DNA 40 with battery tube question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ong.kelvin

Jul 9, 2015
How do I connect the battery negative from DNA40 to a battery tube fitted into a wooden box mod. I have ordered myself a fat daddy vapes brass battery tube but don't see how the negative is suppose to connect to the tube bottom cap.
Also through Google I have come across a couple of high end mod internals without a battery negative connection.
Sorry if my question is elementary as I am still learning how to build myself a mod.

Reactions: xtwosm0kesx

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Looking at the pictures of the tube, and assuming you want to keep the bottom cap able to unscrew for easy battery access, i would say the only option is to solder the negative to the outside of the tube itself, though to do so is going to require a decent amount of heat. You may be able to get a small area of the tube hot enough for solder to stick using a very wide soldering tip, other wise it may take a few seconds with a torch.

Any reason you chose the tube rather than a standard 18650 battery sled (aside from aesthetics?), the 40 will only pull 16amps max so the sled/wiring doesn't have to be super heavy duty.

Best of luck!

ong.kelvin

Jul 9, 2015
Have a look at the mods below. Will it work if the battery negative is not connected?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Some chips have bat- connected to out- (outside of 510). Some (dna25?) label it out+ since they use a negative output signal. If that is the case you don't need an additional ground wire from the battery to the board. The case ground to the atomizer will be enough. My GDNA 40 has no connection to bat- and works fine at high watts.
Use a meter to check the connectivity on your board.

Reactions: asdaq

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Ahh, I think I read into the question the wrong way. Yes that works as there is a common ground on the board. I imagined that there was an issue with getting the negative from the battery tube itself. I use the bat- on the board, but not the out-. That said, if I disconnect the bat-, but there is an atty connected, it will still run the board enough to light the screen. Of course it wont fire that way though.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
To my understanding by just grounding the B- is insufficient grounding for the OUT. I have watched a few of Kudzu's vides and he recommends to also ground GND. Have you had any problems during firing without GND grounded?
If they're common, what's your point?

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Most people read and follow the mfg instructions, I was part of team for the mod (GDNA) drmarble referred to, originally designed for the DNA30, when we moved to the 40, we looked to keep wire lengths down, so we metered the board and found them to be common, then conferred with Brandon at Evolv who agreed, so we went with the GND contact point for both the bat- and atty gnd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread