Kid arrested for ecig possession

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Criminalizing teens for quitting smoking is an atrocity. That's why I've always been against 18+ regs for harmless & effective vaping. After all, since NRT is available OTC for kids 12+, far safer, more effective, and more appealing vaping gear should be as well.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the U.S., NRT is not allowed to be sold to anyone under 18, but can be recommended for 12 and up. In the U.K., NRT can be sold to persons 12 and older, which to me, makes a lot more sense.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the U.S., NRT is not allowed to be sold to anyone under 18, but can be recommended for 12 and up. In the U.K., NRT can be sold to persons 12 and older, which to me, makes a lot more sense.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm198176.htm

If you are under 18 years of age and want to quit smoking, you should talk to a health care professional about potential use of nicotine replacement therapies.

OTC nicotine replacement products are approved for sale to persons 18 years of age and older. These products are available under brand names and sometimes as generic products. They include:

• skin patches known as transdermal nicotine patches. These patches are affixed to the skin, similar to how you would apply an adhesive bandage.
  • chewing gum also known as nicotine gum.
  • lozenges also known as nicotine lozenges. Lozenges are taken by dissolving in the mouth.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I would bet money the media contacted her because they were tipped off to the story by somebody else and I would conjecture that it was not a school or the kid's friends nor the mom.

The police don't call the media to report on children being arrested for a misdemeanor...
I know everything is a conspiracy in the vape world, however...

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
Police are on digital radios now and if you have ever heard police scanners, you would know they would be worthless in cases like this, given police don't give reports over the air...
I know people that listen to police scanners and hear plenty on them. From there, a quick search on social media would probably fill them in pretty quick. The press is good at finding stuff out when they want to.

Ongeslepen

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Amsterdamaged
I didn't read everything, and hopefully somebody already mentioned it. But the kid is 14, hitting puberty.
He's gonna do everything that you forbid him to do. He is gonna experiment, do weird, exciting, dangerous, cool idiotic stuff. That's what they are supposed to do.

I did anyway, that's why i'm addicted to nicotine today.

Reactions: Lessifer

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I'm pretty sure someone with the press has a police scanner and no life...

LOL, my neighbor has one and I know for a fact our local paper has one. Our furnace went wonky one day and I called the fire department for a possible house fire. A reporter got here before the fire department did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread