? does this not cause flooding when the Gem is pocketed or left on its side?

i found the sweet spot for thick e-liquid.

absolutely stuffed and super short - so the side channels remain basically empty with a lot of tight fluffy cotton in the middle. If i used thinner longer cut where the bow dropped into the channels it spit back, if i did thick that way it wouldnt wick, the combination of thick in the center but the channels free pushing what would maybe flood normall makes this thing chuck clouds comparatively and wicks 90% vg perfectly. fired at 400-420 degrees F the favor is amazing and the vapor production finally matches! 400 maximizes flavor at the cost of a bit of vapor. 420 is a slight bit less flavor due to heat and sheer volume. But it's not burnt and maximizes vapor. Can take it to about 450 before it starts to get a bit meh. 5-6 wrap .6-.7 28 gauge nickel build.

hope that helps anyone who says it won't wick thick liquids well ( which i heard a lot before buying it) absolutely not true - just took some working out, for me at least... maybe i'm a bit slow - but i nailed it!

its still 105F so the fans and ac are on but you get the idea

19f856e60f2f8969d744d5c47c5ce368.jpg

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Think you could snap a wick pic the next time you open it up? :D

I'm visualizing that you cut the wick tails flush with where the vertical channels start? does this not cause flooding when the Gem is pocketed or left on its side?

Just about flush maybe a small trailing edge. I basically pull them up and cut them just above where the screws are. No flooding or leaking. I actually fell asleep with it in the middle of my bed last night, uncommon, but it answers that question conveniently.

I'll snap a pic next time I build for you and post back here. It won't help as much to see it after its already wicked I don't think.

It's really tight in the center of the coil and I wicked this way specifically for ice eliquid which I prefer. Two things to note.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Just saw a GEM for sale in classies but nobody seems to want it. Good price!!

edit: I find it a bit odd really. There was such a scramble for the original release I would think this would be scooped up immediately...I mean there arent that many around. No idea how many he made...

Last edited:

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Okay, for you "wireheads" here's a report on another wire usable on the GEM: NiFe 52/48. (Aka Nifethal 52 (Alloy 52 at Steam Engine)

The numbers may be reversed depending on where you buy it. Bought mine from Zivipf in Germany, though Unkamen in the US has it on pre-order.

Bought 26 & 28 awg. Used the 28 to wrap a, somewhat haphazard, 7-wrap on a 2.5mm Kuro Coiler, measuring 0.33 ohms on a reader but sank nicely to 0.20 on a VaporShark DNA 200.

I say haphazard because I was uncertain whether to dry-burn or not, equally about spaced or (fully) contact. I did not dry-burn because I felt the Nickel content would 'object'.

Built gorgeous wick shoulders, reassembled, and vaped. It was clear to me that some "break-in" was required, so I was patient. After bumping the wattage to 510F... A very pleasant vape (of Philip Rocke, as with Ni200, SS 316L and 430).

Much experiment needed to settle the spaced/contact/dry-burn debate but "haphazard" had no complaint. Looking forward to hear from other adventurers...

ETA: Put the GEM w/NiFe52 on a regular old DNA 40. It vapes better than Ni 200, cleaner taste, better vapor.

Very pleased. Would luv to hear of another's result...

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Okay, for you "wireheads" here's a report on another wire usable on the GEM: NiFe 52/48. (Aka Nifethal 52 (Alloy 52 at Steam Engine)

The numbers may be reversed depending on where you buy it. Bought mine from Zivipf in Germany, though Unkamen in the US has it on pre-order.

Bought 26 & 28 awg. Used the 28 to wrap a, somewhat haphazard, 7-wrap on a 2.5mm Kuro Coiler, measuring 0.33 ohms on a reader but sank nicely to 0.20 on a VaporShark DNA 200.

I say haphazard because I was uncertain whether to dry-burn or not, equally about spaced or (fully) contact. I did not dry-burn because I felt the Nickel content would 'object'.

Built gorgeous wick shoulders, reassembled, and vaped. It was clear to me that some "break-in" was required, so I was patient. After bumping the wattage to 510F... A very pleasant vape (of Philip Rocke, as with Ni200, SS 316L and 430).

Much experiment needed to settle the spaced/contact/dry-burn debate but "haphazard" had no complaint. Looking forward to hear from other adventurers...

ETA: Put the GEM w/NiFe52 on a regular old DNA 40. It vapes better than Ni 200, cleaner taste, better vapor.

Very pleased. Would luv to hear of another's result...
pretty sure dry burning Nife48/52 (and NiFe70 and 30) is fine! Nio need to overdo it, just pulse until glowing and yiou should be good to go!

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It took me quite a few attempts to make this work, so far I think it was worth the effort. Dual twisted 30g Kanthal 4 wraps on 2.5mm coilmaster comes in @ .9ohm on the WAE2 and wicked with RxW. I've been playing with the twisted wire for a few weeks when I felt like building something, but I haven't managed to get a coil that would work with the RxW. My builds kept coming out a little sloppy and due to the way the coil sits I couldn't get the RxW to slide in. Last week I decided to give up on the twisted idea and built a 2.5mm coil with 26ga and it came out nice and straight when I was done. So I got out the RxW and manage to get some through, but it was a bit too tight in the center and it would dry hit on the 2nd pull. It also seemed to be cutting off the airflow some so I went back to they rayon wick I've been using in the GEM.

Had some spare time yesterday so I though I'd make another attempt. Fortunately I have an extra deck to build on so the GEM can continue to work while I tinker. Managed to get the twisted coil built and installed the way I wanted it after a couple of tries. I remembered someone mentioned not too long ago how they cut their wick way short and weren't having issues with leaks so I decided to give it a shot. Since I already had a 45 on one end of the wick I cut the same angle on the other side. The top of the wick goes from side to side and the bottom ends where the step in the wick channel is. The piece is straight, didn't try to fray it or push it down at all.

The flavor seems to be a little better, I'm going to try the rayon in it at some point to see if that's the wick or the coil.

Reactions: Matthee

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I'm a big fan of twisted wire. I often build dial or quad in other atomizers but have avoided it. I can't do the twist myself. And I prefer temp control but maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Also what rayon are you using what is RW sorry

Ps I haven't forgotten to post my wicking. I will I just have had a ton of pre surgery appointments and it's jist about time to rework for flavor.

Also I discussed the o ring deck issue with mark bugs and they're sending another one. As well I hope as a tank that's straight.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Just saw a GEM for sale in classies but nobody seems to want it. Good price!!

edit: I find it a bit odd really. There was such a scramble for the original release I would think this would be scooped up immediately...I mean there arent that many around. No idea how many he made...
Really. I'd probably buy another one and others want to. Can you link it by chance I don't see it

Dudditz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Wisconsin
It took me quite a few attempts to make this work, so far I think it was worth the effort. Dual twisted 30g Kanthal 4 wraps on 2.5mm coilmaster comes in @ .9ohm on the WAE2 and wicked with RxW. I've been playing with the twisted wire for a few weeks when I felt like building something, but I haven't managed to get a coil that would work with the RxW. My builds kept coming out a little sloppy and due to the way the coil sits I couldn't get the RxW to slide in. Last week I decided to give up on the twisted idea and built a 2.5mm coil with 26ga and it came out nice and straight when I was done. So I got out the RxW and manage to get some through, but it was a bit too tight in the center and it would dry hit on the 2nd pull. It also seemed to be cutting off the airflow some so I went back to they rayon wick I've been using in the GEM.

Had some spare time yesterday so I though I'd make another attempt. Fortunately I have an extra deck to build on so the GEM can continue to work while I tinker. Managed to get the twisted coil built and installed the way I wanted it after a couple of tries. I remembered someone mentioned not too long ago how they cut their wick way short and weren't having issues with leaks so I decided to give it a shot. Since I already had a 45 on one end of the wick I cut the same angle on the other side. The top of the wick goes from side to side and the bottom ends where the step in the wick channel is. The piece is straight, didn't try to fray it or push it down at all.

The flavor seems to be a little better, I'm going to try the rayon in it at some point to see if that's the wick or the coil.

The first few weeks of my Gem I mostly used 28g kanthal which was good. I tried a few 26 gauge coils however the flavor really seemed to break down and was very muted compared to the 28 gauge. Since than I have been using 28g NI200 tempered and the flavor is incredible. The flavor is intense and consistent to the point I have lost the motivation to try other coils in the GEM, I just can't see how much better it can get. My new challenge is to try to get my other RTAs flavor as good as this build in the GEM however I am miserably failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread