Tank Decision tomorrow, opinions appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Abrams

Account closed on request
Sep 21, 2015
New England
Since I am leaving town for awhile on business, tomorrow is my day to select my new tank. I can't do online given my travel.

I will go with temp control, but I'd really like something that produces clouds and flavor without getting very hot with regular kanthal. Maybe a tank with air holes in the drip tip. Will probably pair up with Segelei 150 TC or IVP3 Li. Suggestions on those (and other regulated TC box mods) are welcomed too.

Here's what I've looked at, and some reactions, listed in roughly my guestimated order of preference.

- Crown Uwell- seems well liked by all. Sold out at several shops here, so may take some hunting. Some commented about heavy on battery drain and coil replacement.
- Freemax Starre- nobody here knows anything about it, but the online reviews intrigue me. Who knows if I can find coils locally or when I travel. May be easier on juice and coils that the Crown, not sure? There is one on the shelf at almost every vape store here, and again, the employees are clueless on this one.
- Atlantis 2- has it's fans, and others can take it or leave it. But looks like it has drip tip holes for a cooler vape and I see good clouds on YouTube, for what that's worth.
- Arctic- also seems to have some fans and others who moved up to the Crown and were happier. Some flavor concerns.
- Herakles- I tried someone else's. It was only slightly smoother and cooler than the Kanger from what I can tell But everyone has them and coils are available and inexpensive.
- SMOK VCT- I can get a very good deal, $99.95 with XCube mod included. But availability of coils here looks like a issue, there are a dizzying array of coils if any can be found, and TC coils are not out yet. Would I get stuck with a hot vape, productive as it might be..... Also, looks like I'd need to use their app to move in and out of Joules TC mode. Anything happens to my phone, and I'd be screwed..... or maybe need to upgrade my Android as well, a project I'd rather do separately. But I heard it can produce among the best.

Open to suggestions...... again, seeking a TC capable tank that can make clouds, taste good, not kill my finances, and hopefully- do so at a tolerable vape temperature in regular kanthal watts mode as well.

Thanks,
Mike

Margucci

Oct 5, 2015
i would +1 the smok TFV4 or the TFV4 mini if you can find it and want something smaller. there are a plethora of coil options including kanthal, Ni, Ti, SS, as well a both a single and dual RBA base you can do whatever you want on. the vapor and cloud production across all coils has been rated extremely well (i have not personally tried them all though). the only downside is that the full size TFV4 is quite large and the coils drink juice (but with that vapor and flavor its to be expected).

personally im waiting on my smok xcube 2 to arrive so i can try out SS temp control on it. SS seems like the best of both worlds. if you want a full hot rich vape just run it in wattage mode. if you want something more moderate which saves battery and juice set it to temp control. cant go wrong.

Reactions: Vapin Dave

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
I have a Starre Pro and really dig it.
Coils readily available at many online Sources. Just be sure ya have a 5-pk on hand and don't sweat the local Gougers. Been on same Ni 0.15 Coil for over 3 weeks with average use (on my daytime at Work Mod) and no signs of degradation at all. Great combo of Flavor and Vapor with awesome Air Flow range. She does love to drink the Juice but as said above, that's to be expected on big Flavor & Vapor Attys. Easy to fill (Top-fill) and to disassemble for cleaning when need be. Can switch Coils easily without complete disassembly or Juice loss.
Love it but seriously wish it also came in black.
Only complaint or negative,,,, Sometimes it barely leaks Liquid from its 510 connector Pin. Possibly a User Error when cleaned it upon receiving (didn't tighten something properly in lower end) or a defective O-Ring in lower Pin area of the Atty (bought slightly used). Not enough of a pain to warrant diagnosing and correction now. Will wait till next Coil renewal and do complete disassembly, clean, and careful inspection/reassembly.

Was running it on a Sig 75TC and now exclusively on a Vapor Shark Vapor Flask. Awesome on both.

Overall, 2 thumbs up for the Freemax Starre Pro IMO.... :thumbs:
3 if it came in Black ;)

HexohmNation

Sep 29, 2015
Munich
@Hitcat44

The Black Starre Pro is available now. =)

starre-pro-black.jpg

@Mike Abrams
The Uwell Crown will get pretty hot on the 0.25ohm coils. The 0.15 Ni200 coils will heat up a lot as well. I guess thats the downside of using low reistance builds. Having said that I really love this tank. I prefer it to the TFV4.

Mike Abrams

Sep 21, 2015
New England
have you considered the SMOK TFV4?
I have considered the SMOK TFV4. In our area, I have found a few shops that carry it, though at near $50, and coils are whatever they can get their hands on. Though I'm finding a preference to go easy on the watts rather than temp control, I'd like that to be an option if it otherwise turns out to be too hot. Maybe online is the answer, but I'm traveling these days for work, in NJ, where I can't find anyone who carries either this or the Starre.

I have seen a few oddballs like the Vision MK and the Sense Cyclone---- I've seen mixed reviews as to whether or not it's an upgrade from the Herkales.

Right now, I have an Arctic that I like, an Atlantis V2 that's ok (the draw is a bit loose and moist no matter how I play with it), and a Crown that only operates on kenthal, since the priming the nickel coils seems to be a matter of days, unless you want burnt coils after 3 or 4 hits. I'm not that patient.

Mike Abrams

Sep 21, 2015
New England
@Hitcat44

The Black Starre Pro is available now. =)

View attachment 496676

@Mike Abrams
The Uwell Crown will get pretty hot on the 0.25ohm coils. The 0.15 Ni200 coils will heat up a lot as well. I guess thats the downside of using low reistance builds. Having said that I really love this tank. I prefer it to the TFV4.

As for the Starre Pro, it is really designed for temp control, from what I can tell. I found a shop or two back home that carries it, but it's one on the shelf, they know nothing about it, and not sure about the coils. As for the Crown with the 0.25 ohm coils, I will screw it on my mod a couple of times a week and be impressed by what it does, though not comfortable enough to be an everyday vape.

The Arctic is not perfect (small tank capacity, flavor is good but not great), but I do like the draw and it can produce plenty of clouds given the right juice. I guess I'd give it a B+, but it's good enough overall that I take it with me every day. I have a Kanger sub-mini that's nowhere in the same league, but I can vape it in certain places where big clouds would not be a good thing- such as in the car, or at work after most people have gone home.

sd3614

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
MIDWEST USA
Since I am leaving town for awhile on business, tomorrow is my day to select my new tank. I can't do online given my travel.

I will go with temp control, but I'd really like something that produces clouds and flavor without getting very hot with regular kanthal. Maybe a tank with air holes in the drip tip. Will probably pair up with Segelei 150 TC or IVP3 Li. Suggestions on those (and other regulated TC box mods) are welcomed too.

Here's what I've looked at, and some reactions, listed in roughly my guestimated order of preference.

- Crown Uwell- seems well liked by all. Sold out at several shops here, so may take some hunting. Some commented about heavy on battery drain and coil replacement.
- Freemax Starre- nobody here knows anything about it, but the online reviews intrigue me. Who knows if I can find coils locally or when I travel. May be easier on juice and coils that the Crown, not sure? There is one on the shelf at almost every vape store here, and again, the employees are clueless on this one.
- Atlantis 2- has it's fans, and others can take it or leave it. But looks like it has drip tip holes for a cooler vape and I see good clouds on YouTube, for what that's worth.
- Arctic- also seems to have some fans and others who moved up to the Crown and were happier. Some flavor concerns.
- Herakles- I tried someone else's. It was only slightly smoother and cooler than the Kanger from what I can tell But everyone has them and coils are available and inexpensive.
- SMOK VCT- I can get a very good deal, $99.95 with XCube mod included. But availability of coils here looks like a issue, there are a dizzying array of coils if any can be found, and TC coils are not out yet. Would I get stuck with a hot vape, productive as it might be..... Also, looks like I'd need to use their app to move in and out of Joules TC mode. Anything happens to my phone, and I'd be screwed..... or maybe need to upgrade my Android as well, a project I'd rather do separately. But I heard it can produce among the best.

Open to suggestions...... again, seeking a TC capable tank that can make clouds, taste good, not kill my finances, and hopefully- do so at a tolerable vape temperature in regular kanthal watts mode as well.

Thanks,
Mike

I have used or own everything in your list except the VCT.

Hands down the Crown, the TFV4 runner up ONLY if you want to use the Quad coils (the other coils lack air flow compared to Crown) and actually I would get a 1st generation StarreV2 (same as Maganus V2) for $20 vs. the Pro. Just because they added top fill does not mean they improved the tank. That is just my opinion having used both designs.

More on Crown...

1. On sale you can score a tank for $22
2. 3 coils in the pack - best deal searching out the tri .25 pack
3. Extra glass
4. Best top fill (again opinion), less messy than TFV4
5. Extra seals in the box

Downside? You have to really just vape your first tank at low wattage to break it in. Then it is usually smooth sailing.

Good luck sir :)

Mike Abrams

Sep 21, 2015
New England
Thanks..... By low wattage, do you have a range in mind? My first 0.5 SS just quit today after a week. Maybe the sweet chocolate juice was to blame. But the coil I put in today I couldnt resist, hit it too hard, and that was all it took to scorch it a few hours later.

By the way, my Arctic is going through coils like no tomorrow. I prefer the tight Arctic draw, and even the clouds, but the Crown has better flavor and I am seeing what mass produced Chinese coils sometimes cant do, especially on the Arctic.

The Crown is a keeper for sure, though I wonder if the Herakles would provide the strengths of both?

Many say these are all basically the same and inferior to drippers. I find plenty of differences in the personalities of these tanks however, and I do not yet have the experience or time for the DIY.

Sad to say, my most reliable tank is Kanger sub mini. Not very satisfying in comparison, but no hassle at all. Also, my recent Kanger coils have been good, unlike back when I first got it.

Thanks again,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread