DIY Recipe Advice For A Newbie: Apple Tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm about to delve into DIY for the first time in order to alleviate some of the cost of e-liquid. I am in a great spot as my wife has managed a local vapor store for 2 years that mixes their own house liquids. She's very good with mixing and even cloning recipes. However, tobacco flavors are not her thing.....

I am a one flavor sort of guy, and my current favorite is Apple Wildwood from Ahlusion. I am not expecting to clone it. I simply would like to create something like it that I also enjoy. For me Apple + Tobacco = Win.

I made an initial purchase from Ecigexpress last night which includes:

Capella Apple Pie
FA Shade Tobacco
FA Virginia Tobacco
FA Oakwood

I chose the tobaccos based on their descriptions and favorable reviews at Ecig Express.

I was hoping an experienced DIY'er might recommend some ratios to try based on these ingredients. In a pinch, I can pick up some other flavorings from the vapor shop if need be. They use TPA, Flavor West, and Lorann's flavorings. I'll be using a 50/50 base at 10mg/nic.

Thank you for any advice!

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
Just with those flavors, I would try about 3% apple pie and then maybe 0.25% of one of the tobacco. I personally would not do tobacco but to each is their own. Good luck with those flavors. Try right away and then let it steep about 1 week. That way you have something to go by on taste after waiting a week. Hope this helps.

Reactions: VaPreis

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I would mix up a small batch of each flavor by itself first. It's always good to know what it tastes like on it's own. It will give you a better idea of how strong it is. You can then mix the already made juices with each other. I've never used the ones you have, but have tried a few FA tobaccos. I like strong flavors and use them between 5 - 10%. There is a guy in the tobacco only thread who has an apple tobacco recipe posted, I'll see if I can find it and link it.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My wife helped me mix up my first bottle of my Apple Tobacco concoction this evening.

As I am the instant gratification type, I immediately stuffed a coil in my IGO-L (my favorite taste tester) and dripped it.

While think that aging it for a while will improve it, I think I found something I'm going to enjoy.

In a 10ml bottle using 60/40, 11mg base I used:

10% Capella Apple Pie
2.5% FA Shade Tobacco
2.5% FA Virginia (I like this one!)
1 drop FA Oakwood

In the small chance that anyone is interested, I'll report back in a week after it's aged a bit. :)

Reactions: Ablonz

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
Once you get close to the flavor you like, you then can mix them into 30 ml bottles. It would then be easier to mix in smaller percentages like the .25% I have mentioned above. Even a small percentage can give your juice just the right amount of accent flavor to make it an ADV. Sometimes less is more when it comes to flavorings. You could also just try the Apple pie with just the Virginia and see how that comes out since you like that one. :) You don't have to mix in every single flavor that you have although when I made my first batch, it was a 30 ml with 11 different flavors and it actually came out really good (Fruit Stripe Bubblegum). It only had a total of 11.5% flavoring. I was given 16 different flavors to start out with from a guy at a B&M that was getting out of DIYing. Take lots of notes!!!!

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Thank you for the advice. In retrospect, I probably could have gone without the Shade tobacco. Once, I smelled the Virginia, I knew it was the tobacco flavor I was hoping for, and I'll probably try another batch without the Shade, and instead 5% Virginia. I picked the initial percentages based on recommendations in the individual flavor reviews, and also found a couple of folks who recommended these two tobaccos together.

Fun Fact: "Oakwood" smells just like wood. ;)

Reactions: Ablonz

Broodmance

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2015
Houston
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/applewood-ry4.694330/

Thought I'd share this since I'm also an apple tobacco fan. This is my adv.

I have made it with FA 7Leaves at i think 2percent and it was good that way as well so if you interested for your next order. I plan to try with some of my new tobaccos I just got this weekend sometime this week. As well as finally making an apple cider.

Broodmance

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2015
Houston
Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
For what you have on hand I would single out one of the tobaccos at 1-2%, the oak at 1%, and 3% on the Capella apple pie (Capella is one of my favorite bakery flavor companies by the way>
If you want a pretty good apple tobacco flavoring you can also try apple jack DIY flavoring from Azure
http://www.azurevaping.com/diy-flav-applejacktobacco.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread