Mech Mods vs VV mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
looking to upgrade from my evic vt 60w in a few months and was wondering which would be better for sub ohm coils and an rda. mainly looking for flavor but would like to chase clouds as well. currently bought the mutation xs which is basically a mutation x v4 mini version. probably will stick with that for a while until i get comfortable with rda's.

would one be better then another or does it really not matter? i have heard mech mods basically run on whatever ohm your coils are and battery power so if your power is low your wattage will be low as well. not sure if this is true. with an RDA i will probably only be vaping at home and by no means am in it for competition but like to get a great amount of vapor out of my mod/build in general.

for the mech mod im looking at getting the tug boat box mod ( am open to other suggestion i am into box mods not those pen like ones ) and for the VV mod im looking at the snow wolf 200wat box mod.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
"Better" is a matter of opinion, it's all a matter of what you're looking for.

As to power dropping off, yes, that's a fact of battery performance. A fully charged 18650 will be 4.2 volts. The more you fire your device, the lower battery voltage gets. If you want consistency from the first to the last vape and DON'T want ANY variation in power, then a regulated mod is the answer. For someone like me that enjoys the hobby aspect of vaping, mechs can be fun.

Now, even though the higher-powered regulated mods need to have good batteries capable of sustaining higher current output, with a mech, you need to be even more aware of the resistance of your builds, and have at least some familiarity with calculating current using Ohm's law. On a regulated mod, if you happen to screw up your build and create a direct short, you still have the protective functions putting a layer of safety between you and battery failure - not so on a mech.

For example, if you start out with a 0.3 ohm build, with a fully charged battery you'll be at 58.8 watts. When you're at about 50% charge state (about 3.7 volts, give or take) you'll be around 45 watts. That can be a pretty significant difference - and also about where a lot of mech users will swap to another battery. Depending on what battery you're using, the resistance of your build, and how much you're vaping, you could be swapping out batteries every hour or two, or once or twice a day Some people don't mind doing that, for some it can be a pain in the .....

I like my mechs, they're simple, easy to use, and durable. But these days, with the prevalence of good quality regulated mods, I have a difficult time recommending one to a new vaper.

I don't have any experience with the tugboat or the snow wolf, so I'll leave the discussion about those to someone else.

Danbrooks2k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Pensacola, Florida
I have an old 18650 bolt clone laying around somewhere. It was my first mech mod choice because of the side firing button, I hate bottom firing... feels awkward. I had a pipe mod, and I do have a micro stick. I don't use any of them. I never felt that one metal tube hit any harder or was more valuable than any other metal tube. I think removing batteries and carrying along a separate charger is a pain in the rear and a needless hassle. I knew mech mods were not for me as soon as I owned my first 11 watt MVP. Now that I can get used 60 watt MVPs for 30-40$, used Istick 50 watts for 25$ and I even got the X-cube used for 35$ ( even though I have to remove the batteries )...

Mech mods will last forever and as long as you have a fresh battery you will get full power behind your vape. Some mech mods may be worth money to collectors eventually. Not worth a penny to me.

Regulated mods will give you a great vape that can be dialed it to your desired wattage. Electronics especially those with built in batteries will eventually fail. I have seen Isticks take a crap after a month. My MVP2 that is almost 3 years old just got pulled out of a box... I haven't fired it in 8 months maybe... still charged and in the green.
Regulated mods will probably become outdated and be worth no money in the future. DNA mods do seem to hold value pretty well, and provaris still fetch over 100$ to the right crowd.

The choice is up to you. If you are a collector go with mechs I suppose. I have no use for them whatsoever.

i

Reactions: K_Tech

smokin909

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2014
Milan to Minsk
Mechs are great if you want to get into the hobbyist aspect as mentioned up-thread. I enjoy playing around with different setups and different vaping styles and like the looks and styling of them and enjoy collecting them.
With mechs, wattage is related to coil build itself. If you are running a coil that is 0.4ohms you'll get the highest wattage (or power) when the battery is fresh (4.2V) and then the power drops as the battery depletes. With a VW device, if you want higher wattage you just press a button, with a mech you'll have to build a different coil to get a higher or lower wattage from the device. If you want a set-up that doesn't require to much tinkering around, then mechs might not be your thing.
If you'd like to have a tinker with some user protection have a look at some of the hybrid 'unregulated' mods. I use a Tesla 2 Sub Box Mod for a number of reasons (mainly battery life and as my travel mod), and recommend it to users new to mech mods because it has a chip that offers short circuit protection and a spring loaded 510 pin so you won't have to worry about shorting your battery with a hybrid top cap.
'Unregulated' hybrid mods like these can be a good way of learning the ins-and-outs of ohms law and battery voltage with a bit of a safety net and if you decide it's for you, you can expand in true mechs that are completely mechanical and unregulated.
The Tugboat is is true unregulated mechanical box mod - just make sure you buy two fresh GOOD batteries from a trusted source and 'marry' them to the mod. That means you use only those two batteries with the tugboat only. You might want to get four so that you can have a pair always charged up. I label mine 1A, 1B and 2A, 2B and only use the 1A/1B together and the 2A/2B together on my Storm - same principle applies to all dual battery mods - including the regulated Snow Wolf, Sigelie etc. Don't build beyond the batteries' specs and limits - that's part of the safety aspect and limitations of mech mods.
The Tuglyfe has a spring loaded 510 so you won't have to worry about shorting your batteries with the atomiser. I like the authentic Tuglyfe box mod, it's clean on the inside, nicely finished and I'm close to pulling the trigger on a zombie splatter one (please don't hate me).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenn1181

3ebmike

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2015
looking to upgrade from my evic vt 60w in a few months and was wondering which would be better for sub ohm coils and an rda. mainly looking for flavor but would like to chase clouds as well. currently bought the mutation xs which is basically a mutation x v4 mini version. probably will stick with that for a while until i get comfortable with rda's.

would one be better then another or does it really not matter? i have heard mech mods basically run on whatever ohm your coils are and battery power so if your power is low your wattage will be low as well. not sure if this is true. with an RDA i will probably only be vaping at home and by no means am in it for competition but like to get a great amount of vapor out of my mod/build in general.

for the mech mod im looking at getting the tug boat box mod ( am open to other suggestion i am into box mods not those pen like ones ) and for the VV mod im looking at the snow wolf 200wat box mod.

Definitely get the Snow Wolf, You'll want to be able to have a reliant supply of power all the time and be able to set your wattage at certain watts. If I'm not mistaken the snow wolf has a mech mode on it as well if you really want that, but to me its outdated and you'd be a lot better off going with VW/VV

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

With a vv mod, you make your coil, then adjust your volts on the mod until you like the taste.

With a mech mod, you make your coil then if it's too cold you make over a coil with less wraps or if it's too hot you make over the coil with more wraps.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
For me, it was only a matter of learning to build well for a mech to realize I liked them as much as regulated mods. But, surprise! I find mechs work best for me using attys that don't need high power. The ramp up time is too slow for me using coils with a lot of mass. And I have to change my batteries too often. A mech works great though with ordinary coils, and I can vape until about 3.5v just fine.

Eitje

Sep 2, 2015
At some point in time, if you wanted more power, a mech was the only way to go.
The regulated devices didn't surpass 10-15 or so watts or were limited by there 2-3 amp draw. (Both considered a lot in the day)

Nowadays regulated devices can be pushed to 200-300 watts if the rights batteries are supplied hence the real need for mechs is gone.

If you like the mechanical, durability or esthetic part of mechs than they do hold value.
For day to day use, a regulated device is much more pratical and versatile.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
Mechs are great if you want to get into the hobbyist aspect as mentioned up-thread. I enjoy playing around with different setups and different vaping styles and like the looks and styling of them and enjoy collecting them.
With mechs, wattage is related to coil build itself. If you are running a coil that is 0.4ohms you'll get the highest wattage (or power) when the battery is fresh (4.2V) and then the power drops as the battery depletes. With a VW device, if you want higher wattage you just press a button, with a mech you'll have to build a different coil to get a higher or lower wattage from the device. If you want a set-up that doesn't require to much tinkering around, then mechs might not be your thing.
If you'd like to have a tinker with some user protection have a look at some of the hybrid 'unregulated' mods. I use a Tesla 2 Sub Box Mod for a number of reasons (mainly battery life and as my travel mod), and recommend it to users new to mech mods because it has a chip that offers short circuit protection and a spring loaded 510 pin so you won't have to worry about shorting your battery with a hybrid top cap.
'Unregulated' hybrid mods like these can be a good way of learning the ins-and-outs of ohms law and battery voltage with a bit of a safety net and if you decide it's for you, you can expand in true mechs that are completely mechanical and unregulated.
The Tugboat is is true unregulated mechanical box mod - just make sure you buy two fresh GOOD batteries from a trusted source and 'marry' them to the mod. That means you use only those two batteries with the tugboat only. You might want to get four so that you can have a pair always charged up. I label mine 1A, 1B and 2A, 2B and only use the 1A/1B together and the 2A/2B together on my Storm - same principle applies to all dual battery mods - including the regulated Snow Wolf, Sigelie etc. Don't build beyond the batteries' specs and limits - that's part of the safety aspect and limitations of mech mods.
The Tuglyfe has a spring loaded 510 so you won't have to worry about shorting your batteries with the atomiser. I like the authentic Tuglyfe box mod, it's clean on the inside, nicely finished and I'm close to pulling the trigger on a zombie splatter one (please don't hate me).

yea i was eyeing those splattered ones very nice but almost always sold out

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
yea i was eyeing those splattered ones very nice but almost always sold out
selectvape has probably the best prices I've seen on the tugboat unregulated box mods, $105 for the solid colors, $115 for splatter. Limited colors, I think black, black / red splatter, black / blue splatter, and maybe a couple others, but cheaper than Flawless, or Local Vape.

http://www.selectvape.com/tuglyfe-unregulated-box-mod-by-flawless-p/tuglyfeboxblack.htm
http://www.selectvape.com/tuglyfe-unregulated-box-mod-by-flawless-p/tuglyfeboxblackred.htm

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
I think I've seen cheaper ones the $105 for the solid colors if I am not mistaken I saw one new legit for $80-90 and the splattered ones around $100 only about $10 more then the solid colors bust some were sold out. anything beats paying $130-150 here I mean it's ironic how expensive vape shops here in Hawaii are even with shipping it's cheaper. wouldn't mind supporting local businesses but not if I can get it for cheaper. I don't mind waiting 1 week for a package

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
I think I've seen cheaper ones the $105 for the solid colors if I am not mistaken I saw one new legit for $80-90 and the splattered ones around $100 only about $10 more then the solid colors bust some were sold out. anything beats paying $130-150 here I mean it's ironic how expensive vape shops here in Hawaii are even with shipping it's cheaper. wouldn't mind supporting local businesses but not if I can get it for cheaper. I don't mind waiting 1 week for a package
That's pretty cheap, probably why they were sold out. Heh. Most other online vendors I've seen that carry them sell them at MSRP, which is why I linked selectvape.

Honestly I expect to pay full MSRP at a B&M for authentics, so $130-150 isn't bad really.
--

I had my eye on a tugboat unregulated box, but saw they came out with a dna200 variant, and picked that up instead.

cMatPlw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread